You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German football thread

Discussions on German clubs and football. Want to hear more about Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen and other Bundesliga teams? Find it all here.

Re: General German football thread

Postby aterford » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:27 pm

A bit behind, but re: the 50+1 discussion, about a month or two ago I looked into it and I found that only BvB and 1-2 other clubs were the only ones that were really vocally in support of keeping 50+1.... about 15 clubs or so have either said they'd support getting rid of 50+1, that they're indifferent to it, or that while they might not support the change 100% they'd get behind it and expect it will be gone sooner than later
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 pm

aterford wrote:A bit behind, but re: the 50+1 discussion, about a month or two ago I looked into it and I found that only BvB and 1-2 other clubs were the only ones that were really vocally in support of keeping 50+1.... about 15 clubs or so have either said they'd support getting rid of 50+1, that they're indifferent to it, or that while they might not support the change 100% they'd get behind it and expect it will be gone sooner than later

Sadly, the day will come -as you said- inevitably soon. I believe the reason why many in Germany are moving away from the concept is that 49% ownership has not prevented some with deep pockets from pumping money into some clubs and that alone moved those clubs ahead of traditionally fan supported clubs with an actual history behind.

I asked myself, after over 40 years following Bayern, if an oil sultan comes tomorrow and buys Bayern to turn it into the next Manchester City or PSG, should I still support the club?
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Jorge wrote:
aterford wrote:A bit behind, but re: the 50+1 discussion, about a month or two ago I looked into it and I found that only BvB and 1-2 other clubs were the only ones that were really vocally in support of keeping 50+1.... about 15 clubs or so have either said they'd support getting rid of 50+1, that they're indifferent to it, or that while they might not support the change 100% they'd get behind it and expect it will be gone sooner than later

Sadly, the day will come -as you said- inevitably soon. I believe the reason why many in Germany are moving away from the concept is that 49% ownership has not prevented some with deep pockets from pumping money into some clubs and that alone moved those clubs ahead of traditionally fan supported clubs with an actual history behind.

I asked myself, after over 40 years following Bayern, if an oil sultan comes tomorrow and buys Bayern to turn it into the next Manchester City or PSG, should I still support the club?
If that happens I will stop following the club instantly

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby RedQueen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm

There's no reason for doomsday scenarios. 50+1, as it is, will be gone sooner rather than later, as @aterford said, because almost everyone realizes an illegal rule can't be upheld forever.

I'm no lawyer but there are proposals how to reform the rule so it's in accordance with German and European law.

And even without any such rule, it's still the decision of a club whether to sell shares, what pecentage, and to whom. It's a typical German thing assuming there has to be an all-knowing super-authority that prevents stupid clubs from running into disaster. Somehow 50+1 hasn't kept the likes of Kaiserslautern from running into disaster.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby RedQueen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Previous

Return to Football in Germany