You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2 Bayern Ballon d'Or nominees

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

2 Bayern Ballon d'Or nominees

Postby MrLinky » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 am

Ballon d'Or Nominees Announced

The shortlist for the 2008 Ballon d’Or award has been announced, and there’s a few surprise ommissions as the list is reduced in size.
Most notable perhaps are the absences of AC Milan's Ronaldinho and Barcelona forward Thierry Henry, with the duo both judged on their relatively disappointing season at Camp Nou and internationally.

Ronaldinho endured a torrid season in Barcelona last term, suffering from injury and a loss form, and thus the Brazil international will not have the opportunity to add to the award he won in 2005.

"It's normal, I did not play much in the last season," Ronaldinho told French TV channel TF1.

Similarly, Henry had a difficult first season in Spain following his move from Arsenal, and France were also eliminated from Euro 2008 at the first-round, and so he misses out on the shortlist for the first time since 1999.

They are not the only big-name omissions, with 2006 and 2004 winners Andriy Shevchenko and Fabio Cannavaro both missing, and clearly the lists' reduced size of 30 from 50 players is taking effect.

Unsurprisingly, European Championship winners Spain boast seven players on the list, including Liverpool sensation Fernando Torres and Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas, while Brazil have just one player, Kaka, of their own.

Champions League and Premier League champions Manchester United have three players in the running, with hot favourite Cristiano Ronaldo, England hero Wayne Rooney and defender Nemanja Vidic part of the selected pool.

Meanwhile, fellow Champions League finalists Chelsea have three players of their own among the 30, with Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba joining Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard as the English contingency.

The winner will be selected on 2 December when 96 journalists from around the world cast their vote in a poll organised by France Football magazine.

The full list of nominees is as follows:

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Togo.
Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Argentine.
Andreï Archavine (Zénith Saint-Pétersbourg), Russia.
Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Germany.
Karim Benzema (Lyon), France.
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus Turin), Italy.
Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Spain.
Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Portugal.
Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Ivory Coast.
Samuel Eto'o (FC Barcelone), Cameroon.
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Spain.
Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC), Spain.
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC), England.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan), Sweden.
Kaka (Milan AC), Brazil.
Frank Lampard (Chelsea), England.
Lionel Messi (FC Barcelone), Argentina.
Pepe (Real Madrid), Portugal.
Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich), France.
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), England.
Marcos Senna (Villarreal), Spain.
Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Spain.
Luca Toni (Bayern Munich), Italy.
Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Netherlands.
Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV puis Real Madrid), Netherlands.
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Netherlands.
Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Serbia.
David Villa (Valence CF), Spain.
Xavi (FC Barcelone), Spain.
Youri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscou), Russia.

- I'm not sure how Vidic was selected instead of Rio who's been the best defender last year , and Van der Vaart was just selected cause he moved
to Real , if he'd have stayed in Hamburg he wouldnt be on that list , leaving a player like Diego out. :shock:
I also think Lahm should have been on that list , he was Germany's best player along with Ballack and Poldi at the Euros.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: 2 Bayern Ballon d'Or nominees

Postby reiniksrobis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:27 pm

YĒAH!!! It is great. If Ibra will continue to play like he does right now, then he could win this award. Ribery need to show his best at CL to deserve place on TOP 3.

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Top 3: Ronaldo (no explanation needed), Torres (EURO Winner), Toni (badass goalscoring all last season). Perhaps Franck can sneak in there since he provided Toni with so much, picking up Germany's (and France's?) player of the year award.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am

FCBinNYC wrote:picking up Germany's (and France's?) player of the year award.

He was France's footballer of the year in 2007 , I think the winner this year is still to be determined.
I'd like to finally win it a Bayern player again , its been a long time since Rumenigge won it 2 consecutive times in 1980-1981. :(
I think we have a good chance if we can keep Ribery at the club for some more years. :wink:
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Eritina » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:27 pm

What a shame! Germans are Euro08 runner-up but they have only one player represented! :( Moreover, last season Ballack had injury so he couldn't play for a long time and he is still the best german footballer! :) I wonder how many players would be on the list if Bayern win UEFA Cup?
Eritina
Getting the hang of it

Postby KieranD » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:12 pm

ah ribery the king hes proved hes good enough to win the award but i think ronaldo will win it not because he is the best but becasue he won the CL and Ribery has yet to win it

id also like to see ibrahimovic win the ballon d'or but he wont hes not a CL winner yet

it all depends if youve won the CL or a world cup
KieranD
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:19 pm

When they announced the nominees I thought Ronaldo was a shoe-in. But after his disrespect to Man U, flopping at the EURO, constantly saying that he's the best, and the superior recent form of Messi and Ribery, I'm not so sure anymore. I don't think our Super Franck will win it since he didn't get any international (club or country) trophies this year, but with the Olympic gold in his pocket I think Messi has a real chance. I'd certainly rather see him win it than Ronaldo, he's so much more likeable.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I really dont like Ronaldo either - he recently said in an interview tha he's the best , the 2nd best and the 3rd best footballer in the world , a bit of confidence and cockiness is totally fine but this guy goes too far I think.
But he'll be winning it for sure , no doubt about it , it'd be a huge surprise to me personally if we see somebody else winning it , I just hope Ribery makes it at least into the top 10. :)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Return to The Lounge