You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Do you believe in God?

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Do you believe in God(s)?

Yes, I believe in the God of Abraham.
35%
Yes, I believe in a God or Gods other than the God of Abraham.
6%
Yes, but I am not a practising believer.
6%
I believe there is an unknown force or existence which is not a God (e.g. alternate realities).
6%
I don't know.
No votes
No, but I believe there is an afterlife.
No votes
No, but I believe in reincarnation.
No votes
No, I am an atheist.
29%
No, I am an agnostic.
18%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 17

Re: Do you believe in God?

Postby #12 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 pm

"Understand"ing is a way of interpretation though my dear friend
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm

#12 wrote:"Understand"ing is a way of interpretation though my dear friend

Understanding is actually studying it. There's people called scholars, you as a history guy should know something about them and respect their work.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Why is there a poll option called "No, but I believe there is an afterlife."? Call me ignorant but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a scenario where someone could believe there is an afterlife but no Deity. I don't know, maybe someone who believes in the simulation theory?
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm

MUTU wrote:That's a discovery, it's different. I'm talking about a number of books that were scrutinized by several millions (or billions) of people over the course of millennia and nobody managed to bring a killer argument that can't be disputed easily by people who understand the Bible (not saying I do). And if nobody managed to do that up to now, it would take quite some arrogance from Dalv if he believes he can be "the one".

The Bible is considerably bigger than all of us together, let's show it some respect. Seeing these quarter-assed attempts to ridicule it seems like seeing a 5 year old fat, crippled boy claiming Messi wouldn't be able to dribble around him.

i'm not an expert either, but I understand the Bible and other holy books are just vague enough to never be proven "wrong". for example, one could say the bible is wrong about evolution (god created the world in 6 days). however, a christian could then argue that the bible is not literal in this scenario, it's meant only to be figurative (that is, meant to be interpreted). how can you prove or disprove something like that?

also, the vagueness of the bible is the reason there are so many denominations of christianity...
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm

I agree with MUTU on respect towards the Bible, as well as the Quran and every other sacred text which people still believe in today. Although we might disagree on what to believe in (or not), we have to respect each other's views.

@MUTU: I'm curious what you would consider a "killer argument" though. I must admit I've never read the entire Bible cover to cover but many of its contents do follow what we do know to be typical models of literary and cultural transfer. To me this makes it hard to believe that Christian belief is somehow more "correct" or "true" than other mythologies.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 pm

MUTU wrote:Why is there a poll option called "No, but I believe there is an afterlife."? Call me ignorant but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a scenario where someone could believe there is an afterlife but no Deity. I don't know, maybe someone who believes in the simulation theory?

Although I didn't vote for it, I have sometimes considered the possibility of a state of consciousness beyond death which isn't quite something like heaven. Alternatively, you could believe in things like ghosts.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

nm462272 wrote:
MUTU wrote:That's a discovery, it's different. I'm talking about a number of books that were scrutinized by several millions (or billions) of people over the course of millennia and nobody managed to bring a killer argument that can't be disputed easily by people who understand the Bible (not saying I do). And if nobody managed to do that up to now, it would take quite some arrogance from Dalv if he believes he can be "the one".

The Bible is considerably bigger than all of us together, let's show it some respect. Seeing these quarter-assed attempts to ridicule it seems like seeing a 5 year old fat, crippled boy claiming Messi wouldn't be able to dribble around him.

i'm not an expert either, but I understand the Bible and other holy books are just vague enough to never be proven "wrong". for example, one could say the bible is wrong about evolution (god created the world in 6 days). however, a christian could then argue that the bible is not literal in this scenario, it's meant only to be figurative (that is, meant to be interpreted). how can you prove or disprove something like that?

also, the vagueness of the bible is the reason there are so many denominations of christianity...

The example of evolution is very obviously symbolism since nobody at the time could read, write or talk, therefore the Book of Genesis is fiction and not to be taken literally, but instead the message it portrays needs to be understood. It's true other areas are vague, but one needs to be hard stretched to take the Book of Genesis, of all examples you could have brought, as a scientific document.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I agree with MUTU on respect towards the Bible, as well as the Quran and every other sacred text which people still believe in today. Although we might disagree on what to believe in (or not), we have to respect each other's views.

@MUTU: I'm curious what you would consider a "killer argument" though. I must admit I've never read the entire Bible cover to cover but many of its contents do follow what we do know to be typical models of literary and cultural transfer. To me this makes it hard to believe that Christian belief is somehow more "correct" or "true" than other mythologies.

For me a killer argument would be that someone makes an argument to which nobody has an answer to, leaving everyone dumbfounded and leaving millions of Christians dropping their faith overnight.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 pm

MUTU wrote:
nm462272 wrote:

The example of evolution is very obviously symbolism since nobody at the time could read, write or talk, therefore the Book of Genesis is fiction and not to be taken literally, but instead the message it portrays needs to be understood. It's true other areas are vague, but one needs to be hard stretched to take the Book of Genesis, of all examples you could have brought, as a scientific document.

But I think this is the whole point why no one will ever be able to truly "disprove" a book like the bible. there are people out there who genuinely believe Genesis is true and real - 100%. then there are those like yourself who see it is fiction or an interpretation of events. when you cant agree on the meaning of something, it's impossible to disprove.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:56 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:"Understand"ing is a way of interpretation though my dear friend

Understanding is actually studying it. There's people called scholars, you as a history guy should know something about them and respect their work.

Hey, I'm not a "history guy", I'm a historian, a history teacher, as a matter of fact...

And if you mean study, why don't you write "study"?

The Bible is a book not intended to be falsified... Faith is something you WANT to do/have - so there never will be "evidence" the way you "demand" it

MUTU wrote:Why is there a poll option called "No, but I believe there is an afterlife."? Call me ignorant but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a scenario where someone could believe there is an afterlife but no Deity. I don't know, maybe someone who believes in the simulation theory?

Conscience might work without a deity...

MUTU wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I agree with MUTU on respect towards the Bible, as well as the Quran and every other sacred text which people still believe in today. Although we might disagree on what to believe in (or not), we have to respect each other's views.

For me a killer argument would be that someone makes an argument to which nobody has an answer to, leaving everyone dumbfounded and leaving millions of Christians dropping their faith overnight.

As I stated above, you can always find a way to weazle through - and no one would EVER drop their faith over night...

I DO respect scientific wirk, but we have people in Supreme Courts "understanding" constitutions in a different way than 10 years ago - and we're talking about one of the oldest books in the world here...

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm

nm462272 wrote:there are people out there who genuinely believe Genesis is true and real - 100%

Well, there are people out there who genuinely believe the Loch Ness monster exists. Of course there's going to be idiots, but it's never the mainstream view.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm

MUTU wrote:
nm462272 wrote:there are people out there who genuinely believe Genesis is true and real - 100%

Well, there are people out there who genuinely believe the Loch Ness monster exists. Of course there's going to be idiots, but it's never the mainstream view.

i'm not disagreeing with you, but when it comes to "faith" - that is, something you believe in but cannot see or even find hard evidence for - logically speaking, there is no difference between a god and a loch ness monster.

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby icewizard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm

And that's why when you have religious discussions (and not debates!) between scholars of different and of the same religions, you see it happen always with huge respect, if the goal of the discussion is to find the truth. No attacks just questioning and trying to understand, or refute.
Last edited by icewizard on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icewizard
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby icewizard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm

#12 wrote:Conscience might work without a deity...

Actually, it might, but it's actually forcing it against its own nature.

I believe humanity has an innate belief of a superior being, usually called God. Put anyone in a desperate situation and you'll see him call out for God as there is no one else left to turn to, and that God is the only remaining hope.

Of course, this is not a proof of the existence of God, as such must be logically derived.
icewizard
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby #12 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Not saying I was of that belief, just cause MUTU couldn't imagine...

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge