You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby FCB general » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am

Ruht wrote:Mate, trust me, there are people here in the UK that can barely speak the language. Far too many actually. You won't be the worst, that's for sure. If you want to get better at speaking English then moving abroad is definitely the best way to do it. It will be incredibly hard the first few months, but once you get used to it you will be okay.

Well, I believe you totally. Why? Because I'm really paying today for my sins in the past. When I was 10 my father told me to start studying English outside of school so I can learn it perfectly to speak, read and write. In that time I didn't on that, about advantages of learning other languages so I rather perfered spend my free time either outside playing football or in front of TV playing Sega Mega and later PS1, some PC strategy games and so long.
He didn't force me, he let me to decide and I regret last 5 years because I hadn't listened him in that time. Today it's not too late, I can cope with everything, including delay on with languages, but other duties and obligations will limit my time what wasn't a case in my childhood. My grandfather who spent 40 years in Stuttgart has been criticizing me(and he still does :) ) because of that laziness and lack of interest for smart things and I absolutely agree, he is totally right when he is saying that I should have already learned great both English and German by the age of 19-20 and since I'm 24 now and I haven't learn one so far. :) :roll:
So that all motivates me to understand how it's never late to learn something and I'm still young and I can catch up with these things. Only one spring semester is waiting for me on my college, I pass my exams, finish the last year and then graduation. After that languages will come to papa because I am ashamed of myself when I recall that English was my best and favourite subject in primary school. :) I'm going to revive that.

And yeah, moving to other countries can really change everything. My friend was and it is once again on seasonal work in California, he talked me about his experience, stressed how he's started to think on English after 7 months spent there, really get well with communication with others, etc.

I think Daniel has suggested me to THINK on foreign language, yeah... That's something what it's missing to me, undeveloped skill in my brain cells. :D

You noticed from me sometimes here that I post sources from TZ which are written on German. How is possible for someone who never studied the language to quote and tell, share and traslate? Yeah... That's interesting. I was watching Astra satelite channels in late 90's and early 2000's, precisely up to 2007 or 2008. Yes, I was watching and listening a lot of time the same cartoons or TV movies, especially Doppelpass, BuLi pur, ZDF Sportstudio, BuLi aktuell, etc.

So, it's possible but you just have to work on it harder as you can. Imagine, you can read but you can't speak and understand everything than sport dictionary. :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that's me. Silly man. :mrgreen:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby Ruht » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 am

English is probably one of the easiest languages to learn, and with almost the whole world operating in English nowadays it won't be that hard for you to improve on your skills. You can learn SO much by just watching movies. If you can start thinking in English that would help you a lot as well, I agree.

At 24 you are not really old though, you can still learn to speak fluently in both German and English. Like the great saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way" :lol:
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United Kingdom
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 am

Ruht wrote:English is probably one of the easiest languages to learn,

Yes and no. Few languages are similar to English, which can make it difficult because it's too different from your native language. As you rightly said though, it's the easiest language to practice.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Can anyone recommend me a TV media player for my uncle? Preferably has support for SPDIF and under 100 euros. I was looking at WD TV Play. It has streaming features and apps which are unneeded but has optical audio. Bought a cheap unbranded Chinese media player which plays everything and at 1080p. The only problem is that it does not support two simultaneous output sources. He wants to connect using HDMI for video to the TV and A/V cable (Red & White) to the Bose system but only sound or video can be played at a time. Else it would have been fine.

Also looking at Dune HD Media players but are over 100 euros. Any other media players ?
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 pm

There are loads of Chinese Android devices with XBMC on them...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 am

Ruht wrote:English is probably one of the easiest languages to learn

Absolutely true, it's not difficult. It might be for some people who are not good in languages. I've few examples in my environment, guys just can't read or speak either English or German. But I always think that's because they are completely uninterested for them, not because they simply can't. Maybe if we talk about Asiatic languages like Chinese, Japanese or Korean - yes. However, Italian, Spanish, English - no way. I can sing songs on Spanish since I like(beside English) to listen some of Latinamerican musicians. The same thing was with couple of Italian songs.

Ruht wrote:and with almost the whole world operating in English nowadays it won't be that hard for you to improve on your skills. You can learn SO much by just watching movies. If you can start thinking in English that would help you a lot as well, I agree.

Soon, soon...(but I won't post staring horse on the window here :mrgreen: )

Once I graduate I'm starting very intensively on English to catch everything inculding business course. I have already some books used to translate specific parts for making college essays/seminars, so I can expect to use them for diploma thesis.

Ruht wrote:At 24 you are not really old though, you can still learn to speak fluently in both German and English. Like the great saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way" :lol:

Tnx, I'll take this as a compliment, haha. :D

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Yes and no. Few languages are similar to English, which can make it difficult because it's too different from your native language.

Yes and no as well, but... I have to say that the similar languages can also cause big problems. As we Croats have the
nearest link with Slovakian, Macedonian and Slovenian language(Serbian/Bosnian are the same as ours), doesn't mean we are going to learn it easily. That's why some people are having a problem with Russian. They just think: "Yeah, we're gonna learn it, it's similar to our language and there won't be major issues", but then happens the opposite effect. :)
Especially that comes with Russian and Ukrainian and not to forget mention Czech. I can hear a lot of words in those languages which are the same meaning on Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian/Montenegrin, but lots of others are very unfamiliar, they have different pronaunciation, etc. So, I would say that depend from person to person.

To learn Slovenian I guess you have to learn one Croatian regional dialect which is also present in Slovenian(kajkavian). :)

For instance, Scholl7, Paddy and other members from Slovenia can perfectly understand me, but I can't them that much. I have to give my best and concentrate. :lol: The same thing happens with Macedonian, they can understand Croatian/Serbian perfectly, but we can't their language. Reason is former Yugoslavia, where Serbo-Croatian language was the offical language in all 6 republics.

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 am

FCB general wrote:Yes and no as well, but... I have to say that the similar languages can also cause big problems. As we Croats have the
nearest link with Slovakian, Macedonian and Slovenian language(Serbian/Bosnian are the same as ours), doesn't mean we are going to learn it easily. That's why some people are having a problem with Russian. They just think: "Yeah, we're gonna learn it, it's similar to our language and there won't be major issues", but then happens the opposite effect. :)
Especially that comes with Russian and Ukrainian and not to forget mention Czech. I can hear a lot of words in those languages which are the same meaning on Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian/Montenegrin, but lots of others are very unfamiliar, they have different pronaunciation, etc. So, I would say that depend from person to person.

To learn Slovenian I guess you have to learn one Croatian regional dialect which is also present in Slovenian(kajkavian). :)

For instance, Scholl7, Paddy and other members from Slovenia can perfectly understand me, but I can't them that much. I have to give my best and concentrate. :lol: The same thing happens with Macedonian, they can understand Croatian/Serbian perfectly, but we can't their language. Reason is former Yugoslavia, where Serbo-Croatian language was the offical language in all 6 republics.

Very interesting post. :)

I can empathise with you when you say that just because languages are close it doesn't mean that you will learn bith easily. I studied Italian for 5 years at school, and French for 7. Despite their similarities, I consider myself to be quite competent in French but terrible in Italian (although I do have a decent grade in it :mrgreen: ). I can comprehend and write well in French, and can keep a conversation going as long as I have time to pause and think, but these days I only understand Italian when I read it and can hardly keep a basic conversation going, let alone complex. Funnily I am more exposed to Italian than to French, so I have no idea how that happened.

Same words with different meanings in different langauges are also tricky. A few years ago I went to Spain and I know maybe a total of 5 Spanish words. The entire week I was communicating with a mixture of English, Italian, and body language. An incident I remember is that I wanted to say "red", so I said "rosso" (in Italian). Apparently, "rosso" is "pink" in Spanish, not red (perhaps Xabi can confirm). It took some effort to get the message acroos, especially because I couldn't immediately understand what the misunderstanding was.

Your comment on speakers of other languages understanding you but yiu being unable to understand them is interesting because they say that it is the case with Maltese and Arabic (especially North African dialects). We understand very little but they understand a lot of what we say. I have never been able to confirm this so fae though.

One advantage you have with English is that with its present status as a lingua franca, outside English-speaking countries you will find many who speak the standardised version. Most of the regional dialects are also easily understandable if you speak the standard version, and practically alll speakers of regional dialects speak standard English as well. So as far as dialects are concerned you don't really have much of a problem in English. It's not as bas as, say, learning German then going to live in Bavaria.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:40 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
FCB general wrote:Yes and no as well, but... I have to say that the similar languages can also cause big problems. As we Croats have the

Very interesting post. :)

I can empathise with you when you say that just because languages are close it doesn't mean that you will learn bith easily. I studied Italian for 5 years at school, and French for 7. Despite their similarities, I consider myself to be quite competent in French but terrible in Italian (although I do have a decent grade in it :mrgreen: ). I can comprehend and write well in French, and can keep a conversation going as long as I have time to pause and think, but these days I only understand Italian when I read it and can hardly keep a basic conversation going, let alone complex. Funnily I am more exposed to Italian than to French, so I have no idea how that happened.

Same words with different meanings in different langauges are also tricky. A few years ago I went to Spain and I know maybe a total of 5 Spanish words. The entire week I was communicating with a mixture of English, Italian, and body language. An incident I remember is that I wanted to say "red", so I said "rosso" (in Italian). Apparently, "rosso" is "pink" in Spanish, not red (perhaps Xabi can confirm). It took some effort to get the message acroos, especially because I couldn't immediately understand what the misunderstanding was.

Your comment on speakers of other languages understanding you but yiu being unable to understand them is interesting because they say that it is the case with Maltese and Arabic (especially North African dialects). We understand very little but they understand a lot of what we say. I have never been able to confirm this so fae though.

One advantage you have with English is that with its present status as a lingua franca, outside English-speaking countries you will find many who speak the standardised version. Most of the regional dialects are also easily understandable if you speak the standard version, and practically alll speakers of regional dialects speak standard English as well. So as far as dialects are concerned you don't really have much of a problem in English. It's not as bas as, say, learning German then going to live in Bavaria.

In Spanish
rosso - roja
rosa - pink

re N.African v Maltese I am aware of it too... I think one of the reasons being that we speak with a slower tempo than they do. I had a discussion I've forgot with whom in a different thread about this I think it was Element or BayernLove (someone from Jordan-Asia) and he still was able to understand some sentences! Amazing.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 am

ramsej84 wrote: In Spanish
rosso - roja
rosa - pink

re N.African v Maltese I am aware of it too... I think one of the reasons being that we speak with a slower tempo than they do. I had a discussion I've forgot with whom in a different thread about this I think it was Element or BayernLove (someone from Jordan-Asia) and he still was able to understand some sentences! Amazing.

I don't remember that instance but I've had BayernLove understand some phrases on facebook :)

I think it's very different in speech rather than a written message on Facebook. I would imagine it should be easier to understand speech, but I still find myself unable to understand anything (when watching a match with Arabic commentary for example). Still, it is fascinating that they understand some written Maltese considering imthat Arabic is written completely different

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm

There is no rosso in Spanish. Red is Roja, Pink is Rosa, and Shame is Leverkusen. 'nough with the translations.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Probably I had said "rossa", the feminine version, not "rosso"

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Probably I had said "rossa", the feminine version, not "rosso"

maybe you said something like- voglio quella maglietta rossa! :wink:
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Who knows? I honestly can't remember what it was about. :)

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:58 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Probably I had said "rossa", the feminine version, not "rosso"

maybe you said something like- voglio quella maglietta rossa! :wink:

Probably more like: voglio quella ragazza con la maglietta rossa!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm

tflags wrote:... and Shame is Leverkusen.

Although if you use 'schalke' they'll also understand.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge