You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn or Maier?

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Who is the better keeper?

Oliver Kahn
54%
Sepp Maier
46%

Total votes : 13

Kahn or Maier?

Postby brickwall281 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:11 am

Hi guys. Thought of making this thread to decide the all-time best keeper of FC Bayern. Poll is included so answer that before you comment (if you comment). lol now I just sound like a teacher :)
:pep: Gooby Pls :pep:
brickwall281
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iraq
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Kahn or Maier?

Postby MoFattal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 am

I'm curious. Who did you vote for? I'm pretty sure you watched neither in action.

EDIT: I voted Kahn.
Last edited by MoFattal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby BayernLove » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 am

Personally, I voted Maier, I know that because more people here have watched Kahn in action over Maier, and the fact that his amazing performances and leadership alike made some of you support Bayern, but Maier is a WC winner, something Kahn is not.
Both of them are amazing and played on a very high level, but that's just my opinion.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 am

BayernLove wrote:Maier is a WC winner, something Kahn is not.

Well yes, but look at the players they had surrounding them. Kahn took us to a WC final almost entirely by himself. And who knows what would've happened had he been playing against Italy in 2006?

I've only ever watched Kahn, but I find it hard to believe we could have had anyone better than him (especially considering his character as well), so Kahn it is for me.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:39 am

I've only watched footages of Maier, but defense at his time was something of an art. Teams used to have ruthless defenses, and hence goal-scoring opportunities were something of a privilege. In Kahn's days, defense went on a downward turmoil. It's become way easier for strikers to create goal-scoring chances, and hence the goalkeeper's role was of more importance. I think Kahn would edge it.

One can use the Messi-Maradona comparison as an example. Messi's been ripping defenses apart for fun, and been breaking record after record. However, Maradona almost did the same thing, but did so against way more better, ruthless, and solid defenses, and hence for now he might just edge Messi as the ever-best.
MoFattal

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby quaazi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am

I am going to stay far away from that poll because I'm not over 50 years old.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby BayernLove » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:23 pm

MoFattal wrote:I've only watched footages of Maier, but defense at his time was something of an art. Teams used to have ruthless defenses, and hence goal-scoring opportunities were something of a privilege. In Kahn's days, defense went on a downward turmoil. It's become way easier for strikers to create goal-scoring chances, and hence the goalkeeper's role was of more importance. I think Kahn would edge it.

One can use the Messi-Maradona comparison as an example. Messi's been ripping defenses apart for fun, and been breaking record after record. However, Maradona almost did the same thing, but did so against way more better, ruthless, and solid defenses, and hence for now he might just edge Messi as the ever-best.

Hmm, solid point, solid point.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby AssemFCB » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Also, Messi plays in Spain, where defense isn't an "art", unlike Maradona in Italy.
AssemFCB
I post all the time

National Flag:
Egypt

Postby RAJBAYERN » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 pm

DRAW.

Maier is the most succesfull GK in the history of bayern, but I think that this topic is about the better in techniques.

So, for me, technically Kahn was more complete GK, but my desicion still a draw, because Maier trained him and helped him to be perfect. Kahn learned from Meier. Draw !

Also, must consider that I have not seen before Meier as a player, but I have seen enough videos of him and other goods goalkeeper in the decade of 70,80,90,00 and I had conclude that the goalkeeper position has evolved considerably since the decade of 70 until today.

Previously, the goalkeepers were not more complete technically than a GK of this present, for two reasons:

1) In the 70s, GK did not have to play with the legs, so they did not have an obligation to develop skills of ball control and passing, unlike the GK in this present that are obligated to play with their legs, converting them in the most complete football player, because they can play with their hands and entire body including their legs.

2) Another thing to consider and more important, the physics of the players have developed since the the 70s until today, so actually, players are more faster and stronger, not necessarily better in their skills, but are more faster and resistant because they have better muscle, consequently comparing the body of Maier and Kahn, Kahn physics was better.

Both have good reactions, but the impulse of Kahn for saves was more faster and can displace more centimeters than Maier, because his strenght, reason of why I consider Kahn technically better.

But, remember that Maier trained him. DRAW, BOTH PERFECTS GK!
Super-Bayern! Super-Bayern! Hey! Hey!

DANKE JUPP!
RAJBAYERN
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Element » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I was not around when Maier played and there are not many clips or videos (well at least not as much as Maradona or Zidane ...) to judge from

However, i became a big football fan while Kahn was at his best and all i can say is that Kahn of 2001-2003 was the best Goalkeeper all time and no need to watch others because there is nothing you can add

He was Perfect in everything related to goalkeeping and on top of that he was a fighter and a leader with a strong character

And Kahn in world cup 2002 was better than 10 chelsea parking buses !!!

He saved the a$$es of the germans in every match that tournament except vs KSA

The german NT was really hopeless that year and even with the lost final, everyone was happy and celebrated because this team was not really supposed to get there

A true Goalkeeping icon
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby MoFattal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Element wrote:I was not around when Maier played and there are not many clips or videos (well at least not as much as Maradona or Zidane ...)

Dude, you made Zidane look woefully old with this sentence :P
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Element » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:53 pm

MoFattal wrote:
Element wrote:I was not around when Maier played and there are not many clips or videos (well at least not as much as Maradona or Zidane ...)

Dude, you made Zidane look woefully old with this sentence :P

Noticed that yes :P

But for a guy like Bayernlove it makes no difference :wink:
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCB general » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Sepp Maier. Our product and one of the 3 players who built this Bayern after we started in Bundesliga, fantastic GK. But Kahn is the same as Maier although his part in Bayern and Elf success was not so big as Maier's.

Can't forget to mention that well-known axle Maier - Beckenbauer - Müller.

I both like them, after all... Who has the credit for the success of Oliver Kahn? Neither more nor less than Sepp Maier.

We just can't compare them two when they both had charisma and were born leaders and winners. True legends and WC GKs, each in their time.

Maier was our GK coach for more than a decade, just like in Germany squad.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Element wrote:But for a guy like Bayernlove it makes no difference

Yeah BayernLove missed a number of modern legends, like Lell. :mrgreen:
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm

One needs to remember that in those days football boots and footballs themselves, along with inferior training methods meant that shots used to be less powerful than in modern times. Nowadays, it is much more difficult for a goalkeeper because balls travel faster in the air.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Next

Return to General Bayern Discussion