You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2007-06-06] Germany vs Slovakia

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

Outcome?

Germany wins
70%
Draw
10%
Slovakia wins
20%

Total votes : 10

[2007-06-06] Germany vs Slovakia

Postby podolski4life » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:05 pm

This is the second Euro 2008 qualifier. Right now, we’re at the top of Group D with 16 points. The Czech Republic is second with 14 points (held to 0-0 draw with Wales). Slovakia should be significantly more difficult than San Marino, but we should get a win. We're playing at home again.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:49 am

Germany is not only two points ahead of Czech Republic, but they also got one game in hand!!
FC Bajern

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Miroslav Klose and Torsten Frings have used the press to take a swipe at each other recently, but Low claims this will not distract from Wednesday night's Euro 2008 qualifier against Slovakia.

"They are adults, and experienced players," he said. "The atmosphere in the squad has not been damaged at all."

Frings had told Klose he "would be better off leaving" Bremen after he was caught meeting with representatives of Bayern Munich towards the end of last season.

On Tuesday, Klose responded in a newspaper interview, saying Frings "changes his mind on an hourly basis."

The pair have now settled their issues and are both concentrating on helping Germany move even closer to a place in Euro 2008 by completing the double over Slovakia.

"I am happy that Miro has actually said something and shown some sign of life," said Frings.

"There has been so much rubbish written about him recently. We actually get on well."

Following Saturday's 6-0 win over San Marino, Germany already have a comfortable two-point cushion over Czech Republic at the summit.

The Republic of Ireland are a further point behind, but both have played one game more than the 1996 tournament winners.

With opponents Slovakia on nine points in fourth place, a win for the home nation on Wednesday would effectively make it a three-horse race for qualification.

Low has already revealed his team for the game with just one alteration made from the side which started against San Marino.

Clemens Fritz of Bremen will take the place of Roberto Hilbert on the right of midfield while there is no room on the bench for Aachen forward Jan Schlaudraff, who has undergone an operation.

Slovakia coach Jan Kocian is preparing to return to the city where he once performed as a player for St Pauli.

"I have some of my fondest memories of Hamburg, in particular St Pauli," he said.

"But I know it is not going to be a walk in the park for us on Wednesday.

"It will be the most difficult game of my coaching career."

He is not the only Slovakian in familiar surroundings with the most experienced member of his squad, Nurnberg striker Robert Vittek, hoping to play.

Vittek missed the German Cup final due to a thigh strain, but is confident of recovering for Wednesday.

"The muscle is improving day by day," he said. "It's still unclear if it will hold for 30 minutes or a whole game, though."

New Bochum striker Stanislav Sestak claims he is ready to step up if Vittek is out.

The 24-year-old former MSK Zilina forward hopes to prove he is capable of playing international football if he is named in the side.

Sestak told www.profutbal.sk: "I hope I will be among the players who will play on Wednesday.

"We will see if our coach will decide to play with two or one forward and everything depends on Robert Vittek's state of health as well.

"All the players have to give 100% - that is the only way we can get a good result.

"If selected to play against Germany I will take my chance because I want to show my qualities."
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Klose finally scored :roll:

edit: nevermind, it was an own goal, I think
FC Bajern

Postby podolski4life » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:13 pm

FC Bajern wrote:Klose finally scored :roll:

edit: nevermind, it was an own goal, I think

Nah it was an own goal by Metzelder.

EDIT: Germany 2-1 Slovakia

Durica (OG) 10'
C Metzelder (OG) 20'
T Hitzlsperger 43'
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:43 pm

I meant the first goal. and yes it was an own goal. Klose sucks :lol: ... ok not really, just a little bit
FC Bajern

Postby soccerkyle » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:49 pm

that Metzelder goal was hilarious
soccerkyle
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:04 am

Man this topic got dead, even San Marino's game got more replys. wow
FC Bajern

Postby tracylynn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I don't think Klose sucks. I think the problem with Klose is that he is still recovering from that illness he had early on in the year. I don't believe they said what it was or even if they knew what it was. Whatever it was, it took a toll on him and it shows. I do believe he said that he's starting to feel more like his old self. So, I think he'll be back to normal by August.

I guess Metzelder thought he was playing for Slovakia for that brief moment. :lol:

Well, Germany is now 5 points clear of the Czech Republic. Yeah!! Next game is in September and it's against Wales.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Thomas Hitzlsperger's first goal since he netted in Germany's 13-0 slaughter of San Marino last September and was a well-taken header from a cross by Bayern Munich's Philipp Lahm two minutes from the break.

The win at Hamburg's AOL Arena takes Germany up to 19 points at the top of Group D, five points clear of the Czech Republic in second and leaves Joachim Loew's side in pole-position to qualify for next June's European Championships in Austria and Switzerland.

Germany took the lead after 10 minutes when it looked as though Werder Bremen's Miroslav Klose had finally broken his goal drought having been given a hard time in the German press.

Klose, who turns 29 on Saturday, faced some stinging criticism after failing to score in Germany's 6-0 Euro 2008 win over San Marino last weekend and the top-scorer at last year's World Cup is under pressure to keep his place.

After German defender Marcell Jansen slid his pass through the visitor's defence, the grateful Klose looked to have put his side 1-0 up, but replays showed it was Slovakian defender Jan Durica who stabbed the ball home.

But Slovakia were level less than ten minutes later when Germany's Christoph Metzelder tried to clear the danger after a superb run from Matej Krajcik, but only suceeded in putting the ball past his own goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

Hitzlsperger then put Germany back in the lead just two minutes before the break with his well-taken header, with what turned out to be the winning goal.

Germany came out firing after the break and captain Bernd Schneider will miss Germany's next Euro 2008 game in Wales this September after picking up another yellow card for a loose tackle.

The home side kept up the pressure on the Slovakian defence and 21-year-old hot-shot striker Mario Gomez came on midway through the second-half, but he failed to repeat last Saturday's trick of scoring twice as he did in the win over San Marino.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby walter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Jansen and Lahm were the two players that really impressed during the game. I really didn't know Jansen wa so good and fast, but I still rate Lahm better. I think we're gonna have a stiff competion at fullbacks on both sides next season. Sagnol must be having nightmares of losing his spot in the starting lineup...
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to German National Team