You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

a taste from the Past

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: a taste from the Past

Postby JANKER » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Bayernbazi wrote:
JANKER wrote:
The Beast of Gevaudan Terrorizes France [source]

Had always found this story intriguing since the day I first read about it. There was also a movie made in 2001 about it and at the end there was a mundane explanation to the beast.
Spoiler: show

I watched that movie but I found out only after 2-3 years that it was based on true events... it has always intrigued me as well.
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Bayernbazi wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I've found this video by coincidence...
It shows Malta in 1963/64 when many emigrated to Australia

feel free to share anything you like

Wow, nice vintage video of my hometown well before I was born. I had never seen it before. Very clear video, and I've shared on a facebook page about memories from the town and its surroundings maybe someone recognizes somebody or was a kid in that video.
Thanks

P.S. Hibernians were already winning premiership trophies back then who knows where Birkirkara FC were then ? :-P

actually you had won one Championship before(1961) and an FA Trophy before this video :twisted:
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Bayernbazi wrote:
JANKER wrote:

Had always found this story intriguing since the day I first read about it. There was also a movie made in 2001 about it and at the end there was a mundane explanation to the beast.

so what kind of animal was that? Did they ever manage to solve the case?
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:36 pm

As anyone from Malta knows, near the main entrance in Valletta there once stood the splendid Royal Opera House. It was first built in 1866, destroyed by fire in 1873, reconstructed and completed in 1877.

On 7 April 1942, unfortunately it was destroyed by Luftwaffe bombs during a night air raid and was reduced to this state.

after knocking down all the remaining standing structure to remove the danger, this sore sight was left like that for nearly 70 years, until some idiot had the streak of genius and decided to turn it into an open air theater and made this hideous thing.

Luckily for me I personally still own something from the time when that building was truly the Royal Opera House which hosted lyric singers, conductors and performers from Italy. Sometime after my grandad's death in the 80's, I was helping in clearing items from the basement of the men's suits tailor shop he had and found this box with the programme books for 'Royal Opera House - Opera Season 1938-1939', I still cannot forgive myself for keeping just one of those booklets. It has some 60 pages but here are a couple of pages to give you a taste from bygone era (there are some adverts as well)
I don't know if that season ever finished due to Italian talent involved, although Italy only joined the Axis in 1940.

Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:47 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
Bayernbazi wrote:
JANKER wrote:

so what kind of animal was that? Did they ever manage to solve the case?

I didn't mention it to avoid spoiling the film - it's been a long time since I watched it but if I remember correctly, here it is if you wish;
there was some secret sect which wanted to keep control over the villagers (I con't remember if it was religion related or otherwise) but they disguised a lion with spikes on its back and a kind of mask
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:49 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
Bayernbazi wrote:

Wow, nice vintage video of my hometown well before I was born. I had never seen it before. Very clear video, and I've shared on a facebook page about memories from the town and its surroundings maybe someone recognizes somebody or was a kid in that video.
Thanks

P.S. Hibernians were already winning premiership trophies back then who knows where Birkirkara FC were then ? :-P

actually you had won one Championship before(1961) and an FA Trophy before this video :twisted:

I meant the 60's - 1966–67, 1968–69 :-"
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Bayernbazi wrote:Luckily for me I personally still own something from the time when that building was truly the Royal Opera House which hosted lyric singers, conductors and performers from Italy. Sometime after my grandad's death in the 80's, I was helping in clearing items from the basement of the men's suits tailor shop he had and found this box with the programme books for 'Royal Opera House - Opera Season 1938-1939', I still cannot forgive myself for keeping just one of those booklets. It has some 60 pages but here are a couple of pages to give you a taste from bygone era (there are some adverts as well)

Brilliant stuff. :)
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 am

incredible ... wow... =D>

those ads... amazing... the opel... and what about the four digit tel nrs ?

You know what ? the Germans wanted to reconstruct the opera house as part of the reparation prog but the General Workers Union opposed the help cause they were not happy that no Maltese workers were going to be employed. This was the early 1950s
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 am

They look like from another world, everything hand painted, no touch from the digital era. Although nearly 200 years of British rule, the Italian influence in culture is very visible - one can understand the dilemma of the many locals who were of heavy Italian influence when Italy declared war on the Allies.
Once I have a moment, I'll try to upload some other adverts - there is one for Radio Marelli radios the size of a chest, Pirelli tyres and there are some local companies which are still around such as Thomas C Smith & C.Camilleri & Sons Ltd (the confectioners).

Too bad we had many cowboys deciding the fate of the country since after WWII, including the Brits who were still running the show. Although we were the most bombarded place during the war we missed direct Marshall Aid money as a result of being part of the Empire and therefore the US gave the money to Britain but we received a trickle.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Bayernbazi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:19 am

ramsej84 wrote:
Bayernbazi wrote:

Thanks

That video has been a hit on that FB page - there were many old people who were nostalgic and recognized some people in it or were there themselves. There are some whom I even know myself but didn't recognize. Also the street in that film where that priest used to live, seems to be around the corner from where I used to live when young.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 am

Bayernbazi wrote:They look like from another world, everything hand painted, no touch from the digital era. Although nearly 200 years of British rule, the Italian influence in culture is very visible - one can understand the dilemma of the many locals who were of heavy Italian influence when Italy declared war on the Allies.
Once I have a moment, I'll try to upload some other adverts - there is one for Radio Marelli radios the size of a chest, Pirelli tyres and there are some local companies which are still around such as Thomas C Smith & C.Camilleri & Sons Ltd (the confectioners).

Too bad we had many cowboys deciding the fate of the country since after WWII, including the Brits who were still running the show. Although we were the most bombarded place during the war we missed direct Marshall Aid money as a result of being part of the Empire and therefore the US gave the money to Britain but we received a trickle.

yesterday there was a very interesting prog on tvm2 about two Italian anti fascist. Umberto Calosso and a certain Donati. The feature prog mentioned the Maltese who sympathized with Italy (and I don't blame them the Brits eradicated our Latin heritage) Even if you look at our diet... pastries, tea, butter, ... Ours should be a Med diet... They also mentioned the language influence etc, I will try to upload it just for these Maltese who are interested in our history.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 am

Giseppe Donati and Umberto Calosso two anti-fascist in Malta [source]
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Really interesting period. So we had the Italian anti-fascists taking refuge in Malta and the pro fascists/italy Maltese moving away from Malta, some due to imposed exile in Africa while others escaping to Italy. Some of whom ended victims of this whole dilemma most notably the case of the 28 year old Carmelo Borg Pisani, sentenced to death for treason and still buried in Malta's prison after he allegedly returned to Malta in secret with the help of the Italians with the intention of spying. In the meantime he is still considered a patriot in Italy where there used to be streets named after him !

On a different international matter did you ever read about the Lost Cosmonauts whose death was kept hidden by the Soviet Union during the Cold War? The first time I heard about them was when before the days of Internet I was very much interested in non commercial radio reception / amateur radio etc and saw this feature about 2 Italian brothers who rigged all sorts of setups to capture interesting radio signals. They even manually created charts to calculate when a satellite was due overhead to get best transmission. They claimed that during the early days of the space race they captured transmissions from dying cosmonauts from failed space missions which they even recorded. This is a short video about this in English;

I had forgotten about this until recently there was this article about this bizarre story;
The remains of the astronaut Vladimir Komarov, a man who fell from space, 1967
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:55 pm

for me Carmelo Borg Pisani is a hero.
He was killed without a trial.
And he wanted Malta to be closer to italy and not England. And I respect that.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Bayernbazi wrote:Really interesting period. So we had the Italian anti-fascists taking refuge in Malta and the pro fascists/italy Maltese moving away from Malta, some due to imposed exile in Africa while others escaping to Italy. Some of whom ended victims of this whole dilemma most notably the case of the 28 year old Carmelo Borg Pisani, sentenced to death for treason and still buried in Malta's prison after he allegedly returned to Malta in secret with the help of the Italians with the intention of spying. In the meantime he is still considered a patriot in Italy where there used to be streets named after him !

On a different international matter did you ever read about the Lost Cosmonauts whose death was kept hidden by the Soviet Union during the Cold War? The first time I heard about them was when before the days of Internet I was very much interested in non commercial radio reception / amateur radio etc and saw this feature about 2 Italian brothers who rigged all sorts of setups to capture interesting radio signals. They even manually created charts to calculate when a satellite was due overhead to get best transmission. They claimed that during the early days of the space race they captured transmissions from dying cosmonauts from failed space missions which they even recorded. This is a short video about this in English;

I had forgotten about this until recently there was this article about this bizarre story;
The remains of the astronaut Vladimir Komarov, a man who fell from space, 1967

I saw this story on Voyager Rai2.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge