You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2008-10-15] Germany vs Wales

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Germany will win
75%
It will end in a draw
25%
Wales will win
No votes

Total votes : 4

[2008-10-15] Germany vs Wales

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm

A shock wave struck the Germany camp on Saturday when striker Kevin Kuranyi failed to report to the team bus after his team’s 2-1 victory over Russia. It was later found that the Brazilian-born Kuranyi had left the Signal Iduna Park at halftime, having had his frustration over not playing reach a fever pitch.

Kuranyi has since apologized both publicly and privately, but Germany coach Joachim Löw has vowed to never again select the 52-times capped forward.

Germany will hope to put the Kuranyi drama behind them and go four points clear of Wales in Group 4 with a win tomorrow. Following a good showing against Russia in which he scored the second goal, skipper Michael Ballack skipped practice on Monday after complaining about a right calf injury. The Chelsea midfielder is currently a doubt for tomorrow’s match.

If Ballack is unavailable to play, Torsten Frings will be given the opportunity to appeal to Löw for a starting role. In the Russia match, the Werder Bremen midfielder was a surprising absentee from the German starting eleven as Löw opted to pair Thomas Hitzlsperger with Ballack in central midfield.

Against a Welsh team that will undoubtedly play defensive football, intensity and willingness to run will be crucial for German victory. Complacency in any manner will prevent goal-scoring opportunities, especially against a Welsh side that may include three central defenders, and could spell trouble on the defensive end as well.

For this reason, the form of such hard-workers as Lukas Podolski, Miroslav Klose, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philipp Lahm, and Michael Ballack will be of utmost importance to Germany.

Ahead of tomorrow’s match, Welsh defender Gareth Bale spoke confidently of his team and issued a statement of intent: “We’re going there looking for a result… There’s no reason why we can’t do that.”

Recent history agrees with Bale; nearly a year ago, Wales visited Germany in Frankfurt and finessed their way to a 0-0 draw. For the young Welsh team, the key to success was their effort.

The Welsh played terrifically energetic defense and held a rather smug German side to very few opportunities. The visitors nearly pulled off the winner as Carl Fletcher sent a shot from 18 yards just wide of the post.

Since then, the young Welsh team has gained experienced and matured. A month ago, the Welsh were somewhat unlucky to have lost 2-1 away to Russia. After Bale was fouled in the penalty area in the 17th minute, the Tottenham Hotspur fullback had his penalty shot saved. The match ended in a 2-1 victory for Russia after a late winner from Pavel Pogrebnyak.

Against Germany, Wales will again try to use their energy and tenacious defense to frustrate the home side and disrupt their rhythm. Wales will take to heart the old adage that “the best offense is a good defense” as they will try to force Germany to overextend itself on the attacking end before punishing the home side on the counterattack.

With any luck, Wales may end tomorrow’s match on top of group four.

FORM GUIDE:

Germany

10/11/08 Germany 2 Russia 1 (World Cup Qualifier)

9/10/08 Finland 3 Germany 3 (World Cup Qualifier)

9/6/08 Liechtenstein 0 Germany 6 (World Cup Qualifier)

8/20/08 Germany 2 Belgium 0 (Friendly)

6/29/08 Germany 0 Spain 1 (Euro Final)

Wales

10/11/08 Wales 2 Liechtenstein 0 (World Cup Qualifier)

9/10/08 Russia 2 Wales 1 (World Cup Qualifier)

9/6/08 Wales 1 Azerbaijan 0 (World Cup Qualifier)

8/20/08 Wales 1 Georgia 2 (Friendly)

5/28/08 Iceland 0 Wales 1 (Friendly)

TEAM NEWS

Germany

The German camp has been reluctant to report much on Ballack’s injury, so it’s hard to predict a definite lineup. If Ballack is healthy, we can expect the same starting eleven Löw used against Russia. Otherwise, Torsten Frings will likely replace Ballack in central midfield.

Probable Starting XI: Adler – Lahm, Westermann, Mertesacker, Friedrich – Trochowski, Hitzlsperger, Frings, Schweinsteiger – Podolski, Klose

Wales

With a full squad of healthy players in the Welsh camp, the only uncertainty is what formation John Toshack will decide to use. Conflicting reports indicate either a 4-5-1 or a 5-4-1 formation from the Welsh. Either way, the presence of a lone striker up front means that 18-year-old Sam Vokes will be relegated to the bench following an underwhelming performance against Liechtenstein.

Probable Starting XI: Hennessey – Bale, Williams, Nyatanga, Morgan, Gunter – Edwards, Koumas, Fletcher, Davies – Bellamy

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Germany – Lukas Podolski

At the moment, Podolski is the only dependable goalscorer on the German team. If he is in form, Germany will score 2 or more goals. If not, the home team may be in for a frustrating evening. A lot depends on how defensive the Welsh line up. Podolski tends to use space created by his partner, but will have a difficult time doing just that if the Welsh line up with three central defenders.

Wales – Craig Bellamy

The former Liverpool striker will hope to score against the tall and formidable combination of Per Mertesacker and Heiko Westermann. One advantage that Bellamy has is his pace, which by far exceeds that of the German centre-backs. A long ball forward to Bellamy could make all the difference for Wales.

PREDICTION

Much of the media has been playing up the Kuranyi ordeal as part of a larger crisis in the Germany camp, but I reject these claims. Kuranyi left because he was fifth in the pecking order on his national team; if anything, his departure solidifies the fact that Germany have a very solid striking contingent. Of course, a lot will depend on the resolve of both teams, which won’t be evident until the match begins.

Still, Germany have been phenomenal in tournament qualification for quite some time, and I can’t imagine them slipping up badly tomorrow. Wales, on the other hand, still have some maturing to do before they realize their potential.

Germany 2-0 Wales

Clark Whitney

-------------------

I agree with most that has been said here, and the 2-0 scoreline prediction seems just about right.
20GB free cloud storage! -- follow this link, sign up, install app and we both get 5GB extra :)
MUTU
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2008-10-15] Germany vs Wales

Postby reiniksrobis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Good prediction, I hate defending teams like Wales. : :evil: Germany to win!!!!

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 pm

If they can continue their good form and play as good as they did in the 1st half against Russia , its gonna be more than 2-0.
Personally , I'm excited to see Adler in goal , he would be my first option if Rensing cant live up to expectations .
He has a clause in his contract which insures him he can move to any club that is willing to pay 20 million. :)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah, 1:0 but Germany was absolutely the best team on pitch! Wales sucked. They can not play good football!!!! Trochowski goal was fantastic! Schweini, Lahm, Ballack, Poldi, Der Hammer, had great chances! GERMANY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WALES! :D

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MrLinky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 pm

... and Albania drew 0-0 away against Portugal. 8)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Great match. Germany had plenty of chances, but they couldn't make them pay. Trochowski's goal was world class! And to think Bayern sold him for peanuts :roll:

Also, Van Bommel scored the only goal in the match against Norway!
20GB free cloud storage! -- follow this link, sign up, install app and we both get 5GB extra :)
MUTU
Site Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:28 pm

It wasn’t the prettiest of games, but Germany clinched a narrow 1-0 win thanks to Piotr Trochowski’s second half strike. Wales put on a valiant defensive display but still went home empty handed.

Germany:

Adler- 6.5:

The Leverkusen keeper winning his second cap wasn’t overly tested- he didn’t have a save to make in the first 45 minutes. He was called upon though on 54 minutes to save from Bellamy, but beyond that it was a rather comfortable night for the international newcomer.

Lahm- 6.5:

An okay night from the Bayern Munich full back. Secure enough at the back, but we didn’t see too much of him going forward. He did produce a trademark run, cut inside and shot on 54 minutes which hit the outside of the net, but beyond that not too involved.

A.Friedrich- 6.0:

With Wales not a massive force as an attacking entity, right back Friedrich had a quiet night and was taken off in the second half for the more offensive Clemens Fritz as German sought the opening goal.

Mertesacker- 7.0:

Brought the ball out from the back well throughout the game and had a good game up against the pacey Craig Bellamy. Not really tested by an under-manned Welsh attack.

Westermann- 7.0:

Like central defensive partner Mertesacker, he had a comfortable night. He did get forward once in the second half to produce a dangerous shot but Hennessey was equal to it.

Hitzlsperger- 7.0:

Given the nod once again ahead of Werder’s Torsten Frings, the ‘Hammer’ had a solid game in midfield alongside Michael Ballack. Whether he has done enough to keep his place in the side remains to be seen, but the Stuttgart man can have no complaints over tonight’s performance.

Ballack-7.0:

The captain didn’t look 100% following his calf injury but was still an impressive performer. He was unlucky not to score just before half time when Hennessey saved well from his goal-bound shot. He also hit the post with a free kick on 75 minutes.

Trochowski-8.0:

Lively in the first half, and even more of a threat in the second. The in-form Hamburg midfielder hit the winning goal of the game with a piece of skill that turned James Collins inside out before curling a shot beyond Wayne Hennessey.

Schweinsteiger-7.5:

Not at his absolute best, but he was always on the go and probing with some dangerous deliveries. Germany’s slick passing was a joy to watch at times, and Schweinsteiger is one of the best proponents of that style of play.

Podolski- 6.5:

Not as dangerous as he was against Russia, and was taken off in the second half. Two games for Germany within a week, must mean a place on the Bayern bench this weekend!

Klose- 6.0:

Hit with a crunching tackle from James Collins midway through the first half and wasn’t really involved thereafter. Taken off at half time with Helmes replacing him.

Subs:

Helmes- 6.5: The in-form Bundesliga top-scorer didn’t really have any clear cut chances.

Fritz- 5.0: More offensive than Friedrich, but didn’t really have much of an impact.

Gomez- Very nearly scored with his first touch on 83 minutes but was denied by a block. Still looked a shadow of the striker seen week in week out in the Bundesliga.

Wales:

Hennessey- 7.0:

Pulled off a good save just before half time from a Ballack shot and denied Westermann again in the second half. He was helpless to save Trochowski’s shot which gave Germany the 1-0 win.

Gunter- 6.0:

He was a little careless in possession and was guilty of ball-watching at times. Substituted in the second half with Sam Ricketts coming on.

Bale- 6.5:

A rather quiet and ineffective performance from the Tottenham defender. Didn’t get forward as he would have done against lesser opposition.

Morgan-6.5:

Morgan was solid enough in a three-man central defensive line-up.

Williams-7.5:

Ashley Williams was a key member of the back five for Wales and was on hand o numerous occasions to clear the danger. He did the simple things well and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Collins-7.5:

James Collins was, alongside Ashley Williams, one of Wales’ better performers and will consider himself unlucky to end up losing. Played well throughout, only to have Trochowski turn him inside out for the goal

Edwards-7.0:

Played well in midfield moving from defence into counter attack very well. Often linked up well with Bellamy but to little result.

Davies-7.0:

Davies saw plenty of the ball and was busy throughout the game. He got through a lot of unseen work that was vital to Wales' overall defensive display.

Koumas-7.0:

Like Davies, busy and got through a lot of work.

Fletcher-6.0:

He was by-passed to a great extent in the match and came off on 77 minutes with Carl Fletcher replacing him.

Bellamy-7.0:

Bellamy ran and ran tonight for the team but to little effect. He was never going to have much luck in the air against the likes of Mertesacker and Westermann. He had a good effort in the first half, but generally sacrificed himself for the good of the team.

Subs:

Evans- The Manchester City forward had little effect after his introduction with Germany pressing forward and Wales having to defend.

Robinson- n/a

Ricketts- Received the one and only yellow card of the game minutes after coming on as a sub.
MUTU
Site Admin

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:36 pm

Highlight of the goal:
MUTU
Site Admin

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Great goal by Troche! I've been saying for 2 years now that he deserved a real chance in the national team. Germany would've done even better in the Euro with him in the starting lineup because he sort of fills in the gap left by Schneider, i.e. he is creative and can split up defenses. I also wonder why Bayern let him go so easily.
MVB scored a nice goal too--hopefully, he will start doing better for us too.

Mutu, don't post stuff by Clark Whitney (goal.com), the guy is simply a retard, he is always making mistakes (example: according to his match report the game was played at the Allianz-Arena!) and his ratings suck (my 3 year old daughter can make better judgments). After I politely corrected him twice in the last two Germany games, in which he screwed up on who had made the goal assists, my messages no longer get posted at goal.com.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:49 pm

walter wrote:Mutu, don't post stuff by Clark Whitney (goal.com), the guy is simply a retard, he is always making mistakes (example: according to his match report the game was played at the Allianz-Arena!) and his ratings suck (my 3 year old daughter can make better judgments). After I politely corrected him twice in the last two Germany games, in which he screwed up on who had made the goal assists, my messages no longer get posted at goal.com.

Yeah they tend to be bad, but at least they give an indication to whoever didn't get to watch the match.
MUTU
Site Admin

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MrLinky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:03 am

MUTU wrote:Also, Van Bommel scored the only goal in the match against Norway!

Maybe the "Podolski-syndrome" ? :lol:
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby walter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:28 am

The ratings were actually by Matthew Burt, who I like a lot and I almost always agree with. I was referring to the match preview, which was written by Clark Whitney. Both of them write about German soccer but Matt is WAY better.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby MrLinky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Van Bommel's beautiful goal against Norway.
Reminds a bit of the goal he scored in the CL against Real Madrid for us. :)

MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:45 pm

MrLinky wrote:Van Bommel's beautiful goal against Norway.
Reminds a bit of the goal he scored in the CL against Real Madrid for us. :)

wow what a first timer! that's difficult to score
MUTU
Site Admin

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:01 am

I also thought the same thing about the goal. Against Madrid he also retracted his leg to avoid the tackle when taking the shot--great technique.
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

Next

Return to German National Team