You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Arjen Robben

Discussions about the injury situation at the club. Who's out injured for the next match? Who's almost recovered from his long-term injury? Find it all here.

Re: Arjen Robben

Postby Commodore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:29 am

No need to get all aggravated. Just looks to me like it had been forgotten that we are a different club. We simply don't view a player as just another item on our payroll like other clubs do.

Sebastian Deisler cost us million upon million during the time he was with us, and he was out way more than he played, even more so than Robben. I'm proud of Hoeneß and the FC Bayern that we don't let players down. Makes our club even more special.

I don't see how Robben's nationality should have any bearing on the matter. Or the Dutch/German rivalry for that matter (which anyways has died down quite significantly during the past 15-20 years).

If Robben wants to stay, he stays. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.
"There are two things I am afraid of: War and Oliver Kahn."

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 am

Commodore, what about Zickler and Goerlitz? We did let them go and the former still had quality to help us for sure.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Commodore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 am

Well first of all Zickler was bought for more than 2 million Deutsche Mark (approximately 1 million Euros) in 1993, which was an astronomical price at the time for a 19 year old. He was bought from Dynamo Dresden who were in massive financial trouble at the time and we overpaid for Zickler to help them back on their feet.

Second of all, and even though I can't right now find the quote, Zickler went on record that without Hoeneß' support and contract extensions despite countless injuries (accompanied by continuing access to world-class-doc Müller-Wohlfahrt) he would have never become Austria's top goal scorer later in his career, much less "Footballer of the Year 2010" in Austria.

A lot of experts called Zickler's end of his career many times over. Hoeneß extended his contract.

I don't know about Görlitz right now. Maybe I'll do some research later.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Commodore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

This is not the quote I was looking for, but it should suffice. I know he said something similar after being hugely successful in Austria.

http://www.n-tv.de/sport/Ein-Herz-fuer- ... 98145.html

Original quote:
Fußball-Rekordmeister Bayern München hat seinem langzeitverletzten Stürmer Alexander Zickler offenbar ein Angebot zur Vertragsverlängerung gemacht. "Ich bin ablösefrei, ich kann wechseln. Sollte es wegen der Verletzung nicht klappen, hat mir der Verein zugesichert, meinen Vertrag zu verlängern. Dafür bin ich ungemein dankbar", sagte der 29-Jährige, der derzeit wegen eines Schienbeinbruchs außer Gefecht ist, dem Fachmagazin "kicker".

My translation:
Football-Record-Champions Bayern München have made an offer for contract extension to their long-term injured striker Alexander Zickler. "I'm on a free, I can go. Should it not work out due to the injury, the club assured me to extend my contract. For that I am tremendously grateful", said the 29 year-old, who currently is put out of action with a broken shinbone, to Kicker Sportmagazin.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, he remained for a long while here, but he didn't retire here either. He still had skills to offer (which he proved by becoming Austrian player of the year and top scorer) but after a long while the club eventually had enough of his injuries and did not renew his contract. He was let go when he was 31 and played for a further 6 seasons with other clubs. Robben is still 28, and hasn't played for Bayern for 12 seasons, but if you factor in his salary then you see that Bayern are anxious to get their value for money from him.

I am not saying it will happen, but I refuse to believe that it won't either.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Commodore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 am

MUTU wrote:but after a long while the club eventually had enough of his injuries and did not renew his contract.

That's not quite true. Zickler wanted to leave. He knew he would never consistently make the first XI again in München, but he wanted to play.

Zickler wanted to leave in 2003 already as is evidenced by the quote above, but no one wanted him due to his injury.

- So we kept him on our payroll.
    - So we kept him on the Säbener Straße training ground practicing daily with Germany's football elite.
    - So we kept him on our bench and gave him sub-ins.
    - So we kept him in close proximity to doc Müller-Wohlfahrt.

Then in 2005 Salzburg gave him a contract which he accepted. He went to Salzburg and "Pwned" the shit out of the Austrian Bundesliga. None of this would have happened had he been at any other club but Bayern München in the years of his injuries. Fact!

If Robben wants to leave one day, of course we'll let him go. What other choice would we have? He's not our slave. A fully fit Robben, however will make the first XI in München any day of the week and he knows that. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few months time, a lot of people who currently are in the "Sell Robben" camp, will sing praising hymns for Arjen Robben, but to be honest, that's beside the point. Because as I said earlier:

If he wants to stay, he stays.

And that's the extent of what I meant with my "Fan of the Wrong Club" remark. We simply don't do business the way that has been suggested in this thread.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 am

So you mean we offered him a contract (or wanted to do it) and he refused it as he wanted to leave? I was under the impression that he wanted to stay but we refused to extend his contract and so he had to find a new club. Perhaps you are right.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 am

While Commodore has a good point, what about all the departures under van Gaal? Can't imagine Lucio and van Bommel were so eager to leave were it not for van Gaal as a person.

YES I'M STILL BITTER ABOUT SELLING THOSE TWO.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 am

quaazi wrote:While Commodore has a good point, what about all the departures under van Gaal? Can't imagine Lucio and van Bommel were so eager to leave were it not for van Gaal as a person.

YES I'M STILL BITTER ABOUT SELLING THOSE TWO.

Good point. Same thing with Toni even though I am not bitter with his departure.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Commodore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Yes, I too am bitter about van Bommel and (especially) Lúcio.

If I remember correctly van Gaal and van Bommel hated each other, which would make him wanting to leave plausible. I don't know about lúcio, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't van Gaal related either.

Also this was the time just after Hoeneß "retirement". So he was not solely responsible for all of that anymore (at least on paper he wasn't). With Nerlinger's departure and Sammer's signing I simply can't see any change of player policy any time soon. Sammer acknowledges the human being behind the footballer as much as Hoeneß does. Both Sammer and Hoeneß had to end their playing careers prematurely because of injuries and hence they are very empathic towards players like that.

I remember when he coached Dortmund in the UEFA-Cup in 2003/04. They played against Austria Wien and Otto Addo suffered a cruciate ligament rupture. He immediately made "My knee is **** up. Sub me out" hand gestures to Sammer, but he kept on his feet. By some miracle he was free in the opponents' box and he received the ball. He scored the 1:0 and immediately was subbed out and rushed to the hospital.

After the match a journalist asked Sammer how highly he valued the goal and how much Otto Addo's dedication to playing on with his injury meant to him.

His reply (in good old Sammer style) went something like "**** the goal. I rather he didn't score and just stayed on the ground. Knee injuries like that can end your career and right now nothing is more important than that he gets treated immediately and hopefully gets well soon. The goal is not important."

After Hoeneß had retired, I feared that maybe one day the FC Bayern might not be anymore this "Special" club that values the human being behind the player. With Sammer on board (and hopefully long-term) I have no fear regarding this anymore.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MoFattal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 pm

MUTU wrote:Good point. Same thing with Toni even though I am not bitter with his departure.

Hey! Don't say that. I have a Toni shirt.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 am

"But it is difficult to tell when [I will have recovered]. We are trying everything. But it's definitely nothing too bad," the 28-year old concluded.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/ ... eakingnews
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 am

Hey Arjen, "definitely nothing too bad" and "it is difficult to tell when" cannot come in the same sentence :x

This is getting worrisome by the week. I hope it is not like last years supposedly "minor" injury which kept him out for a couple of months.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCB general » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm

I desperately want this to see again after injury. [-o<
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby lau03143 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:57 pm

FCB general wrote:

I desperately want this to see again after injury. [-o<

Great goal.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Injury List