You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Football vs. Soccer

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Do you call the beautifull game Soccer or Football?

Football
73%
Soccer
27%

Total votes : 11

Football vs. Soccer

Postby MunchenFC » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:36 am

I always wondered why people in the U.S. called it soccer. It's rightful name is football, afterall you dou use your feet. So, what are your opinions? Soccer or Football? Why call it soccer, and if someone could tell me what the heck soccer actually means!
“My heart is red through and through. Personally, it’ll be much better winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich than with Real Madrid. When I arrive at the Säbener Strasse, it’s like coming home" - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 pm

In the US, football refers to what Europeans call American football. So as to not mix the two sports up, football in the US is referred to by the name soccer.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MunchenFC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:25 am

yah okay wat does soccer mean??
“My heart is red through and through. Personally, it’ll be much better winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich than with Real Madrid. When I arrive at the Säbener Strasse, it’s like coming home" - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:34 am

MunchenFC wrote:yah okay wat does soccer mean??

Soccer means football. Simple as that. Not every country uses the same terminology to describe something and this is a perfect example. There are words that the British use for certain items that Americans have a different word for. There's no difference in meaning, just a difference in terminology.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fanOfBayern » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:13 am

DBastias wrote:Everyone calls it futbol except america.

Not exactly...I think it goes by the name, soccer, in Australia and NZ too.

Following page has a list of countries where the game is called 'Soccer'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Postby MunchenFC » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:03 am

soccer is a retarded name
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Postby tracylynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:30 am

MunchenFC wrote:soccer is a retarded name

No one said that you had to like the name. Personally, I only call it soccer when I am talking to folks who are not that familiar with the sport. But, when I do say soccer it does not bother me one bit. It does not bother me when someone else calls it soccer. That is what they are familiar with so be it.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Ebrach » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:26 am

We should use the word football! It is football!
Do Americans call is soccer, because they use their socks to play the game? :D
Ebrach
Getting the hang of it

Postby MunchenFC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:56 am

Ebrach wrote:We should use the word football! It is football!
Do Americans call is soccer, because they use their socks to play the game? :D

:D :lol:
yah agreed completely!
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:14 am

Did anyone watch Australian football? It's way better than American football and rugby.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby diegis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:50 pm

mackoy wrote:Did anyone watch Australian football? It's way better than American football and rugby.

yeah me and its more entertaining than rugby and american football :lol: i also had the pc game AFL99 it was pretty cool 8)
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Ebrach » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:42 pm

bogdan wrote:
mackoy wrote:Did anyone watch Australian football? It's way better than American football and rugby.

yeah me and its more entertaining than rugby and american football :lol: i also had the pc game AFL99 it was pretty cool 8)

NO! Bulgarian and Romanian football is the best, unique really :D:D
Ebrach
Getting the hang of it

Postby MunchenFC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 pm

i watch
go melbourne victory!
my dads from there! :D
:lol: jk jk
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Postby Lee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 am

FOOTBALL!
Na komm Deutschland!
Lee
Hey, I'm new here!

Return to The Lounge