You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FC Bayern Finances

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Rummenigge calls for doubling of TV revenues

Postby MUTU » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Berlin (dpa) - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has once again called for the Football League to earn significantly higher TV revenue. "Our goal must be that the TV revenue will be doubled in the medium term," said the chairman of Bayern Munich.

It could not be that "taking the Italians as an example, who we have just overtaken in the UEFA rankings, they earn more than twice as much as we do," Rummenigge said in an interview with the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sunday newspaper. "The demand of the Bundesliga at the DFL can only be: Everyone needs to earn more, all 36 clubs, first and second division."

Currently, the professional clubs in the highest two German leagues, according to Rummenigge cash in about 420 million euro, whilst Italy had almost a billion in TV revenue. The TV money would "be raised with extreme creativity," he said.

In light of the new "financial fair play" rules of UEFA Rummenigge claimed the German Football League (DFL) should make a change in their licensing process. The DFL grants the license with proof of sufficient liquidity in a club, the game license of the European Football Union in the future will be based on "breaking even": It must not be taken as a given. "It is a profound change, that the Bundesliga clubs now have to take into calculation," Rummenigge said in the interview.

The German record champions' CEO sees no problems. "We find that Arsenal are the only top club in Europe that has posted profit in recent years. Bayern Munich did not have to adjust" said Rummenigge.

MUTU Translation from: http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1100220
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: FC Bayern Finances

Postby sch0ll7 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:18 pm

We should at least get 30 mil € more than we curently get from DFL [around 28-30 mil € if you win the BL]...that amount must double up.

If we somehow manage to do that BL will be the strongest league in the coming years.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby MUTU » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 pm

My idea is that by default every country in the world would have all Bundesliga and German Cup matches on free-to-air, BUT if one company makes an approach to get exclusive rights (with a contract to share the content with other broadcasting companies within that country), even if it is a €1 bid, it gets accepted. Kind of an auction but if nobody in that country wants exclusive rights, then they can broadcast it for free. This would make the Bundesliga the most popular (as in availability) football league in the world.

How can the Bundesliga be popular when it is so hard to be able to watch it? In my country (Malta), I am not aware of any 100% legal way to watch ANY German Cup match on TV, and as regards Bundesliga you're limited to 2 every matchday, which generally includes Bayern but not always (eg the last match vs Kaiserslautern was not broadcast). You have to delve into grey areas of the law to be able to watch Bayern. With respect to users from other continents, we're talking about a country in Europe, where football is extremely popular and people afford to pay for premium TV services.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

I think that SKY Deutschland should exclusively broadcast the BL games in Germany. While in other countries it should be sold to the highest bidder.

Football is the most important thing in Germany...I would go so far and say that Germans are more into football than Italians or English.
So if you look at the potential subscribers in Germany than you come to the conclusion that BL would probably sell their rights to the SKY for much more money than Premier League and Serie A do.

Population in top 5 leagues:

Germany 82,217,800
France 63,601,002
United Kingdom 60,587,000
Italy 59,715,625
Spain 46,777,373

So if you look at it and use your logic it is a fact that the BL should earn more money for selling their rights [Within their country and not overseas] than any other top league in Europe.

German economy is the strongest in Europe so it is logical to think that in Germany people will subscribe to SKY more than any other country in Europe.

So when you think about it....

Germans earn more money than Italians etc...
There are 20 million more potential subscribers than in England, Italy, France ...
Germans are probably more into football than other European nations.

And other thing is...

Tickets in BL are the cheapest in Europe so fans probably wouldnt argue too much if they had to pay 20-30 € / month to subscribe to SKY and watch the games + all other features like Movies etc...

I am positive that if BL were to sell broadcasting rights for Germany [not overseas rights] would get at least 1bn € per year.
And it would probably get even higher when SKY sees that they got much more subscribers [probably 20x more than now].

So if SKY gets 20€ / month from 1 user that is 240€ per year. and if they get at least 5 million subscribers that would be more than 1.2 bn € per year.
And I used low figures ...Subscribtion would probably be higher and there would probably be more subscribers because 5 mil is less than 10% of the total population.

So there would be no problem with the financing SKY and vice-versa.

But the problem is with DFB and they are acting like they dont want BL to be the best league in the world and if you want to be that you need the money.
sch0ll7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby eddinanM3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 pm

I have to agree that the Bundesliga is way behind the eight ball in the TV broadcasting/revenue aspect. The EPL and La Liga are killing the Bundesliga in TV revenue right now and it can not go on the way that is is much longer. The DFB have to come up with a way of marketing the League better for exposure across the globe and TV broadcasting rights and revenue is the conerstone of that.

Easier access to broadcasts in major markets around the globe will certainly broaden the horizon of the Bundesliga and generate more revenue for the teams of the Bundesliga which has to be the goal of the DFB!
eddinanM3
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Koma » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:15 am

Players... That is the main reason why all those Leagues have higher revenue from TV, more people watch it because better and more famous names play in Premier League and La Liga. Even tho' Bundesliga is on of the best organised competitions in football, nothing will change unless more famous players start to come.
Bayern Team for the Champions League trophy -
http://www.footballuser.com/formations/ ... unchen.jpg
Koma
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby nur4bayern » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:26 am

Koma wrote:Players... That is the main reason why all those Leagues have higher revenue from TV, more people watch it because better and more famous names play in Premier League and La Liga. Even tho' Bundesliga is on of the best organised competitions in football, nothing will change unless more famous players start to come.

Agreed.

On one hand the Bundesliga is a springboard for young talent to "move up" to La Liga or the EPL and on the other hand Bundesliga teams either can't afford or don't want to go into massive debt to get big name players. The entire BL would have to change its corporate culture to even consider playing with the "big boys" in order to match the other big leagues euro for euro. Germans aren't stupid with their money so no one should be surprised the BL acts the way it does. They'd rather be prudent and financially sound, sell out stadiums and get reasonable tv revenue than be spending whores like teams from La Liga, mainly RM, and the EPL, mainly Chelski.
“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.”
nur4bayern
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby hgb09 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

nur4bayern wrote:
Koma wrote:Players... That is the main reason why all those Leagues have higher revenue from TV, more people watch it because better and more famous names play in Premier League and La Liga. Even tho' Bundesliga is on of the best organised competitions in football, nothing will change unless more famous players start to come.

Agreed.

On one hand the Bundesliga is a springboard for young talent to "move up" to La Liga or the EPL and on the other hand Bundesliga teams either can't afford or don't want to go into massive debt to get big name players. The entire BL would have to change its corporate culture to even consider playing with the "big boys" in order to match the other big leagues euro for euro. Germans aren't stupid with their money so no one should be surprised the BL acts the way it does. They'd rather be prudent and financially sound, sell out stadiums and get reasonable tv revenue than be spending whores like teams from La Liga, mainly RM, and the EPL, mainly Chelski.

U forgot Man City :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hgb09
2014/15 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 am

U are not seeing it right...

BL dont even need to look for markets outside the Germany.

Serie-A, La Liga, EPL and even French league get most of their money from right in their own country.

It has nothing to do with global recognition.

BL could earn more money than any of the top leagues mentioned...because Germany has the biggest population and is the richest economy in Europe.

It can easly get 1.2 bn € and even more...the only thing that makes that hard to happen is FREE TO AIR Channels.

I think that SKY would agree for paying 3x more money than they are paying us now for the rights if they could exclusively broadcast every BL game and would not need to share it with FREE TO AIR Channels. Just like they do it in England and Italy
sch0ll7

Postby nur4bayern » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm

hgb09 wrote:
nur4bayern wrote:

Agreed.

U forgot Man City :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I stand corrected.
“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.”
nur4bayern
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby dambun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 am

nur4bayern wrote:

Agreed.

It's true that big names/stars are one reason for EPL or La Liga to receive more money from TV broadcasting.... But how do you guys rationalize the fact that even French teams are earning much more from TV rights??? ... They are a lower league and they definitely have less big names...

sch0ll7 wrote:BL could earn more money than any of the top leagues mentioned...because Germany has the biggest population and is the richest economy in Europe.
It can easly get 1.2 bn € and even more...the only thing that makes that hard to happen is FREE TO AIR Channels.
I think that SKY would agree for paying 3x more money than they are paying us now for the rights if they could exclusively broadcast every BL game and would not need to share it with FREE TO AIR Channels. Just like they do it in England and Italy

Completely agreed... This is the main reason BL is so much behind the others in financial terms, IMO....
Even programs like Sportschau, that broadcast the summary of the league matches only a couple of hours after the games, make it much less desirable for Sky or any other TV company to pay good money for the games....
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Postby eddinanM3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:27 am

Very true that the free to air channels take away a lot of the incentive for a better TV rights package for the Bundesliga in Germany, but what about abroad in North America, South America, Austrailia and the Far East?
eddinanM3
I post all the time

Postby The Spyware » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:47 pm

What's the free on air channels that broadcast the Bundesliga in Germany Scholl ? I read before this :
Sky holds the rights to broadcast both all first and second division matches on a pay television basis. Deutsche Telekom holds the IPTV rights. Only four matches – the season opener, the first match after the winter break, and both legs of the relegation playoff – are broadcast on free television, on ARD.
The Spyware
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Egypt

Postby sch0ll7 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 pm

The Spyware wrote:What's the free on air channels that broadcast the Bundesliga in Germany Scholl ? I read before this :
Sky holds the rights to broadcast both all first and second division matches on a pay television basis. Deutsche Telekom holds the IPTV rights. Only four matches – the season opener, the first match after the winter break, and both legs of the relegation playoff – are broadcast on free television, on ARD.

You are right SKY holds the rights to broadcast BL matches live and Deutsche Telekom holds the IPTV rights...
SKY has around 2.5 million subscribers while Deutsche Telekom has around 1.3 million.

I was not saying it right...

The problem is that in Germany there are a lot of free to air channels...Like ARD, ZDF, DSF, SAT1, RTL, RTL2, VOX etc...and SKY Deutschland is offering packages which contains BL matches + movies + other pay channels. And all of those free to air channels have a lot of new movies, series and interesting shows.
And the problem is that there are too many free to air channels and that means people in Germany just dont want to pay extra money to watch few extra channels that SKY is offering [HBO,Showtime etc..] when they have a lot of great movies, series, BL highlights in those free to air channels I mentioned before.
While in England there are only few [I think only 4] free to air channels [that are nothing special] where you can watch free movies, series, news etc...so people tend to pay for extra channels that SKY are offering to watch new movies, series etc...

And another problem is that in Germany owners of pubs and caffes that have SKY subscription dont pay as much as in England [let's say 10.000 pounds/year]. I think that their subscription costs are the same as for some person that has it at their home.
So people that want to watch BL games just go to the nearest bar/pub and get a drink while they are watching the game for free instead of paying for SKY subscription to watch the game at their home.

It is really complicated...even I dont understand it entirely :)

I think the best way for SKY to get some subscribers would be to offer just BL in the package for cheaper price because people have all the movies, series, shows that they want on free to air channels.
sch0ll7

Postby The Spyware » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 pm

aha That's so complicated as you said but yet so logical ,thanks for these info
The Spyware
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Egypt

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion