You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FIFA, UEFA contemplating a summer season

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

FIFA, UEFA contemplating a summer season

Postby MUTU » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:51 am

A scheduling change away from winter football could be coming to Europe, according to Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Rummenigge, who is also chairman of the 207-member European Club Association that lobbies for the rights of European clubs, told France Football magazine that it makes no sense that European clubs play in mid-winter.

"Everywhere, be it Germany, France or England, summer is the best period of the year. And that is the season we don't play," Rummenigge said in Tuesday's edition. "In deepest winter, when it is very cold and snowing, we play nearly all the time in conditions that are disagreeable for both players and spectators. It is not logical."

Rummenigge told France Football that FIFA and UEFA are "seriously thinking" about an overhaul of the football calendar so European leagues would open in January and wrap up at the end of autumn.

"My sense is that we are heading straight in this direction," the former West Germany international was quoted as saying of possible January-autumn European leagues.

Asked whether football's traditional summer break could be abandoned, Rummenigge replied: "It's completely possible, even if this idea does not thrill our friends in South America."

ECA vice chairman Umberto Gandini was not aware of the plan.

"That was a really nice surprise ... he is not reflecting the position of the ECA," Gandini told The Associated Press.

A sweeping overhaul of league and international schedules for the world's most popular sport would likely be far more complex than Rummenigge's comments suggested, perhaps impossible.

The suggestion that club football could monopolize the calendar and that FIFA's principal source of income, the World Cup, and UEFA's European Championship could be tacked on at the end of the year, when club football is finished, won't likely thrill officials at either of those governing bodies.

There are also major financial, broadcasting, geographical, sporting and cultural obstacles to any drastic overhaul - not least the issue of whether Europeans would attend and watch football in summer months when many of them traditionally sun themselves on beaches.

Responding to emailed questions from the AP, FIFA said today that the international schedule for 2018-2022 "will have to be completed by 2016 at the latest."

FIFA's Strategic Committee will discuss scheduling at its next meeting on February 15. Rummenigge sits on that committee.

"FIFA is not in a position to provide further information until after this meeting," it said.

UEFA did not immediately respond to questions.

Rummenigge told France Football that one "advantage" of modifying the calendar would be that club and international football could be separated entirely so players aren't called up by their countries when their clubs are still playing.

"In future, there could be two phases: one for club competitions, the other for qualifying matches or finals of the World Cup or the Euros," he was quoted as saying. "For one month, national teams would be completely free to call up their players."

FIFA's plans for the 2022 World Cup to be held in host Qatar's scorching summer months are also feeding debate about football's international calendar. Some in football, including UEFA President Michel Platini, have appealed for the flagship tournament to be moved to the Gulf state's somewhat cooler winter months. But that could punch a hole in the European club season as it now stands.

The English Premier League said a winter World Cup in 2022 "is unworkable and unacceptable to domestic European football."

Rummenigge suggested that any change in scheduling for Qatar could be used to make permanent changes to football's calendar.

"It is clear that there will soon be negotiations to examine what can be done. My point of view is that an eventual change to the calendar shouldn't be viewed critically but more as an innovation that could improve the general context," Rummenigge was quoted as saying. "Changing the calendar carries risks but it is also an opportunity. The issue of the calendar will become more important the closer 2022 gets."

- AP
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: FIFA, UEFA contemplating a summer season

Postby MoFattal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 am

So, screw the internationals and confine them to only one month per year? I LOVE IT!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby quaazi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm

This is definitely something Rummenigge would love (better weather for the technically superior Bayern team = better results, fewer and fewer international tournaments for the Bayern team full of internationals = less injuries), and definitely something Blatter would hate (reduced importance of FIFA, obviously).

This is a fascinating idea with pros and cons, doomed to be forgotten due to it's own massive scope however.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Firefox1234 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

That would be better weather for places like England where games are usually cancelled for bad weather and students like me would love to be able to watch football games during summer breaks :D
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm

It's an interesting idea to say the least. Not sure how I feel about it.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lancashire » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I would be totally against it myself, Football wouldnt be Football without the howling wind and rain and having a cup of Bovril and a Pie at halftime. Theres already enough opposition to a Winter break in England that i think any sort of measure to force leagues to play in Summer would be challenged.

In England it also rains in Summer and a Sunderland game was called off in August due to a waterlogged pitch.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Lancashire
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby StrikingMidfield » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 am

NO! Anyone who fully supports this, has never played Football during the rain in a chilly night, their the kinds of nights that almost all Footballers(me included) absolutely love. Now for the fans, I've always liked seeing a little pile of the snow by the side of the pitch, or a light snow fall during a game. Even just some rain adds to the game. Now there's something to be said for playing during the "perfect" conditions during summer, but it's always nice to have some games with wind whistling by, snow or rain coming down, those are the "perfect" conditions for very entertaining Football. It makes the game seem a little less serious, even if just for 90 minutes, when people are slipping around and the ball has a trail of water flying up behind it :D Now, I wouldn't always want games like that, but every once in a while it's a nice thing.
Keep the schedule how it is [-o<
StrikingMidfield
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 am

Don't forget also that Summer is not ideal for the Mediterranean countries. Can you imagine playing in 35°C+ temperatures in the afternoon unless all games are played in the evening ?
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BayernLove » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm

If FIFA and UEFA do this, I will contemplate something much more grand than a summer season. :evil:
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Jordan

Return to The Lounge