You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bundesliga TV rights 2017-2021

Discussions on German clubs and football. Want to hear more about Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen and other Bundesliga teams? Find it all here.

Bundesliga TV rights 2017-2021

Postby sch0ll7 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm

As you might know DFL officially opened bidding for new BL TV rights from 2017 to 2021 (4 years). The winners of the new TV rights will be known in a few weeks. Some analytics expect that new TV deal for domestic market will be worth up to 70% more than it was from 2013-2017. Analytics predict a €3.6 billion to €4.4 billion bill for the four-season deal.

Domestic TV deal is now worth around 670 mil€, but 20% of it goes to 2. BL.

2014/2015: 642 Millionen ( 1.Bundesliga: 513,6/ 2.Bundesliga: 123,4)
2015/2016: 663 Millionen ( 1.Bundesliga: 531 / 2.Bundesliga: 132)
2016/2017: 673 Millionen (1.Bundesliga: 539 / 2.Bundesliga: 134)

Which means in those last few years we got around 35-40 mil€ / year. Which is like 5x less than other big clubs in Europe.
Hopefully with this new deal we can get closer to those clubs in EPL or big spanish duo which get around 150 mil per season.
Some of EPL top clubs will get around 200 mil€ starting next season as they have the biggest TV deal in history.

One good thing that happened last year was that our international TV rights got bigger...jumping from 72 mil€ to more than 150 mil€.
That is a huge thing for us as in BL international TV money is distributed by different formula than domestic TV rights and we get a much bigger piece of the pie comparing to domestic TV money.

Comparing domestic and international TV rights distribution:

As you can see...from domestic TV money we got around 7% while from international TV money we got almost 21%. On that graph you can also see that we got 20mil€ more than last season...that is mostly because of the increase in international TV money.
International TV rights are distributed by a formula that uses UEFA rankings in the last 5 years. So considering that we will always get much more money than other clubs.

As you can see..this season we are getting around 72mil€ from our domestic and international TV rights for BL which is a lot more than we were getting few years back. Considering new domestic TV deal will get even bigger we can easily say that we can expect around 60-70mil€ just from domestic TV rights in 2 years time...which will bring us to 100mil€ with international TV rights.
And if DFL continues to make good deals for international TV rights in the future we can finally get close to other big clubs around Europe when it comes to TV income.

Lets hope that in few weeks time we can be happy about how the bidding process went and Sky, Telekom or whoever else gets the TV rights packages...spits out a lot of money :)
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Bundesliga TV rights 2017-2021

Postby German-American » Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Well written! I appreciate the research you put in, it'll be very interesting to see how RB Leipzig use the money. BVB will be at a constant level, which I love. I could see the BuLi having Bayern, BVB, and RbL as the 3 top dogs in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:44 pm

With Gladbach and Leverkusen hopefully improving European performances...
PD is by far the best league... But we shouldn't **** up so many games on European levels... Bundesliga is not represented well in Europe IMHO...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby sherpthederp » Wed May 18, 2016 7:53 pm

The frustrating thing for me right now is that Fox has rights for the Buli in the US but not the Pokal (ESPN). It's stupid seeing the league comps split between two different networks since I don't have cable and just pay for FoxSoccer2Go...
sherpthederp
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby tflags » Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm starting to like those international fans. Not only are they willing to watch Bayern more, but they also stick it up to Dortmund by giving more money to Schalke. :lol:
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu May 19, 2016 3:24 pm

tflags wrote:I'm starting to like those international fans. Not only are they willing to watch Bayern more, but they also stick it up to Dortmund by giving more money to Schalke. :lol:

Wow didn't notice that! How did that happen? :O Dortmund must surely be way more popular internationally than Schalke (and their coefficients must surely be better).

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Postby pyrasur » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 pm

Schalke has a definite following in the US. Can't explain why but they do have quite a few fans here.

My experience is that, in the US, Dortmund tends to attract hipsters who want to be different. And Bayern grabs the Americans who decided to follow because of the German national team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby sch0ll7 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Well...EPL clubs dont compete so well in European competitions...in fact BL clubs are better. Only Spanish clubs are better as everyone can see they are infront of everyone in CL and EL.

The biggest problem for BL is not being able to afford good wages. And that is mostly because of TV money. We get much less than clubs in EPL do. If you compare some Wigan to Dortmund. Wigan get 3x more money from TV pool than Dortmund who is 3x better in every way. And that is why you see good players in some Stoke City etc...Shaqiri, Bojan and Arnautovic went there because of the wages they got even tough it would be better to play in some Wolfsburg or Leverkusen. But money talks.

Hopefully with new domestic TV deal and increase in international TV rights clubs like Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Dortmund etc...can keep their players and that is the only way they can compete on the big stage.

BL clubs are better when it comes to commercial income comparing to EPL clubs. So the only big difference is TV money. And our clubs are much more financialy stable than La Liga and Serie A clubs. So getting a bigger TV deal in next few years is really important for BL as I believe it will get bigger and bigger and in some 5 years hopefully BL clubs will buy the players from La Liga and Serie A and will actually be able to turn down the offers from PL clubs.

Pay TV market in Germany is not as developed as in the UK, Spain or Italy...and that is why we were always lacking behind them. But with SKY and Deutsche Telekom getting more and more subscribers year after year it is only a matter of time before Germany becomes the biggest pay TV market in Europe. It will surpass Italy in 2 years and probably Spain in some 4-5 years if it the subscribers numbers continue to grow at the same rate.

The future of BL is bright and considering Germany is the biggest economy in Europe and clubs are financialy sound it is only a matter of time before BL becomes much stronger than La Liga and Serie A and comes closer to EPL...but I doubt we will ever surpass EPL..at least not in the next 10-15 years.
sch0ll7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby tflags » Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Sch0ll, what are you expecting the Bundesliga to get - next year - for the new domestic rights' contract?
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby sch0ll7 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:18 pm

I wish it was somewhere around 1 billion €/year...but lets see how it turns out. Hopefully Deutsche Telekom goes in hard and tries to outbid Sky. 4 years ago Sky got all the packages and when DT wanted to pay them so they can also show BL games to their subscribers Sky demanded too much money and it got ugly...but DT did give the money or they would lose a lot of subscribers.

Hopefully now they try to get some rights as DT is some 10x bigger than SKY and their revenue was around 70 billion euros...which means they could splash money if they want...while SKY has to bid as much as they can because their bussiness project is based on BL tv rights.

So let's hope those two go into war just like BT [british telecom] and british SKY did...and that is the sole reason EPL TV rights are so high.
sch0ll7

Postby #12 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Also it's worth mentioning that the "Bundeskartellamt" (no idea what it's called in English, it's a federal department monitoring the market and dealing with anti-trust-issues) has issued a "no single buyer rule" - which means Sky might still get to show everything but they will have to make a deal with other bidders (most likely Telekom) - so in the end we will probably have more providers for Bundesliga, paying more to the league and maybe even costing less...

(I'm hoping to keep sky though as I simply like to have one single provider where I can see all Bundesliga, Pokal and CL-matches in HD in great quality without a lot of issues...)

National Flag:
Germany

Postby bbenno » Fri May 20, 2016 12:42 pm

So Sky would then have to buy the rights back/lease the remaining rights back from Deutsche Telekom, in order to have all matches?

Could they really do that? Wouldn't that still go against the no-single-buyer rule?
bbenno
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby #12 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:50 pm

They're not allowed to buy them back... They can merely find an agreement to be able to also use (or even produce) their feeds... Which would mean the games would still be seen on "Entertain" (the Telekom broadcasting service) as well, so kind of like sub-contracting - it just gives more options...

National Flag:
Germany

Postby German-American » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:14 am

The TV deal will be announced tomorrow at a press conference in Frankfurt. This is a huge day and can determine how the BuLi will stand against other leagues

Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MUTU » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 am

German-American wrote:The TV deal will be announced tomorrow at a press conference in Frankfurt. This is a huge day and can determine how the BuLi will stand against other leagues

I have very poor expectations. Such a pity the deal ended now too.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Next

Return to Football in Germany