You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

RedCafe Interview: Manchester United vs Bayern Munich

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

RedCafe Interview: Manchester United vs Bayern Munich

Postby askabob91 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 am

Hi, I'm a blog writer over at redcafe.net (a Manchester United forum) and I was hoping I could do an interview so that I could write an article with opposition fans' views. Do you think you could give a short (a few sentences) response to these questions? I will give credit where it is due and link back to this forum in the article.

1. Owen Hargreaves was not a stranger to injury when he played for Bayern Munich. After a successful first season at Manchester United, he suffered perhaps the worst injury of his career which has kept him out of the game for nearly two years. Do you think Hargreaves can stage a successful comeback and reignite a career that has been plagued with injuries? Or are his best days behind him?

2. Manchester United and Bayern Munich have met competitively in Europe on seven occasions, with United winning one and Munich winning two. However, United seem to be getting better while Bayern do not seem to be the force they once were. What do you attribute this to?

3. General consensus seems to be that this Quarter Final is effectively a Semi Final, with the winner being favorites to progress to the Final against French opposition. How confident would you be about progression to the Final should you defeat United, noting that Bordeaux defeated you twice in the group stages. Furthermore, who would you prefer to face should you progress?

4. Do you think Ribery will leave this summer? If so, where?

5. In Robben and Ribery, Louis van Gaal has 2 of the most formidable wingers in world football. Is there any other team in Europe who can boast such a partnership?

6. With the departure of Lucio last summer, Louis van Gaal has yet to cement a solid defensive partnership in Bayern's line-up. How do you think your defense will cope with the in-form Rooney.

7. Do you still feel any resentment towards Manchester United after that defeat in 1999, or was victory in 2001 enough to quench your thirst for revenge?

8. Starting XI predictions?
askabob91
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: RedCafe Interview: Manchester United vs Bayern Munich

Postby eddinanM3 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 am

1. Owen Hargreaves as you stated had an issue with injuries before Man United acquired him and had and even worse one while at United that has been extremely difficult to come back from and at this point it would be anybody guess to say what will become of him? Yes, he is a very talented CDM and was one Bayern's best, but time and age makes it very hard to regain form and the odds of him being what he once was on the pitch isn't good at all. Can he play again for United, sure he can, but I don't think you are ever going to see him make as big of an impact as he did in years past and how long he can last before another inury occurs is another thing that has to be on SAF mind!

2. Man United have had a great run in the Ronaldo era and have made it to the finals of the CL twice and won once and have had tremendous success in the EPL with winning titles too. It would be hard to improve much on what they have done recently and I am sure the quality of the EPL has been a big part of it. Also there has been one constant at Man United that can't be overlooked and that is SAF as a manager. The consistency that SAF has brought to Man United is amazing and he is the glue that holds the puzzle together and keeps the engine running at a very high RPM! Bayern haven't had that as we have been on a carosul of managers in recent years and it has definately taken its toll on the team and its success in the Bundesliga and even more so in the Champions League. Part of this is the board own fault for not being patient and trying to always impose their own will on the club through the manager. Bayern don't work on the same budget that Man United do and don't spend as much and aren't in debt either and in the long run are more financially stable, but that also limits what they can spend on acquiring new players too!

3. If Bayern are able to progress past Man United to the semis against Bordeaux the consenus would be win win situation, because not only would we have gotten past a very difficult opponent in Man United, but we would have an encouter with a French side that we have already played twice and have something to prove against. Bayern was far from full strength in either encounter with Bordeaux and Ribery and Robben didn't play, plus Van Buyten and Muller were red carded for the second leg. Bayern weren't on form for either match as LVG was still playing with the lineup and trying to figure the team out and his personnel out, I am sure there would be a lot of motivation on Bayern's part to make ammends for the previous group phase losses!

4 Yes, I do think that Ribery will leave this summer as this season has been too much of a soap opera for Bayern with all the talk from him or his agent about Real Madrid and wanting this or that. It hasn't been good for the team and you can see that Ribery's play has suffered as well, partially from the inconsistent play because of injuries and partially because his heart is not 100% at Bayern anymore. The whole saga reminds me of Ronaldo a year ago. Bayern can and will survive Ribery because the young players that have been intergrated this season have already made a mark and more are coming this summer.

5. No, I don't think that any other team in Europe has that level of talent in their wingers when they are on form and I think that is pretty plain to see, but that doen't mean that they are going to decide the outcome of every game they play in. They are a part of the puzzle, an important part for Bayern, but the other parts of the team have to be up to the same level of play also, otherwise they don't work together smoothly as a unit! It takes 11 people to win consistently not just one or two.

6. The leaving of Lucio has not held Bayern back this season defensively, Van Buyten had a strong run toward the end of last season and was primed for the start this season and it showed as his play in the first half of the season was splendid. The injury to Demichelis allowed LVG to experiment and he found a young player in Badstuber that was very able to do the job, unfortunately the acquisitions that were made for LB during the summer were not up to par for what Bayern needed and that became a problem spot at the start of the season. When Demichelis returned from injury to the CB spot and Bayern moved Badstuber to LB the back four played some very solid fussball for quite a stretch, even though Badstuber was playing out of position. Overall bayern are better this season than they were last year and the goals against bear this out. The injuries recently have made it more difficult for LVG to field a coheasive unit and are still a problem. Obviously with Rooney on the form of his life that could lead to problems for Bayern in the back four and I am sure that is something that SAF would hope to exploit.

7. The loss in 99 was a very difficult thing to take and to understand. You feel cheated even though you really weren't. Man United will always be a very big rival for Bayern just because of the similarities between the two in their respective Leagues and that isn't going to change. Just as England and Germany are big rivals in the World Cup so are Man United and Bayern in club play! And no 2001 was not enough to satisfy our thirst, can you ever win enough CL titles? I don't think so!
eddinanM3
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Aequitas1987 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 am

1. Hargreaves is capable of coming back to his usual form even after such a long injury and that is solely because of one attribute that he possesses which is his mentality. Players like Rosicky and Eduardo when out for ages came back and have yet to regain their top form but are slowly getting there. Its not the same with Hargreaves, he has the intelligence and the mentality to reach his old form fairly quickly, he was never speedy and so a lack of speed wont affect his core game, which is to orchestrate the defence and combine it with the midfield.

2. I think this is an indirect affect of the money flowing into the EPL not directly into Manchester United but their key rivals. Hence, making the EPL more competitive this directly results in Manchester United becoming more competitive. There is a reason that the semi-finals of CL have been primarily compromised of EPL clubs. Combine that with the consistency of Ferguson, Giggs and key stars such as Ronaldo and Rooney and you have a successful reign. With the Bundesliga although improving considerably year by year and is eclipsing the Serie A after this season it still has a ways to go to be on the same level of competitiveness as the EPL.

3. I think this would be a big mistake. I have watched as Bordeaux taught Bayern a lesson in ABC football even though we were still in our transformative stage under LVG. Bordeaux is not a team to be underestimated. If they make it past Lyon they are not going to let Manchester or Bayern go through to the finals easily. They have a major game changing player in Gourcouff.

4. 100%. He will leave and go to Chelsea. This is because it’s the only club he has considering looking at in England, secondly they are intending to spend a 100$million this summer and ideally it would also be the best scenario for Bayern as we will be able to get some leftovers in the form of Zhirkov/Bosingwa or Alex who we desperately need.

5. Barcelona with Xavi – Iniesta. Robbery is to wingers what Xavi-Iniesta are to CM’s.

6. This is our biggest weakness. Without Schweinsteiger who is better than all our CB’s defensively we are going to leak goals like a sieve. The only salvation I see is playing Tymoschuck as a starting CDM. If LVG does that Tymo can showcase his amazing defensive skills like he did when Zenit took on Manchester United in the summer. Selling Lucio was not that big of a problem as not buying a replacement. The key against Manchester would not be to suffocate and double up on Rooney it would be to double up on his suppliers which are Valencia/Nani & Park. Without any crosses, Rooney wont be fed.

7. That feeling will never go away. There will always be resentment even though it was highly satisfying to come back two years later and win it all with the near same line-up. Encountering so many obnoxious Manchester United fans doesn’t help and only fuels the rivalry. I second the motion, you can never win too many CL’s.

8. Butt. Altintop-DvB-Badstuber-Lahm. Tymoschuck-MvB. Robben-Ribery. Klose-Muller.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Element » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

1-Hargreaves is an injury prone player , and he always managed to come back after injuries , question is that Does he really want to come back ?

He surely got bored of his weak body and bad resistance for injuries

I Think that He can Come back , but Manchester United must Support him and always remind him that he is not a player for the bench

=============================
2-Big Clubs only shine vs Big Teams , We Were crap Before meeting Juventus , but we managed to Beat the 1-4 in the Delle Alpi , and since then We Started to become the FC Bayern We Want , We Have Tied The Record on Consecutive wins in the Bundesliga

Now we are dropping , but we are not as bad as before Juventus , our current problems now are the Individual mistakes , and the lack of defenders , Before Juventus we had Formation and tactic issues , so we totally failed to impress anyone

=======================================
3-Good point , i have said many Times the The Quarter Final is harder than the Semi final , Because Bayern and Man UTD are stronger than the both French teams , so I Dont think that bayern or Manchester united will have troubles if they concede to the semi final

I would like us to play Vs Lyon , Because Bordeaux Are Inhuman for set pieces , and our defense is not the best in the Europe because The LB position is always been played By A Bad player (Even worse Than Man UTD RB position) ,

So With this defense we are too vulnerable to Set pieces , because we have 1 player Less Doing the Covering job

While Lyon plays more classic football in my opinion, Free kicks are mostly shots on goal , they pass , they just dont have An Identified Style of play , They Play football from the "Common Tactics book "

so we will be able to handle them
==============================
4- No idea , in some interviews You come out with The conclusion that he already has Extended

in other interviews , you can see that he has always packed and is waiting for 1st of June to leave

But I Think that if he leaves , He Will only go To Spain , And Mostly Barcelona

Reasons

1-Real Madrid players are Egos , and Ribery is An Ego so he wont feel "Egoistic" enough there

2-Henry will 80% leave So if Henry leaves , Ribery will 100% have A Starting position , And also in his FAv position the LEFT WING FORWARD

3-Don'T Forget that He will still have 1 year , so Like Rummenigge said " We Decide we Ribery is going to paly next season"

and we have An official Partnership with Barcelona , and we are actually very good friends with them .
===================
5-Like Nerlinger Said " We have The Best Wingers Combo in The World"

and this is true , Robben proved That he is world class in 4 Leagues , Ribery is just incredible , but problem is that because of the huge number of injuries , and Lack of A Proper LB , Ribery is not able to show even 60% of His skill

A 100% Robben can keep Evra busy during the 90 minutes , and A only 70% Ribery can Show G.Neville or Rafael How football is being played

So a 100% Robben and a 70% ribery are enough to come out with A Good result vs Man UTD
========================
6- Manchester United palyers are short , So Van buyten will win 100% of the balls in the air (we all know that) , so Man Utd has only The Ground to play on , Badstuber has A Good history in guarding Top strikers (He Guarded Dzeko and Grafite alone , and with PERFECTION , and i guess that Especially MAN UTD Fans know The Skills of Dzeko and Grafite)

The only that worries me is the other Fullback position (we have Lahm + ....) , If Alaba plays there and They use the side like Frankfurt did , we will lose at home i am sure of that

But If we play with Lahm and another Player who at least is A Fullback or has experience there (Altintop or Contento) , Plus Having A Badstuber in form , We will win

another case is schweinsteigers Absence , Schweinsteiger is Defensively better than all our defenders and MVB Combined

He Covers great , and also covers mistakes of MVB and wins Many tackles and clears many balls , and most important is That He is brilliant in starting counter Attacks

so Tymoschuk Must Play not pranjic , so that at least we can cover the Defensive part of Schweinsteiger

=================
7-Revenge or not , it is always great to win Vs Man UTD
==================
8-

------------------------------------------------------Butt-------------------------------------------------
Lahm------------------------------------Van Buyten-------Badstuber------------------------Contento
-------------------------------------------Tymoschuk-------Van Bommel-------------------------------
Robben--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ribery
-------------------------------------------Muller----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------Klose-------------------------------------

===========================
Anything else my friend
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby hgb09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Element wrote:1-Hargreaves is an injury prone player , and he always managed to come back after injuries , question is that Does he really want to come back ?

He surely got bored of his weak body and bad resistance for injuries

I Think that He can Come back , but Manchester United must Support him and always remind him that he is not a player for the bench

=============================
2-Big Clubs only shine vs Big Teams , We Were crap Before meeting Juventus , but we managed to Beat the 1-4 in the Delle Alpi , and since then We Started to become the FC Bayern We Want , We Have Tied The Record on Consecutive wins in the Bundesliga

Now we are dropping , but we are not as bad as before Juventus , our current problems now are the Individual mistakes , and the lack of defenders , Before Juventus we had Formation and tactic issues , so we totally failed to impress anyone

=======================================
3-Good point , i have said many Times the The Quarter Final is harder than the Semi final , Because Bayern and Man UTD are stronger than the both French teams , so I Dont think that bayern or Manchester united will have troubles if they concede to the semi final

I would like us to play Vs Lyon , Because Bordeaux Are Inhuman for set pieces , and our defense is not the best in the Europe because The LB position is always been played By A Bad player (Even worse Than Man UTD RB position) ,

So With this defense we are too vulnerable to Set pieces , because we have 1 player Less Doing the Covering job

While Lyon plays more classic football in my opinion, Free kicks are mostly shots on goal , they pass , they just dont have An Identified Style of play , They Play football from the "Common Tactics book "

so we will be able to handle them
==============================
4- No idea , in some interviews You come out with The conclusion that he already has Extended

in other interviews , you can see that he has always packed and is waiting for 1st of June to leave

But I Think that if he leaves , He Will only go To Spain , And Mostly Barcelona

Reasons

1-Real Madrid players are Egos , and Ribery is An Ego so he wont feel "Egoistic" enough there

2-Henry will 80% leave So if Henry leaves , Ribery will 100% have A Starting position , And also in his FAv position the LEFT WING FORWARD

3-Don'T Forget that He will still have 1 year , so Like Rummenigge said " We Decide we Ribery is going to paly next season"

and we have An official Partnership with Barcelona , and we are actually very good friends with them .
===================
5-Like Nerlinger Said " We have The Best Wingers Combo in The World"

and this is true , Robben proved That he is world class in 4 Leagues , Ribery is just incredible , but problem is that because of the huge number of injuries , and Lack of A Proper LB , Ribery is not able to show even 60% of His skill

A 100% Robben can keep Evra busy during the 90 minutes , and A only 70% Ribery can Show G.Neville or Rafael How football is being played

So a 100% Robben and a 70% ribery are enough to come out with A Good result vs Man UTD
========================
6- Manchester United palyers are short , So Van buyten will win 100% of the balls in the air (we all know that) , so Man Utd has only The Ground to play on , Badstuber has A Good history in guarding Top strikers (He Guarded Dzeko and Grafite alone , and with PERFECTION , and i guess that Especially MAN UTD Fans know The Skills of Dzeko and Grafite)

The only that worries me is the other Fullback position (we have Lahm + ....) , If Alaba plays there and They use the side like Frankfurt did , we will lose at home i am sure of that

But If we play with Lahm and another Player who at least is A Fullback or has experience there (Altintop or Contento) , Plus Having A Badstuber in form , We will win

another case is schweinsteigers Absence , Schweinsteiger is Defensively better than all our defenders and MVB Combined

He Covers great , and also covers mistakes of MVB and wins Many tackles and clears many balls , and most important is That He is brilliant in starting counter Attacks

so Tymoschuk Must Play not pranjic , so that at least we can cover the Defensive part of Schweinsteiger

=================
7-Revenge or not , it is always great to win Vs Man UTD
==================
8-

------------------------------------------------------Butt-------------------------------------------------
Lahm------------------------------------Van Buyten-------Badstuber------------------------Contento
-------------------------------------------Tymoschuk-------Van Bommel-------------------------------
Robben--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ribery
-------------------------------------------Muller----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------Klose-------------------------------------

===========================
Anything else my friend

Nice answers and to the point element. Good job bro.
hgb09
2014/15 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby askabob91 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks, any updates now that Robben is probably not going to play in the first leg?
askabob91
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby Element » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:35 pm

askabob91 wrote:Thanks, any updates now that Robben is probably not going to play in the first leg?

YOU WISH :wink:
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Return to General Bayern Discussion