You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-10-15] Sweden vs Germany

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Sweden will win
No votes
It will end in a draw
13%
Germany will win
88%

Total votes : 8

Re: [2013-10-15] Sweden vs Germany

Postby YlonenXabi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Schürrle has had many great performances with the NT in the past. It's just that Löw used his beloved Podolski instead in the big games
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby MoFattal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 am

With Reus and Draxler now on board, Poldi will not be his biggest worry any more.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Badger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:06 am

This game wasn’t shown on any UK TV channel, as far as I know, and I managed only last night to download the full match and watch it. I thought that it was a very enjoyable, entertaining game, with lots of promise for Brazil next summer.

Here are my random observations:
- Sweden were good opponents. They pressed well for a lot of the game, and were very agile throughout. Their ability to develop an opportunistic attack, when a ball spilled favourably for them, was very impressive, and their finishing of the few chances they had was very good. For Germany to have 74% possession against this team at their home ground in Sweden was quite an achievement. Germany gelled well as a team, dug in well to recover from 2-0, and looked very good apart from the three moments where Sweden snatched their goals.
- Hummels wasn’t as bad as I expected from reading the comments on forums. Indeed, Boateng and Lahm looked worse than Hummels for a couple of the goals. However, I think that a key point is that the goals were largely a matter of concentration. The defenders were caught napping by very fast, last-third-of-the-pitch attacks. The defenders were not outplayed – simply caught out. When three goals go in that is little consolation for that game, but it does give hope that a little bit of sharper concentration could make all the difference that is required in future games.
- Boateng’s game was otherwise impressive; he covered well and his long-ball distribution from the back is looking superb in match after match.
- I thought that Jansen was the best defender on the night, by a slight margin. He was hardly at fault for any of the goals, and he combined very well with Schurrle, on the ball and off the ball. I like Schmelzer, but I would say that Jansen’s was possibly the best performance at left back for a long time.
- Schweinsteiger was busy in midfield and didn’t have one of his best games. To some extent, the distribution of Kroos and Oezil compensated for Schweinsteiger’s labours, and that’s probably how it needs to be anyway.
- I like Mueller, but I feel that his inconsistency at club and country level is still a problem that can’t be ignored altogether. I’ve also begun to think that he has little control over this, and can’t influence when he’ll have a great game and when he’ll be anonymous and ineffective. I’m really not sure what the answer is. He’ll be at Brazil, but will he deliver when required? Loew’s answer was to substitute Mueller for Goetze, and it seemed to be a good answer on this occasion. I was delighted by Goetze’s game; his goal was well taken and his touches, craft and trickery looked like the Goetze of old. I think we’ll soon see a lot more from him at Bayern. He has a lot to contribute.
- Schurrle had a great game. He was never a player I thought very highly of, but I’d have to acknowledge that he was clearly man-of-the-match on the night. His finishing was good, but his strength on the ball was equally impressive. I don’t think that he’ll be chosen ahead of Reus, but Podolski’s place must be under threat unless he can return from injury and play a great season for Arsenal.
- I’ve wanted to see Kroos and Oezil start together for a long time and that has started to happen in recent games. I think that it is working very well too. Both delivered unspectacular performances (apart from Oezil’s goal) but they performed at a very high level and really were the twin heartbeat of the team. I hope that Loew took notice.
- Kruse reminds me of Mandzukic in some respects. His workrate was very good, he was skilful, not too often dispossessed, and he didn’t get many clear chances, so there’s little reason to complain about his lack of goals. I think that he may be the team-player that this German midfield could use, and I think he’ll be going to Brazil next summer.
- Sweden? I do hope that they get through the play-offs. I think that they deserve it.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby scaPEPgoat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

MoFattal wrote:
Borusse wrote:He scored a hat-trick in a damn friendly, relax people.

If this is about Schurrle, then I agree. He needs to produce top class performances on a consistent basis before being considered "world-class".

He has 11 goals in 28 caps at the age of 23 on one of the world's best teams. To me that is pretty consistent. Especially when so many of those caps he has come on as a sub.
And the game may not have mattered but that does not make it a friendly...it was a WC qualifier.
Plus the 4 goals he scored this week showed off some of his different skills : speed, strength, ball-control, wicked shot. It's not like half his goals are tapping in PK's like Ozil. Schurrle has a better goal per game ratio than Ozil or Muller and they have had more minutes per game by far. How is he inconsistent?
scaPEPgoat
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MoFattal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Get me the total number of shots made and we can further discuss the matter.
MoFattal

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby YlonenXabi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:14 pm

I think that Schürrle should be Germany's 12th player.

With his speed and skills he always have big impact on the game when coming off the bench. But he can also start if Reus or any other attacking player is not fit.

I think he has more to offer to this team than another great player like Draxler

--------------------------ST---------------------------
Reus/Schürrle------Özil/Kroos-------Götze/Müller
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby MoFattal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm

That would be a good idea but it is subject to him consistently starting for Chelsea.
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby scaPEPgoat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm

That is like saying Shaqiri is not world class because he doesn't start regularly for Bayern
scaPEPgoat
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Borusse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Shaqiri is not world class. This word is way overused and lost its meaning. Ribery is for example world class. If you call Shaqiri world class you put him on the same level as Ribery, its just stupid.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Borusse wrote:Shaqiri is not world class. This word is way overused and lost its meaning. Ribery is for example world class. If you call Shaqiri world class you put him on the same level as Ribery, its just stupid.

My thoughts exactly! Shaqiri is not world class yet and i think the same would go for Thiago and Boateng, those players need a couple more years of consistent play to be considered world class imo....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby MoFattal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:50 am

I think Borusse pretty much did the argument for me there ;)
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby tflags » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 am

Borusse wrote:Shaqiri is not world class. This word is way overused and lost its meaning. Ribery is for example world class. If you call Shaqiri world class you put him on the same level as Ribery, its just stupid.

No it is not. He's the most expensive/rated player in the world's 7th ranked team. Explain to me how that would not qualify for 99% of today's football superlatives. On the other hand calling Ribéry World Class IS an understatement.

( :P )
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Previous

Return to German National Team