You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Postby tracylynn » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm going to start my German classes next month so I can be ready for my time in Germany. Ooooh, I can't wait to go. I'll have to go to some games while I'm there and take some pictures. :wink:
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Maybe you all can answer this question for me....why do you think is the problem with US football/soccer? Is it the style of play or what? The reason why I am asking is because they were interviewing one of the US football players and he said that the MLS is still a young league but, within time, the MLS will be as popular as the EPL. I don't agree. I simply just don't see that happening.

Here's another question for you all......this past year the US NT has played a lot of friendlies but all the games were held here in the US. When the US plays in the Copa America next week it will be the first time the US has played a team outside the US boarders since the WC. My question is...does playing friendlies here in the US hurt the US team's image? I guess what I am saying is the fact that the US team seem to only want to play here and not really go outside the US doesn't help them in achieving some respect. I had asked some followers of the US NT about this and they said that they didn't know why the US didn't play a lot of games outside the boarders. One person said that even though they play here, the US team still feels like a visitor because the opponent has more fans. Plus, someone mentioned that the facilities are better here and that's a reason.

So, what do you think?
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fanOfBayern » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm

tracylynn wrote:Maybe you all can answer this question for me....why do you think is the problem with US football/soccer? Is it the style of play or what? The reason why I am asking is because they were interviewing one of the US football players and he said that the MLS is still a young league but, within time, the MLS will be as popular as the EPL. I don't agree. I simply just don't see that happening.

Here's another question for you all......this past year the US NT has played a lot of friendlies but all the games were held here in the US. When the US plays in the Copa America next week it will be the first time the US has played a team outside the US boarders since the WC. My question is...does playing friendlies here in the US hurt the US team's image? I guess what I am saying is the fact that the US team seem to only want to play here and not really go outside the US doesn't help them in achieving some respect. I had asked some followers of the US NT about this and they said that they didn't know why the US didn't play a lot of games outside the boarders. One person said that even though they play here, the US team still feels like a visitor because the opponent has more fans. Plus, someone mentioned that the facilities are better here and that's a reason.

So, what do you think?

Style of play has nothing to do with it..I guess it's because it's not even popular among the Americans themselves. If Americans don't support their league then why the hell will others do..What I find funny is that people here think that soccer is for females..:P...
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Postby Duncan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 pm

tracylynn wrote:Maybe you all can answer this question for me....why do you think is the problem with US football/soccer? Is it the style of play or what? The reason why I am asking is because they were interviewing one of the US football players and he said that the MLS is still a young league but, within time, the MLS will be as popular as the EPL. I don't agree. I simply just don't see that happening.

this guy is just dreaming, the EPL is lightyears ahead of the MLS. Heck, the EPL is even massively dissociating from the other leagues in Europe except Spain. The best league in the new world is still in Argentina

So, what do you think?

When you want to become better you have to compete with the best. In football the best play in Europe or in South America (and most of their elite players play already in Europe) therefore you either have to play these teams abroad or at home. The latter won't happen often since no top class player plays in the MLS and therefore the travel exertions are always huge. Any competetive country in football simply has to avoid this kind of exertions during most of their season.
Duncan
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:21 pm

First the MLS needs to be more competitive, at least every state needs to have a team. In the state where I live there is no team :roll: not even a freagin stadium. If there are more teams, more people would have the chance to watch games, and they should also create a first division and a second division, just like every other country.
And more girls play soccer here than boys, so no wonder most Americans think it's a girly sport.
oh and something else, they need to built some small soccer stadium with goals so the kids can play instead of American football and Baseball stadums. I see a soccer stadium here once every fifty miles.
FC Bajern

Postby Mirage » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:21 pm

States are huge. There should be at least two teams per state, then you'll have like 100 teams no? There should be divisions rather than conferences. To me, conference sounds very poor because in England it's used to refer to the very bottom divisions, and is then split into north and south.
Otherwise, I don't know enough about the MLS to make any big judgements. I do wish Beckham wasn't going there though.

Americans definitely, in general, need to respect the sport more too. I get the idea any Americans who do like football prefer to support teams outside of America anyway, and ignore the MLS?
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby podolski4life » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:08 am

Mirage wrote:States are huge. There should be at least two teams per state, then you'll have like 100 teams no? There should be divisions rather than conferences. To me, conference sounds very poor because in England it's used to refer to the very bottom divisions, and is then split into north and south.
Otherwise, I don't know enough about the MLS to make any big judgements. I do wish Beckham wasn't going there though.

Americans definitely, in general, need to respect the sport more too. I get the idea any Americans who do like football prefer to support teams outside of America anyway, and ignore the MLS?

Yep. Most Americans who like football support teams in the EPL. A few of my friends are going to see Chelsea play Copa America when they come to CA next month.
In the states, pro sports don't have different levels like in England except for baseball. Conferences and divisions are generally based on geography and regions. So conferences divide teams into East and West, divisions further divided teams according to region ie: Pacific, Northwest, Central, etc. The 100-team idea sounds cool, but realistically it doesn't work if each team was a "major-league" team. The most major-league teams any sport over here has is American football, which has 32.
The MLS should add expansion teams in football-friendly and/or areas with big markets. They added Toronto FC this year, so add 3 more teams for now: one in the Bay Area (which used to have a team), one somewhere in Florida (Miami? Orlando?), and one in Boston.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Tifon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:54 am

tracylynn wrote:

So, what do you think?

I felt the same way with Mexico NT, why does it always play friendlies in US. Well i know the reason, a full packed stadium in San Diego or LA is better than a friendly in Azteca Stadium with less than half filled. :(

FC Bayern, Deutscher Meister,
ja, so heißt er mein Verein,
ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein!
Tifon
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. :D Here are a few things I would like to say...

I live in a state that does have a MLS team and it's one of the worst, well it was last season, teams. The team doesn't have its own stadium, it plays in a stadium that belongs to the local university, I believe.

As for the sport being for girls, well that's probably true. Though a lot of boys play it when they're young, once they hit a certain age then they start playing football (American), basketball, or baseball. Of course, most boys play these sports in the hope they can make it big and be rich and famous. No football player here makes a lot of money. Beckham will be the first to make money that is comparable to the NFL players and such.

I understand why some major countries might not want to play here but I don't see why the US can not travel to those countries. I'm not saying that they should travel all the time or that they other countries have to come here. Its just that there should be some balance between the two. Sometimes I wonder if the US is afraid of playing a friendly in places and against teams that they know will give them a fight.

As for supporting teams outside the US, well, I think that's more due to the fact that there are a very limited number of teams and the teams that exist are not shown on major TV. I think it's hard to support teams here when you don't really have access to them. I also think most fans become fans of the leagues outside the US because for a long time this country didn't have anything and for the ones who love the sport and wanted to watch it, well, they had to pick a team outside the US because that's where the sport was mostly played at the time.

Here's an interesting tidbit....a lot of folks were bragging how Italy won the WC but they couldn't beat the US. All Italy could do was tie with the US. I tried to these folks that that's tie was misleading. Yeah, the game ended in a tie but the US didn't score a goal against Italy. Italy scored on themselves. It would be different if the US had physically scored on Italy but they didn't. Italy scored on themselves.

Interesting discussion and, again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

BTW...Posh's miniseries on her and Becks move to the US has been reduced to a one hour program. LOL!! I guess NBC realized that nobody really care since a recent survey showed that the majority didn't even know who Beckham was.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby tracylynn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Break out the ear plugs....the Spice Girls are reuniting for a small tour later this year. :shock:
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Mirage » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Yaay :P well I liked them when I was little. I can't remember my fave, I think it was ginger spice lol. i collected loads of spice stuff.
Can't see Victoria Beckham singing... it just doesn't suit her image anymore lol!
I think they're meant to be performing at Concert for Diana but I'm not sure.
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Paddy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:32 pm

The rules and formation of the MLS is very stupid. And why would star players (in their prime) want to go out of Europe? Europe has history, big clubs, more interest in the game and it has such an established cup like CL.

Its not gonna happen..you have NBA, NFL and NHL. and a president that saw a football (the ball) for the first time in 2006. :lol:
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby FC Bajern » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:02 am

what happened to my post before? :roll:
FC Bajern

Postby podolski4life » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 am

On the topic with Becks... It looks like he's going to give a lecture at the University of Southern California about how football can change the world. I don't know how much this will impact the US, seeing as tracylynn said that 80% of southern California don't even know who Becks is. Word of advice to Becks: make sure you explain what "football" is, as opposed to "soccer."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 977465.ece
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Joke

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:21 pm

An 84-year-old went to his doctor for his quarterly check-up. The doctor asked him how he was feeling and the 84-year-old said, "Things are great and I've never felt better. I now have a 20 year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. So what do you think about that?" The doctor considered his question for a minute and then began. "I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid hunter and never misses a season. One day when he was setting off hunting, he was in a bit of a hurry and accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun. As he neared a lake he came across a very large male beaver sitting at the water's edge. He realized he'd left his gun at home and so couldn't shoot the magnificent creature but out of habit he raised his cane, aimed it at the animal as if it were his favorite hunting rifle and went 'bang, bang'. Miraculously, two shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. Now, what do you think of that?" asked the doctor. The 84-year-old said, "If you ask me, I'd say somebody else pumped a couple of rounds into that beaver." The doctor replied, "My point exactly".

I so copy and paste that...
FC Bajern

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge