You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn or Maier?

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Who is the better keeper?

Oliver Kahn
54%
Sepp Maier
46%

Total votes : 13

Re: Kahn or Maier?

Postby brickwall281 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

I voted Maier. Seen videos of both in action, and I have to say Maier it is. Besides, as nearly everyone said, he was the key to Kahn's success. Both were great keepers in their time. I sure hope Neuer becomes like that in the future!
:pep: Gooby Pls :pep:
brickwall281
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iraq
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Robb3449 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 am

I went with Kahn purely because I saw him in action a lot more. I've seen some videos of Maier and know his history(somewhat) but, for me it's just a personal choice. Probably not fair to either to compare.
Reggie Jackson (of the 1977 NY Yankees) when asked, "What's the biggest thing you've noticed (about the team) since being injured?" " The magnitude of ME!"
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby KAHN » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 am

Kahn is my favorite player and I watch him live since his early days in Karlsruhe. On the other hand I didn't had opportunity to watch Maier in action. I saw a lot of footages of Maier but still I don't think it would be fair to judge him solely on that. Also like it was already sad, football in 70s as well as training methods and medicine were very different then they are now. It is just not fair to compare them. They are both legends of there time and part of two most successful eras of FC Bayern. So...I won't vote. :D
"You are here for a good time ... Not a long time"
Colin McRae
Rally legend
R.I.P
5/8/1968-15/9/2007
KAHN
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 am

The question is, will Neuer ever be included in this question?
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:The question is, will Neuer ever be included in this question?

If Olic and Schweinsteiger scored against Chelsea, he would have already reached such legendary status IMO. I will never forget him taking the shootout penalty. I don't think Kahn or Maier would have had the balls for that.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

MUTU wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:The question is, will Neuer ever be included in this question?

If Olic and Schweinsteiger scored against Chelsea, he would have already reached such legendary status IMO. I will never forget him taking the shootout penalty. I don't think Kahn or Maier would have had the balls for that.

I agree especially because he would have played a big part in winning the cup, with shootouts against Chelsea and Madrid.

Like you it was taking that penalty which really won my heart, and then being the 11th outfield player against Italy. This is what makes him special, I think. In terms of goalkeeping ability I don't think he is at Kahn's level or even Casillas, at least not yet. Certainly he is much better than he was 2-3 years ago though.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby BayernLove » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm

MUTU wrote:

I don't think Kahn (...) would have had the balls for that.

http://youtu.be/1lRIQGU2RRk?t=28s
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCB general » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14 pm

We will see... It's too early and also the fact that he almost every match doesn't have too much problems, it's little doubtful. However, I believe he will be there, but he simply must improve some things in his game, the first of all reaction during corners and set pieces. Sometimes he looks like a novice with his wrong evaluations.

But in the last season he has shown in one CL match at Allianz Arena(I think it was Marseille) fantastic performace, reactions, reflexes, really true class.

Games like Augsburg, Marseille and other games in the last season showed why he belongs to the top 3 GKs of the world.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCB general » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

MUTU wrote:If Olic and Schweinsteiger scored against Chelsea, he would have already reached such legendary status IMO. I will never forget him taking the shootout penalty. I don't think Kahn or Maier would have had the balls for that.

You can't look like that. Neuer did that just because one 'captain' like Schweinsteiger didn't want to watch penalties. I don't see why Kroos didn't shoot, the same question to many other FIELD players. I can't deny it was really exciting to see Neuer scoring the penalty, but... You simply can't let your GK to shoot the penalty before your players.

Kahn always had balls, even to hit his own teammate.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCB general » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Speaking of Kahn...

:D
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:29 pm

FCB general wrote:I don't see why Kroos didn't shoot, the same question to many other FIELD players.

He had missed against Madrid though.

In my eyes Tymo is the one who should be blamed most. He has the experience, he had a fantastic night, he even was a captain in his career. However all this would not have mattered had Ribery and Muller still been on the pitch, and for all we know we might have lost anyway.

Looking back at 2001 we really could have used Kahn that night though. :wink:
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Looking back at 2001 we really could have used Kahn that night though. :wink:

Penalty shooters, too. It's shameful that they did not want to shoot in front of our public, on our stadium, in their own country... Their heads were broke, fear instead of euphoria, bravery...

I don't know why am I talking about this. I don't want to talk about 19.5.2012. anymore.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby quaazi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 pm

MUTU wrote:If Olic and Schweinsteiger scored against Chelsea, he would have already reached such legendary status IMO. I will never forget him taking the shootout penalty. I don't think Kahn or Maier would have had the balls for that.

They never had the opportunity to prove it because they had 10 other players that would kill to take the penalties themselves.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby RAJBAYERN » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm

MUTU wrote:

Totally agree that Neuer will be consider a legendary player, if bayern would win that champions league, but he didnt safe us that night as Kahn did in 2001.

Schweini and Olic missed, ok. But what about the missed of Paulo Sergio and Andersson against Valencia?. It was not enough for Kahn to safe 1 shootout, he needed at least 3 and he did it.

Neuer was amazing in Santiago Bernabeu, but Kahn was great too in 2001 at Santiago Bernabeu, saving all the goals attempts of Real Madrid. Both goalkeepers was the most important players in semifinals for reach to the final, but finally Kahn had a little more determination than Neuer to win that champions league.

At least, Neuer had a long career in bayern, so I hope to consider him as part of the all stars bayern squad in the future.
Super-Bayern! Super-Bayern! Hey! Hey!

DANKE JUPP!
RAJBAYERN
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Element » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 pm

RAJBAYERN wrote:
MUTU wrote:

Totally agree that Neuer will be consider a legendary player, if bayern would win that champions league, but he didnt safe us that night as Kahn did in 2001.

Schweini and Olic missed, ok. But what about the missed of Paulo Sergio and Andersson against Valencia?. It was not enough for Kahn to safe 1 shootout, he needed at least 3 and he did it.

Neuer was amazing in Santiago Bernabeu, but Kahn was great too in 2001 at Santiago Bernabeu, saving all the goals attempts of Real Madrid. Both goalkeepers was the most important players in semifinals for reach to the final, but finally Kahn had a little more determination than Neuer to win that champions league.

At least, Neuer had a long career in bayern, so I hope to consider him as part of the all stars bayern squad in the future.

I kinda agree but i have some points

1-This has nothing to do with determination because every football player wants to win the CL

2-Luck plays its role penalties whether you are the taker or the Goalie

3-Neuer saved Mata shot, and a goalkeeper doing good in regular time and saving 1 PK in the shootout is considered very very good goalkeeping and adding to that he scored one PK

4-Kahn in 2001 was not only in the form of his life,Kahn was on top of the goalkeeping mountain (he did miracles the following year in world cup) while neuer is much younger and still not 100% finished with his development

5-of course had bayern won,Neuers save would have been rated much higher and the penalty he scored who have been rated as one of the top 10 greatest moments in history of Bayern
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion