You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2007-09-12] Germany vs Romania

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Germany will win
75%
Draw
13%
Romania will win
13%

Total votes : 8

[2007-09-12] Germany vs Romania

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Germany will be playing a friendly against Romania in Cologne. Germany have played Romania on 12 occasions since 1935, resulting in 7 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses for a combined goal tally of 35-17.
Last edited by MUTU on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Miss Dangerous » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Germany will win! since they`re gonna play home and their players in such a good form =D>
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:31 pm

Former Cologne team-mates Lukas Podolski and Patrick Helmes will lead Germany's attack in a friendly international against Romania on Wednesday.

Coach Joachim Loew is making several changes for the match in Cologne from the team that defeated Wales 2-0 in a Euro 2008 qualifier in Cardiff on Saturday.

The Germans go into the match in relaxed mood after Saturday taking another major step towards qualifying for next summer's tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

The defeat of Wales gives Germany 22 from a possible 24 points in Group D, while under Loew the Germans have now won 11 and drawn one of 13 games.

"After this win we can be relaxed going into the (qualifying) games against Ireland and Czech Republic in October," he said.

"In the last qualification years we were often under pressure to win our last game. Now we have three home games. I think we are in a position to do it."

Loew will use the Romania game to try some new variations, with goalkeeper Jens Lehmann - still troubled by an elbow injury - to be rested.

Former Stuttgart 'keeper Timo Hildebrand, who is now with Valencia, and Hanover's Robert Enke could each see 45 minutes of action.

Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Bernd Schneider, who missed the Wales victory through suspension, has been called up and will captain the side in the absence of injured Michael Ballack.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, who was effective in a central midfield role, may find himself again out wide, with Schneider perhaps pairing up with his Leverkusen team-mate Simon Rolfes.

Podolski came off the subs' bench against Wales to get 18 minutes of action, his first for Germany since March following injury.

The friendly comes just right for the Bayern Munich striker to get some much-needed match practice, and Loew confirmed Monday he would be pairing up with his former Cologne partner Helmes who has yet to start for Germany in his three caps so far.

It means a rest for Miroslav Klose who scored both goals in the defeat of Wales. Also rested will be Werder Bremen defender Per Mertesacker in view of his side's Bundesliga game against Borussia Dortmund on Friday.

Romania will prove a bigger test than insipid Wales and arrive in Cologne atop Group G and with an undefeated run stretching back 14 games to May 2006.

In their Euro 2008 qualifier on Saturday Romania overcame Belarus 3-1 and lead Group G with 20 points from eight matches, three points ahead of second-placed the Netherlands.

"We will be taken this game very seriously because it is a test for us before our match against the Netherlands," said Romania coach Victor Piturca, looking ahead to the October 13 encounter.

The veteran Dorinel Munteanu - now 39 and player-coach for FC Vaslui - is set to play on a ground he knows well having played for nine years for Cologne between 1995 and 2004.

"This is overwhelming for me. My family still live here and I know a lot of people here. I had to get more than 30 tickets for the match," he said.

In 12 meetings with Romania, Germany enjoy a record of seven wins, three draws and only two defeats.

One of those came the last time they met, on April 28, 2004 in Bucharest when Romania ran out 5-1 winners.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Miss Dangerous » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:44 pm

I hope that the German coach will not play Bayern`s players, since it`s a friendly match!! except Podolski.. he needs to play to get back his full fitness :D
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby diegis » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:55 pm

we'll win this :mrgreen:
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby diegis » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:05 pm

oh btw do you guys remember the last game between Romania and Germany? (a friendly in 2004) :mrgreen: :lol:
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Miss Dangerous » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:35 pm

The Arsenal goalkeeper had pain in his elbow after Germany's 2-0 win over Wales in a European Championship qualifier Saturday in Cardiff, coach Joachim Loew said Tuesday. His place will be taken by Timo Hildebrand, who has been only a reserve after moving to Valencia in the offseason.

Podolski and Helmes played together in second-division Cologne, before Podolski moved to Bayern Munich more than a year ago. Holmes, considered one of Germany's most talented strikers, still plays there, while Podolski is coming off a pale season in Bayern and a long absence because of a knee injury.

"It's a great thing, I played in Cologne for years," Podolski said.

Helmes will be making his fourth appearance for Germany.

Loew will rest Miroslav Klose and Kevin Kuranyi, who started against Wales. Klose, playing as captain for the first time, scored both goals in Cardiff.

Bernd Schneider, returning after a suspension, will take over as captain again in the absence of injured Michael Ballack. Another midfielder, Torsten Frings, is also out injured.

"I hope to make a few substitutions during the match," Loew said.

Romania also could be without its starting goalkeeper, Bogdan Lobont, who injured his foot in practice. Coach Victor Piturca has called up Marius Opa as backup.

Germany has not beaten Romania in more than 23 years and the last time the two teams met, in April 2004 in Bucharest, Romania routed Germany 5-1. Germany has a 7-3 record against Romania, with two draws.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FC Bajern » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:03 pm

supr4king wrote:oh btw do you guys remember the last game between Romania and Germany? (a friendly in 2004) :mrgreen: :lol:

Sometimes Germany doesn't just lose, but they lose big time.
FC Bajern

Postby FC Bajern » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm

good news for SNAKE

Jens Lehmann will in all likelihood miss the game after being unable to train on Monday. It seems that Timo Hildebrand and Robert Enke will be given 45 minutes each at the Rhein-Energie Stadion.

“It’s a very unusual injury, and I don’t think I’ll make it for Wednesday” Lehmann announced.
FC Bajern

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

FC Bajern wrote:good news for SNAKE

Jens Lehmann will in all likelihood miss the game after being unable to train on Monday. It seems that Timo Hildebrand and Robert Enke will be given 45 minutes each at the Rhein-Energie Stadion.

“It’s a very unusual injury, and I don’t think I’ll make it for Wednesday” Lehmann announced.

:lol: :lol:
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FC Bajern » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 pm

Podolski set to start for Germans in Cologne

Former 1. FC Köln hero Lukas Podolski will be the centre of attention on Wednesday when Germany take on Romania in a friendly at the striker’s former stamping ground, the Rhine-Energy stadium in Cologne. The Bayern man is set to start for his country for the first time in five and a half months, with local starlet Patrick Helmes at his side in an “all-Cologne” strikeforce. “It’s tremendous that I’ll get to play alongside Patrick,“ Podolski declared at a German Football Association (DFB) news conference on Monday. Coach Joachim Löw has announced his intention to rest Miroslav Klose, scorer of both goals in Germany’s 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifying victory over Wales on Saturday, and a clutch of regulars in midweek.
FC Bajern

Postby Ballattack » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:56 pm

3-1 for Germany :P

Schneider, Odonkor and Podolski scored.
Ballattack
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:49 pm

Good to see Podolski scoring
FC Bajern

Postby tracylynn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:33 am

09-12-2007
Germany's Podolski on target as Romania go down

Bayern Munich striker Lukas Podolski capped his full return to the German shirt with a superb goal eight minutes from time to seal the 3-1 friendly win over Romania on Wednesday night.

The 22-year-old, voted the best young player at last year's World Cup, only returned to the Bayern side after a long-term knee injury ten days ago, but showed he is back in form by rifling his shot home to seal the win.

Podolski came off the bench late in last Saturday's 2-0 Euro 2008 qualifier win over Wales in Cardiff, but played the full 90 minutes in Cologne to score his first international goal for ten months.

Super sub David Odonkor had earlier put Germany ahead just five minutes after coming off the bench as the Real Betis forward smashed home his first international goal on 65 minutes as Germany came from behind to dominate.

The Romanians, who top Group G, got off to a great start when defender Dorin Goian put them into an early lead before German captain Bernd Schneider put the hosts level with a bullet header just before the break.

After his side's impressive in Cardiff which underlined their status as Group D leaders, German coach Joachim Loew gave several fringe players their chance.

Podolski partnered second-division side Cologne striker Patrick Helmes up front.

But there was plenty of experience in midfield with Schneider making his 80th appearance alongside Bastian Schweinsteiger, the man-of-the-match in Cardiff.

The home side fell behind when an inch-perfect cross fell to the feet of unmarked Goian who stabbed his shot past Timo Hildebrand after just three minutes.

But Schweinsteiger whipped in a cross three minutes before the break for captain Schneider to score with a bullet-header to put the Germans level.

The home side squandered a host of chances, including close efforts by Podolski and Helmes, before Schneider's substitution made way for Odonkor to make his mark and then Podolski capped the win with his superb strike.

COLOGNE, Germany (AFP) © 2007 AFP

Lehmann was not the goalie. Does that mean Timo should not be given a chance to start since he let in a goal? :wink:
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby FC Bajern » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:00 pm

FC Bajern

Next

Return to German National Team