You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bundesliga TV rights 2017-2021

Discussions on German clubs and football. Want to hear more about Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen and other Bundesliga teams? Find it all here.

Re: Bundesliga TV rights 2017-2021

Postby MUTU » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:21 pm

What I don't understand is how in England, 53 million inhabitants are 'paying'* €2.18bn per season to watch the top 20 clubs.
I.e. each inhabitant is paying €2.06 per club, on average.

In Germany, 80.6 million inhabitants are going to be 'paying' €1.16bn per season to watch the top 36 clubs (since the deal is for the top 2 divisions).
I.e. each inhabitant is paying €0.40 per club, on average.

Even if 2. Bundesliga clubs were to get absolutely nothing, each German inhabitant would only be paying €0.80 per Bundesliga club, on average.

Basically, English people are paying considerably more money to watch football than Germans.

* I used the word paying because ultimately the money being paid by the broadcasters is 'recouped' through subscriptions and advertising.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby pep4 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:24 pm

La Liga domestic deal is only 833M€ per season, but they get over 600M€ for international rights. Bundesliga sold international rights last season for 160M€. Nevertheless I think Buli signed a good deal, I only wish it was for 3 seasons and not 4.

pep4
First post

Postby ottackon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:31 pm

ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby bbenno » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 pm

pep4 wrote:La Liga domestic deal is only 833M€ per season, but they get over 600M€ for international rights. Bundesliga sold international rights last season for 160M€. Nevertheless I think Buli signed a good deal, I only wish it was for 3 seasons and not 4.

MUTU wrote:What I don't understand is how in England, 53 million inhabitants are 'paying'* €2.18bn per season to watch the top 20 clubs.

In Germany, 80.6 million inhabitants are going to be 'paying' €1.16bn per season to watch the top 36 clubs (since the deal is for the top 2 divisions).
I.e. each inhabitant is paying €0.40 per club, on average.

Even if 2. Bundesliga clubs were to get absolutely nothing, each German inhabitant would only be paying €0.80 per Bundesliga club, on average.

Basically, English people are paying considerably more money to watch football than Germans.

* I used the word paying because ultimately the money being paid by the broadcasters is 'recouped' through subscriptions and advertising.

See this is exactly why im not that impressed with this new deal, but thinks its the minimum we should get in order to eventually just catch up to BPL and LaLiga.
I don't get that BuLi vs BPL discrepancy either. It must simply come down to the pay tv market in Germany not being so mature, and not splitting the kick off times more perhaps?
We should at least be able to get twice the amount La Liga is getting for their domestic rights! ...and not just 1,33 times as much!
bbenno
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:44 pm

MUTU wrote:We're talking averages mate. It doesn't matter how fairly spread out they are, the average will still be exactly the same.

Fair enough, but I'm referring to how much money the EL teams will actually get. A gap of 20 million at that level makes a huge difference, but it might be more or less than that in reality.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ottackon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 pm

It's cultural.
Germans are reluctant to pay money in order to watch football on TV unlike the english.
ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby bbenno » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:51 pm

If they would only pay half as much as the British do!

And why does it have to be for four years?

I guess we must put our faith in Christian Seifert making sure we get much better international deals in the next years...
bbenno
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby sch0ll7 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:54 pm

British rights are worth more because SKY in Britain has almost 11m subscribers that pay much more than 4.5mil subscribers that SKY has in Germany and Austria...and plus BT making competition to drive the prices up.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby #12 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:32 pm

ottackon wrote:It's cultural.
Germans are reluctant to pay money in order to watch football on TV unlike the english.

Partly... There's an early summary of the Bundesliga in free tv only one hour after the games on Saturdays traditionally... So many people don't want to pay... Also, we have kinda expensive public service broadcasting and many deem live footage not as important... Lastly, many people don't know you can actually get Sky for half off...
And as for pay-tv in general: we have very good free tv and a large selection of channels... They have to be received free if charge till 2021 (actually read it today)... Which is the year when they will switch to HD only, charging 60€ a year... Can't say if it's for better or for worse regarding Bundesliga rights...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCB 4 EVA » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm

This is a great deal for the league, an 85% increase is a great return, making the BL second in europe. We could never compete with the money thrown about in England, and we shouldn't look to. Money has no value any more in England, the league is so heavily reliant on the tv money its laughable. I hope this means that more clubs are able to compete regarding transfer fees, this can only be good news for the league, if it is utilized well.
FCB 4 EVA
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
England

Postby ottackon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Actually, the primary benefit for BL clubs as mentioned by Scholl I think, is that they can offer better contracts to their most valuable players, and that makes a huge difference because most german clubs don't rely on foreign players that much.
ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:58 pm

MUTU wrote:What I don't understand is how in England, 53 million inhabitants are 'paying'* €2.18bn per season to watch the top 20 clubs.

And on top of that, they are not allowed to broadcast matches before 17:15 on Saturdays!

It all started in the 1960s. Convinced by Burnley Chairman Bob Lord, Football League Chairmen joined forces to halt the airing of matches at 3pm on a Saturday. But why? Lord felt that big games being televised at that time would hurt attendances for smaller clubs, like his Burnley team.

Reasoning that people would rather watch a big game than support their local team, these Chairmen feared the potential loss of match-day revenue that could occur.

And so, based on that premise, with no real proof other than a hunch it came to pass that no match on a Saturday between 2:45 and 5:15 could be aired on TV within the UK. This has remained in place ever since, with the exception of the FA Cup final which has always been shown on a Saturday at 3pm until only recently when it was switched to 5pm in a controversial move by the FA.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ottackon » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Domestic Rights

ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby fashiondesign_guru » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:38 pm

pep4 wrote:La Liga domestic deal is only 833M€ per season, but they get over 600M€ for international rights. Bundesliga sold international rights last season for 160M€. Nevertheless I think Buli signed a good deal, I only wish it was for 3 seasons and not 4.

bbenno wrote:
I guess we must put our faith in Christian Seifert making sure we get much better international deals in the next years...

La Liga at the moment has the better deal than Bundesliga in international rights but Bundesliga is more accessible in the US on Fox than La Liga is on BeIN, therefore getting more viewers than the subscription channel BeIN is. This could reflect better on a future deal in favor of Bundesliga depending on ratings.

PL, for example, is the most accessible league in the US since it's through NBC affiliates and at least one game per week in broadcast on a public channel. They have very high ratings and can demand more money.

More visibility brings in more commercial partners and better image rights.

ottackon wrote:Domestic Rights

How much of this deal goes to Bundesliga 1 vs Bundesliga 2? And how much of PL money goes to championship (none I believe)? In terms of top division, domestic TV revenue still seems lopsided even after the new deal kicks in..
fashiondesign_guru
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby ottackon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 pm

ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Germany