You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-06-16] Germany vs Portugal

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Germany will win
91%
It will end in a draw
4%
Portugal will win
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: [2014-06-16] Germany vs Portugal

Postby The Spyware » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:44 am

YlonenXabi wrote:Bild predicts this :shock:

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

This is the worst formation ever
The Spyware
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Egypt

Postby The Spyware » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 am

Loew still lives in 2010
It's like nothing had happened in these four years,
I can't believe how sluggish thinking is him if he plays like this
The Spyware
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Egypt

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am

The devil is back running - God Bless...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 am

The Spyware wrote:
YlonenXabi wrote:Bild predicts this :shock:

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

This is the worst formation ever

Nah it could be worse:

:P
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 am

Could be that he wants to have a strong link on the right - Lahm & Boa vs CR7
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 am

The Spyware wrote:Loew still lives in 2010
It's like nothing had happened in these four years,
I can't believe how sluggish thinking is him if he plays like this

Not even that. The 2010 team was better.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:58 am

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/team/germany/48 ... or-germany?

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Joachim Löw's Germany have taken much more time than anticipated -- and surely much more time than they'd hoped they would need -- but in the past 24 hours or so, things have begun to come together at last.

All the injury doubts have cleared up, and you didn't have to read too hard between the lines of player interviews, Löw's statements and those of chief scout Urs Siegenthaler to arrive at a good idea of the national team's expected lineup, formation and tactics for the opening game against Portugal on Monday. Two decisions in central midfield, while not unexpected, shape the rest of the team, as well as their strategy.

First, Captain Philipp Lahm will be one of two holding midfielders, next to Sami Khedira. The Bayern Munich skipper gave the game away as early as last weekend when he told The Guardian that he "expected" to feature in a central role after playing there for 45 minutes in the last friendly against Armenia.

Making way: Bayern teammate Bastian Schweinsteiger. Löw will be able to cite the 29-year-old's fitness struggles as a reason for his exclusion, but benching Germany's leading midfielder of the past two tournaments has an added political dimension. Schweinsteiger might not be the sort of player to cause a fuss, but by leaving him out, Löw also sends a message to his team and beyond. This time -- unlike at Euro 2012 -- there will be no deference to big names.

As strange as that might have sounded a few months ago, Lahm is the safer option at the moment, especially if you consider that Khedira, who has never been a true holding midfielder by nature, is also still in the process of coming back to full fitness.

Löw's second big decision: Toni Kroos will (probably) take up the No. 10 role. The Bayern player has been staking a claim on the more defensive position in the middle of the park, but the national manager wants him to play at the top of a midfield three in which he'll have more control. "The ball is safe with Toni," Bayern assistant coach Herrmann Gerland once said, and not losing the ball softly in the attacking third will be more of a priority to Germany in the hot Salvador, conditions than playing another attacking midfielder in his place. Kroos will also naturally play deeper than Mesut Özil or Mario Götze would do, so Löw's favoured 4-2-3-1 system will in fact be much more like a 4-3-3.

That in turn frees up the wide players -- just a little bit. They can stay higher up the pitch and provide an outlet for a more direct game. Siegenthaler, one of Löw's key advisers, told Frankfurter Rundschau that it would be a folly to play a "European game in South American conditions" and that high pressing would be impossible due to the humidity. Germany will thus start their attacks from a deeper position. They will still seek to dominate possession, but having the ball will take a backseat to not getting caught out on the break.

"It's vitally important that we don't chase a lead in those conditions," Lahm explained to me last week. In other words, Löw will seek to modify his approach and tailor it to the realities at hand. The idea of not conceding, not long ago treated as a mere afterthought by Löw, will be paramount in this group in Brazil.

Thomas Müller should start in the right attacking role. On the opposite flank, where there's suddenly a Marco Reus-shaped hole to fill, it's a battle between Lukas Podolski -- arguably Germany's most convincing performer during the tournament preparations -- and André Schürrle. The latter could get the nod due to his superior pace and ability to also play through the middle.

Özil is likely to play up front as a "false 9," but him, Müller and Schürrle/Podolski are supposed to keep changing positions constantly. The idea is to tire out the Portuguese in the first 60 or 70 minutes; then, Götze, Miroslav Klose or Schürrle/Podolski can come in to finish the job later on.

"Having players who can make a real difference from the bench is key," Lahm said. "Because the conditions will make it difficult to create chances while everyone is still at their physical best." Löw and Siegenthaler have made similar noises. Neither expect Germany to be able to play with the same fluidity of movement while spaces remain tight, so it makes sense to break up the 90 minutes into two, or even three, different mini-games with different personnel and tactics for each segment.

It's not a revolutionary concept but still a bit of departure for Löw, who was unwilling to moderate his footballing ideals in the past. This time, Germany will be a little more reactive, willing to lure out the opposition in order to be a bit less elaborate (read: quicker) on the break.

In defence, Jérôme Boateng will line up on the right side against Cristiano Ronaldo. The Bayern Munich centre-back is happier in the middle and not great going forward, but he also provides a better matchup than some might suspect. The 25-year-old is the fastest German defender; he's also their best athlete. Per Mertesacker (Arsenal) and Mats Hummels (Dortmund) will have to find an understanding in the centre, a partnership that has been a little lacking off the pitch. That leaves one open place. Benedikt Höwedes of Schalke 04 has reportedly made up some key ground on the inexperienced Erik Durm (Dortmund) -- Höwedes was tipped by Bild on Wednesday to take that spot in the first XI.

It goes without saying that the real test of all these plans will come only once the game actually kicks off against Portugal, just as the real test for "the outstanding team spirit" that Löw praised will arrive only in the wake of some players coming to terms with being left out of the starting XI. But at least, at last, Germany now know where they stand, tactically, and with whom. Now that there's certainty, a bit of optimism can flow from that.

It's about time.

What do you guys think? It's in line with Bild's predicted lineup. Also, Honigstein is pretty respectable.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby Dgro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:49 am

Like I said in the other thread, what jumps off the page at me is Basti's absence from the starting lineup. I would be ok with it if it were to make room for certain other players, but it bothers me that it's Khedira. I do not have faith in Khedira's form right now, not at all. I hope that Schweinsteiger will see time as a sub and possibly earn his way into the starting lineup

Other notes... Ozil as the false 9? In years past I would have been hesitant, but given his mediocre year with Arsenal...I'm downright pessimistic. There are at least 4 players on the roster I would rather see play striker. I do like that this presumably makes room for Kroos to play the 10. I expect Toni to step up and provide a few assists in the group stage, and probably a few long distance strikes in this more advanced position. I have high hopes for Kroos to be a big performer for Germany throughout the tournament.

I don't hate the back 4 in general but I do wish Lahm was back there for Portugal. Its interesting to see 4 guys who are all primarily CBs lined up. I do think this will be a more stable back four than previous lineups including players like Schmelzer and Jansen.

Overall I hope the article is wrong to conclude that this is the final decision. Low could do a lot better than this, although it isn't exactly a tragedy
Dgro
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:26 am

walter wrote:What do you guys think? It's in line with Bild's predicted lineup. Also, Honigstein is pretty respectable

I love most of it. He'd be right on those tactics, the heat, and so on. I'm also in favour of having a fluid attacking four and I don't mind Lahm in midfield, because he's the best one available. The thing is that while he's probably right on Schweinsteiger, Khedira is no better.

I still have some qualms with the lineup though. I'd rather see Gotze/Klose/Schurrle replacing Khedira (with a Lahm-Kroos midfield). Howedes I'm not sure about, but I won't judge him for now.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 am

I'd prefer this formation considering the current form/fitness of players:

I think it would be risky to start Khedira. He was the worst player in the CL final a couple of weeks ago, and he has been out for way too long for me to be convinced about him returning to form so quickly. I think Kroos would be the better option at the moment, until Basti gets back on track (he's not been on form in recent weeks as well). Lahm is there to do the defensive part, so having Kroos play alongside him wouldn't be a bad idea.

As for the LB position, I have serious doubts about Howedes. I trust him as a CB a lot more. Durm might be a risk due to inexperience, but experience isn't everything. If he has the right mentality and confidence, I see no reason for Durm not to start.

And finally, I agree with Low about not starting Klose (if that was the case). A small knock to Miro and he's out of the World Cup. He is needed for the latter stages and could be the perfect sub in case things were not going as planned, or in case he is needed to kill off a tie.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 am

don't laugh but IMO the key to win the first match vs Por is besides many things - Strength and air duels as Germany did vs the same opposition in Euro 2008

I'd go with a 4-3-3

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:29 am

Sport1:

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby theundead » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 am

But why would they tell their tactics to the public so early? It takes away the element of surprise IMO that this formation poses.
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby MUTU » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I want this:

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:07 am

ramsej84 wrote:don't laugh but IMO the key to win the first match vs Por is besides many things - Strength and air duels as Germany did vs the same opposition in Euro 2008

I'd go with a 4-3-3

I really like this formation but, not having watched the qualification games, I don't know if it is a possibility. Has Loew ever experimented with anything other than the 4-2-3-1?
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team