You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby runaway » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Yeah a foreign language is always easier to learn when you're young. Continuous reinforcement is what's important. In my country and when I was studying, English is the 2nd language. We even had a English only policy in high school so I got to practice a lot. Hang in there! You know maybe experiencing a place where you're forced to speak English will really challenge you and help you erase that block. It's all about confidence. :wink:

I'm sorry Firefox, can you just move them? :P
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby FCB general » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Not that i dont sympathize with FCB general, just dont do it in this thread :mrgreen:

Wow... That's really sounded acidly. :mrgreen:

To me it's important that Guardiola knows, he simply knows... Doesn't matter how, but knows! What does he know? Who cares... We can say everything; coaching, winning, dancing, slaping... :lol:

runaway wrote:Yeah a foreign language is always easier to learn when you're young.

Especially if you are 2-3 years old and born in the foreign country. I started at the age of 3 speak fluent German with my Croatian, but for only a year there and with only 3 years of life I couldn't memorize it. I should better try study both Slovak and Bulagrian/Macedonian which are almost the same language as Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin languages. :lol: Who says I'm not a polyglot when I can speak 4 languages 1000% FLUENTLY, English and maybe a little bit Slovenian. :mrgreen:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm

To continue with the subject. I started taking German lessons (basic) once a week last October. Trust me it is a complex, difficult however very rich and expressive language. My regret was that when I had the chance to choose a 3rd language when I was 11 yrs old (cause here in Malta we start learning both Maltese & English simultaneously as soon as we start school since we have both languages as official languages) I chose French over German; I still cannot understand why I did it... :evil:
To learn a language you have to practice it (preferably to live in a country were the language is spoken) , listen to it, speak it and read otherwise you will forget it. I can speak of myself - I've studied French for 5 years and passed my final exams however I still remember very basic words and phrases and am only able to understand the language only if I read.
The other language that I feel confident about is Italian. Most Maltese can speak/understand Italian not only cause of our geographical location but also because of all the Italian TV stations we used to watch.
My objective for the German language is to at least understand what I read(which I really improved in) and to be able to hold basic conversations, and also to understand it while is is being spoken.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm

I don't have problems with reading languages. I've never studied German or Spanish, but I know read, however not speak and understand. I don't how's that possible. :lol: That's an advantage of some nations which they have 2 offical languages like you Maltese people for instance or force English like Dutch, Scandinavian people. We have here English as a 2nd language in schools from the first grade, but not in equal position with Croatian. Few years ago Ministry of education decided to put another foreign language(optional) in the 4th/5th grade of primary school, but that's up to children and parents to decide whether they want start studying or not.

Well, if you learn Italian you already almost know Spanish. If you want to speak Spanish, you just start talking Italian. :mrgreen:

Slaven Bilić first interview at Lokomotiv where he was trying to speak Russian, but 90% of spoken was Croatian. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby Firefox1234 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:35 pm

FCB general wrote:Wow... That's really sounded acidly. :mrgreen:

Lol! Didnt mean to sound rude, dont want MUTU thinking im sleeping on the job :P
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Timpson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Hello

I am sorry when i write this wrong topic but someone could be make me signature?

If you can make me then write pm...

Sorry for bad English. -.-

Thank You!
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's BAYERN MUNICH till I'm DEAD

No one likes us, we don`t care!
Timpson
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCB general » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 am

Firefox1234 wrote:
FCB general wrote:Wow... That's really sounded acidly. :mrgreen:

Lol! Didnt mean to sound rude, dont want MUTU thinking im sleeping on the job :P

Mission accomplished! Lol came out from you. :lol: Of course you didn't mean and it definitely didn't sound rude. :wink:

FCB general

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:27 am

FCB general wrote:
MUTU wrote:He could either have meant:

Pep's English is worse than his German.

or else:

Pep's English is worst, then his German.

The first one, no doubt. But I didn't want to comment anything about those mistakes since I make mistakes here and especially when I speak, maybe not that much when I write here or read but when it comes to talk, Jesus... I'm getting only worse. I almost forgot everything what I knew when I had 12-13 years. Just don't know what I should do and how to speak more correct and clearer, especially faster. :( I can't do a God damn thing while I'm reading articles and listening TV shows and movies. I still haven't found out how to get better in talking and thinking on the other language and solve a problem called stuttering. :roll: I should have listened my father when I was a kid when he wanted to send me in private language school. #-o Here on this forum I can't entirely express myself, what do I really think about tactics, analysis, etc.

We all make mistakes. I commented not because he made a mistake, but because of its irony considering the content of the post. :)

Regarding the language, I know it's cliché but it's really all practice. Personally my main spoken language is Maltese, but while I write very well in Maltese (I daresay better than many), I am much more comfortable writing in English because most of the time, when I write it's in English. On the other hand I am less comfortable speaking in English than in Maltese, but I have become much more confortable in recent years, both because of my studies and because I started working as an EFL teacher.

When speaking in English my only real problem is when I'm speaking to another bilingual. In Malta we have a good number of people who are English-speaking. One of my best friends is one and I can't get myself to speak English to her simply because I know she understands Maltese. So we have a situation where we speak different languages to each other but completely understand each other. :P Funnily, when talking on Facebook I always use English with her, probably because it's written.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:56 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
FCB general wrote:
MUTU wrote:He could either have meant:

Pep's English is worse than his German.

or else:

Pep's English is worst, then his German.

The first one, no doubt. But I didn't want to comment anything about those mistakes since I make mistakes here and especially when I speak, maybe not that much when I write here or read but when it comes to talk, Jesus... I'm getting only worse. I almost forgot everything what I knew when I had 12-13 years. Just don't know what I should do and how to speak more correct and clearer, especially faster. :( I can't do a God damn thing while I'm reading articles and listening TV shows and movies. I still haven't found out how to get better in talking and thinking on the other language and solve a problem called stuttering. :roll: I should have listened my father when I was a kid when he wanted to send me in private language school. #-o Here on this forum I can't entirely express myself, what do I really think about tactics, analysis, etc.

We all make mistakes. I commented not because he made a mistake, but because of its irony considering the content of the post. :)

Regarding the language, I know it's cliché but it's really all practice. Personally my main spoken language is Maltese, but while I write very well in Maltese (I daresay better than many), I am much more comfortable writing in English because most of the time, when I write it's in English. On the other hand I am less comfortable speaking in English than in Maltese, but I have become much more confortable in recent years, both because of my studies and because I started working as an EFL teacher.

When speaking in English my only real problem is when I'm speaking to another bilingual. In Malta we have a good number of people who are English-speaking. One of my best friends is one and I can't get myself to speak English to her simply because I know she understands Maltese. So we have a situation where we speak different languages to each other but completely understand each other. :P Funnily, when talking on Facebook I always use English with her, probably because it's written.

Istja is the same with me... My theory is that since you will be aware of the fact that they aren't English you won't make that extra effort. At work I encounter a lot of them (tal Pepe) and really hate the fact that even though they are Maltese they still opt to speak Eng even if it is not always perfect. On the other hand I feel really comfortable speaking to foreigners especially from the UK
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 am

ramsej84 wrote:stja is the same with me... My theory is that since you will be aware of the fact that they aren't English you won't make that extra effort. At work I encounter a lot of them (tal Pepe) and really hate the fact that even though they are Maltese they still opt to speak Eng even if it is not always perfect. On the other hand I feel really comfortable speaking to foreigners especially from the UK

To be honest I don't really mind that they opt to speak in English, and I have grown to mind those who switch between the two less and less. But just the knowledge that they will understand me in Maltese prevents me from communicating in English.

Like you, I have absolutely no problem with foreigners (Thank Goodness for that)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ruht » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 am

FCB general wrote:
Ruht wrote:No one cares if you make mistakes while writing mate. Don't worry about it.

Express yourself as best as you can, we won't have problems understanding you. :)

It's not that problem here to write down what I think. Imagine mate, I think I better express myself by typing on keyboard than live talking to someone. I know it's absolutely normal to make mistakes, but when I start talking I consequence with a lot of problems. Can't recall in some situations what to do, I'm not that fast, my tounge's getting intricate, haha. I

Mate, trust me, there are people here in the UK that can barely speak the language. Far too many actually. You won't be the worst, that's for sure. If you want to get better at speaking English then moving abroad is definitely the best way to do it. It will be incredibly hard the first few months, but once you get used to it you will be okay.

As for learning a language, I'd agree that it is much, much easier when you are a kid. I started going to German lessons in the summer and now understand a bit more, but darn it it's so hard to get it into my head! I know some Japanese and in the summer I'm most probably going to Hong Kong so I'll be starting Cantonese lessons. I can't memorise symbols to save my life, so that would be exciting! Really wish I had learnt German in school..
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 am

Ruht wrote:As for learning a language, I'd agree that it is much, much easier when you are a kid

That's pretty much a linguistic fact. In my opinion of you really want to become fluent in a language is to learn the basics (whether through organised lessons or self-taught through online resources, as I am doing with German, is up to you) and then immerse yourself in the language by moving abroad. It is important that you get yourself to practice the language continually and learn to think in that language. Moving is the easiest way to do that.

Just remember, when you have children of your own, do them a favour and pass on your languages from an early stage.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ruht » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:06 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Ruht wrote:As for learning a language, I'd agree that it is much, much easier when you are a kid

That's pretty much a linguistic fact. In my opinion of you really want to become fluent in a language is to learn the basics (whether through organised lessons or self-taught through online resources, as I am doing with German, is up to you) and then immerse yourself in the language by moving abroad. It is important that you get yourself to practice the language continually and learn to think in that language. Moving is the easiest way to do that.

Just remember, when you have children of your own, do them a favour and pass on your languages from an early stage.

Yeap, pretty much. Sadly for me I really don't have the time to take lessons right now and the only time I listen to someone speaking in German is when I'm watching the Bundesliga.
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Ruht wrote:Yeap, pretty much. Sadly for me I really don't have the time to take lessons right now and the only time I listen to someone speaking in German is when I'm watching the Bundesliga

You'd be surprised how much that helps, as well as the occasional German banner or headline. I never took structured lessons in German and thought that I didn't know anything, but when I started trying to teach it to myself a few months ago I realised that I knew a lot more than I thought I did.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ruht » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Ruht wrote:Yeap, pretty much. Sadly for me I really don't have the time to take lessons right now and the only time I listen to someone speaking in German is when I'm watching the Bundesliga

You'd be surprised how much that helps, as well as the occasional German banner or headline. I never took structured lessons in German and thought that I didn't know anything, but when I started trying to teach it to myself a few months ago I realised that I knew a lot more than I thought I did.

Oh I know, just from watching games in German and reading newspapers I've actually learnt a lot. It is better than nothing of course, so I can't complain!
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge