You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

American members

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: American members

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:13 pm

I also wonder why people build houses of wood in tornado hit areas instead of concrete? Is it because it's more expensive? But I think it would be worth it instead of rebuilding the house and losing all your possessions. Or do you think a F5 tornado would destroy a house made of concrete?

Sent from Neo N003
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:39 pm

In the areas of the country where tornadoes are most common, the people living there are relatively poor (rural areas in the middle of the country). It's so cheap to build a small wooden house there (I would think you could buy a pretty big, new house on a good piece of land for under $200,000 USD). People also prefer the look of a wooden house to a concrete house - that's been the traditional building material in the US. There are a lot of benefits to building in concrete, but I don't think people in Tornado Alley can afford it or are willing to buy them.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby German-American » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:57 pm

MaCk0y wrote:I also wonder why people build houses of wood in tornado hit areas instead of concrete? Is it because it's more expensive? But I think it would be worth it instead of rebuilding the house and losing all your possessions. Or do you think a F5 tornado would destroy a house made of concrete?

Sent from Neo N003

Yea I guess it's for the immediate costs, unfortunately those areas are very poor in the country

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:54 pm

It's true that concrete buildings would look ugly in the countryside. Can't they move to other rural areas where tornadoes don't occur? Or is it expensive ? I still think it's not worth the risk of losing your life or literally everything if a tornado hits you.

Sent from Neo N003
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:01 pm

I agree with you, but the area where tornadoes are likely to hit spreads over a pretty large area - several states. Maybe they want to stay close to family or the town they grew up in. I can't imagine there are too many jobs out there, other than farming... not sure!
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby sherpthederp » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Just east of Oakland, CA here. I'm a member of Mia San Francisco
the local Bayern fan club.

We watch league matches at a pub called Danny Coyles in
San Francisco if anyone is ever in the area and needs a place to
watch a match and drink a beer!
sherpthederp
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 pm

nm462272 wrote:I agree with you, but the area where tornadoes are likely to hit spreads over a pretty large area - several states. Maybe they want to stay close to family or the town they grew up in. I can't imagine there are too many jobs out there, other than farming... not sure!

Also it's like tornadoes are exclusive to the USA. You rarely see any other country on the news where Tornadoes are causing destruction. You even have a Tornado season. :lol: This is the closest I got to experience a 'Tornado' in real life. I was so excited. :oops: :lol:

MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby pyrasur » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 pm

It's mostly farmers, and farmers need services like banks, lawyers, etc too. Also plenty of military bases in that area, mostly Army/Air Force because of the availability of space to conduct training etc. Maybe oil industry too...? Anyway by now most of them I think know how to deal with it. I lived in the Eastern seaboard/Gulf area regularly hit by hurricanes and before that it was earthquakes in California. Locals knew how to deal with those too just pick your poison mostly.

Hopefully no tornadoes ever in Mississippi I have to research this now :shock:
2nd edit: #-o damn it...
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby nm462272 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:16 am

I lived in NYC for a while, and we even had a hurricane there! Now that was scary...

nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby nonstoprammstein » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:53 am

Living here in Houston, Texas where we have floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts. No earthquakes yet.
I am a part of the FC Bayern Munich Fan Club of Texas and watch matches at Galway Hooker Irish Pub.
nonstoprammstein
Getting the hang of it

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pyrasur » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:12 am

nonstoprammstein wrote:Living here in Houston, Texas where we have floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts. No earthquakes yet.
I am a part of the FC Bayern Munich Fan Club of Texas and watch matches at Galway Hooker Irish Pub.

Saw pics of the flooding in Corpus. Insane amount of rainfall
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Steph » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:14 am

You guys are making some sweeping generalizations about the mid-west. I live in West St. Louis County, and my parents aren't farmers, my dad owns his own Massage Clinic (he doesn't actually massage people, he just owns it) and my mom does something that I won't try to explain for Citi Bank. Despite people's views of the mid-west and specifically St. Louis because of all of the rioting and stuff, West St. Louis County is actually a very, very nice area. The way it's set up the St. Louis County is made up of a bunch of smaller municipalities and is separate from the city, it is a completely different place. Forests and hills and plenty of space where I live, not at all like the city.

But some people hear the words St. Louis and think that it's the most dangerous place in the world.
Steph
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:51 am

MaCk0y wrote:
nm462272 wrote:I agree with you, but the area where tornadoes are likely to hit spreads over a pretty large area - several states. Maybe they want to stay close to family or the town they grew up in. I can't imagine there are too many jobs out there, other than farming... not sure!

Also it's like tornadoes are exclusive to the USA. You rarely see any other country on the news where Tornadoes are causing destruction. You even have a Tornado season. :lol: This is the closest I got to experience a 'Tornado' in real life. I was so excited. :oops: :lol:

There was a tornado in the region of Veneto in Italy ...

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby German-American » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:46 pm

A lot of areas get unfairly represented, it's just part of life I guess ahah

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pyrasur » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Steph wrote:You guys are making some sweeping generalizations about the mid-west. I live in West St. Louis County, and my parents aren't farmers, my dad owns his own Massage Clinic (he doesn't actually massage people, he just owns it) and my mom does something that I won't try to explain for Citi Bank. Despite people's views of the mid-west and specifically St. Louis because of all of the rioting and stuff, West St. Louis County is actually a very, very nice area. The way it's set up the St. Louis County is made up of a bunch of smaller municipalities and is separate from the city, it is a completely different place. Forests and hills and plenty of space where I live, not at all like the city.

But some people hear the words St. Louis and think that it's the most dangerous place in the world.

Haha my bad. I take back my it's mostly farmers statement especially when farmers are like 2% of the population nationwide and that number is only going to keep going down. Still, it's a lot of farmland ;) And I would hazard a guess that St. Louis has built up most of its services to support the transportation and commerce services that exist to service the farmers.
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge