You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Borussia Dortmund

Discussions on German clubs and football. Want to hear more about Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen and other Bundesliga teams? Find it all here.

Re: Borussia Dortmund

Postby Manchu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:58 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:That's why I was suggesting someone inexpensive who could give Dortmund a boost in midfield :D

I still think Dortmund can recover, but they need to take the right decisions in summer. They have no error margin anymore

Dortmund's basic problem is that their offensive midfield is stacked, but not very much else is. With Pulisic, Yarmolenko, Schurrle, Phillip, Reus, Gotze, and Kagawa, they have seven good offensive midfielders/wingers, of which they can deploy a maximum of four at anyone time, and probably should only start 3. Of course, all these players are not quite equal in talent, but they are all good enough to start for a club of Dortmund's standing.

Meanwhile, in contrast to their plentiful attacking options, they have few good players in other positions. Weigl hasn't proven himself to be any good without Tuchel holding his hand, Sahin is maybe decent at best on a really good day, and it goes down from there for the central midfielder, with the lack any sort of destroyer being palpable. The defensive line is even worse. In my opinion, the only decent defender that Dortmund has is Piszczek. Everyone else is decline(Schmelzer) or overrated(Sokratis). As for goalkeepers, Roman Burki is nothing special and struggles in possession. Finally, Dortmund only have one forward who isn't an 18 year talent not yet good enough to provide a decent backup.

This is imbalanced squad is, of course, the result of really poor squad planning. An excellent coach(Tuchel) might be able to cover up the weaknesses but most coaches can't or won't.

The best strategy for Dortmund to improve might be to sell two or three attackers and use the money(in addition to the Dembele and Aubameyang money) to improve the rest of the squad. Buying another attacker at this point would be exceptionally idiotic, but we all know that they are doing to do it.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm

^ This has been, IMO, Dortmund's biggest weakness since Klopp left and it's been pushed to an even greater degree after Tuchel's departure.
Dortmund simply has no vision. I don't think there's a single Dortmund fan out there who could say "Here is clearly what we're trying to do with our squad planning". I don't think the club has any clear direction right now and it's hard to see what their plan is beyond "buy low, develop, sell high".

Part of the trouble is that I think Dortmund (as a club) know that they can get away with buying "talents" because their fanbase genuinely believes they will turn into top class players. Many Dortmund fans don't complain when they get €100m and spend €25m of it on a youngster because they believe Dortmund can develop them into something great. While Dortmund has a decent record of developing youth, this game is trying to beat the law of averages and it's always going to be a failing endeavor. No matter how good your reputation for developing youth - you're always going to have more "misses" than "hits".

There are holes all throughout the squad.
Keepers? Bürki is wildly inconsistent, Weidenfeller is ancient, Reimann not yet a viable option.
Center backs? Toprak is poor, Sokratis is overrated (and if word is to be believed wants out), sold their best IMO in Bartra...Akanji and Zagadou both have potential but both very raw...
Fullbacks? Guerreiro is good, Schmelzer is past it, Toljan has been consistently awful, Piszczek has been good (But have to think he will decline soon), Durm always hurt.
Midfielders? Weigl has been crap for a year and simply can't cope with pressing teams - he's just poor without Tuchel. Sahin is awful, Dahoud has been awful, Castro is beyond awful, Rode is Rode (need I say more?)
Attackers? Götze has been inconsistent, Kagawa the same, Reus good but always hurt (let's be honest we're all expecting to hear word of another injury any day now - not that I hope that's the case), Schürrle has been poor for them (admittedly good in recent weeks), Yarmolenko has been terrible, Pulisic is overworked and exhausted....Batshuayi is good but I don't think they'll pay enough to keep him, Isak can't find the pitch to save his life and when he does he's poor...I do like Sancho and Philipp though.

Frankly though....if you looked at the 12/13 Dortmund teams? I don't think a single midfielder or defender from the current BvB squad would start. Bats or Isak wouldn't start over Lewy. Current Reus wouldn't start over 2013 Reus either, IMO. Maybe could see Großkreutz or Blaszczykowski benched in favor of Pulisic or in-form Philipp but even that's being generous, I think.
They've just declined in overall quality SO much. The money from Dembele and Aubameyang has yet to be effectively spent. Without a good coach there's no clear vision and without the right coach they won't be able to keep up buying cheap youngsters and flipping for profit. And ultimately with Watzke at the helm and BVB being a publicly-traded company it's always going to be difficult for them to aspire to do any better than second-best going forward...but for now they should be worried about just being able to maintain the #2 spot.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm

aterford wrote:^ This has been, IMO, Dortmund's biggest weakness since Klopp left and it's been pushed to an even greater degree after Tuchel's departure.
Dortmund simply has no vision. I don't think there's a single Dortmund fan out there who could say "Here is clearly what we're trying to do with our squad planning". I don't think the club has any clear direction right now and it's hard to see what their plan is beyond "buy low, develop, sell high".

Well, true-ish. Thing is, before we point fingers we need to look at ourselves as well: can you tell us what WE'RE trying to do with our squad planning? We have no idea who the coach will be or what we're going to be doing with the winger situation. The only planning I see is chucking money at a youth centre with the (IMO extremely optimistic) expectation of promoting one youngster every season. And then what, become a selling club or shall we keep on stacking up on a large number of players? Or shall we be promoting them and then letting their contracts run out and leave?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I haven’t seen Dortmund play in a while. Does Reus still have pace after all these injuries?
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm

MUTU wrote:
aterford wrote:^ This has been, IMO, Dortmund's biggest weakness since Klopp left and it's been pushed to an even greater degree after Tuchel's departure.

Well, true-ish. Thing is, before we point fingers we need to look at ourselves as well: can you tell us what WE'RE trying to do with our squad planning? We have no idea who the coach will be or what we're going to be doing with the winger situation. The only planning I see is chucking money at a youth centre with the (IMO extremely optimistic) expectation of promoting one youngster every season. And then what, become a selling club or shall we keep on stacking up on a large number of players? Or shall we be promoting them and then letting their contracts run out and leave?

I don't know, I think the signings of Kimmich, Goretzka, Süle, Gnabry (as well as Coman, Tolisso, and James) all make things a bit clearer. Replacing aging "core" players with younger players who have already been proven - and especially young German internationals.
You've got Kimmich to replace Lahm. Obvious one.
Goretzka and Tolisso to slot in once Vidal and Javi are phased out.
Gnabry, Coman, and perhaps even James to replace Robben and Ribery (and presumably another winger, but that remains to be seen)
Süle for the future after Boateng and Hummels.
I think this will be the "short-term" plan at least...

I agree that it's optimistic to think we'll turn out one senior-level player per year, but that's still a lot clearer of an objective than Dortmund has. I don't think they can point to anything quite as clearly as what I've said above.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby YlonenXabi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 pm

America USA wrote:I haven’t seen Dortmund play in a while. Does Reus still have pace after all these injuries?

Reus still need time to recover his speed, but his decision making is still outstanding.

Give Reus brain to Kingsley Coman and he will become Leo Messi.

Manchu wrote: With Pulisic, Yarmolenko, Schurrle, Phillip, Reus, Gotze, and Kagawa

Problem is that except for Pulisic and maybe Phillip, they are all very injury prone :|
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:46 pm

BILD is reporting that Dortmund want Hitzfeld :o
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby aterford » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:BILD is reporting that Dortmund want Hitzfeld :o

I believe it was *wanted* - they contacted him after sacking Bosz but he said no, I'm definitely retired
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:14 pm

My bad then ! :oops:
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 pm

I know this was in preseason, but if Messi vs Boateng was funny, what Reus did to Bonucci here is on another level :lol:

That little no looking touch is a very Reus-esque thing =P~
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

Postby America USA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I would like to see Kevin Trapp as Dortmund’s No. 1 next season.
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby DRvad14 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm

DRvad14
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby DerKaiser » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Marco Reus, Borussia Dortmund Agree to Contract Extension Through 2023 [source]
As long as no-one scored, it was always going to be close.’ – Arsene Wenger
DerKaiser
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Dortmund conceded and it was not a corner kick !!!

It was a free kick :roll:

And as I write this, Batshuayi gives Dortmund back their lead

2-1 :D
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Aaaaand they concede the equaliser in the extra time !! Easy tap in goal as Piszczek fell asleep #-o

2-2
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Germany