You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Chockers, (lack of) winning mentality and future captain

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: Chockers, (lack of) winning mentality and future captain

Postby Bayernbazi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am

Don't know if someone already posted this article elsewhere but I think the 3 points raised in this article make very sense and are very valid

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/30/3210206/honigstein-mr-nice-guy-low-must-be-ruthless-to-save-germanys

In short here are the points;

i) Twice now, Low has made that mistake in key semi-finals. Against Spain in 2010, the team lined up in an incredibly deep, almost Hodgsonesque 4-4-1-1. It was counterattacking taken to an illogical extreme. Without the ball, Germany stopped attacking altogether. Despite plenty of robust statements to the contrary - 'we won’t change our style' - Loew repeated the error against Italy, by essentially going for like-for-like in midfield. You can call it over-thinking or fear, but the upshot is the same. It becomes a problem when you adapt so much that you cease being yourself in the process.

ii) A distinct lack of winning mentality is a second charge levelled at this side. The genesis of this theory goes back to the final loss against Spain in 2008, after which Jens Lehmann said that he’d felt some players had been "too pleased to have made the final to win it". Maybe one or two have indeed become too comfortable in that spot? Toni Kroos, to name perhaps the most extreme example, always seems strangely unperturbed by the actual results in the games he features in. [and the guy is the one actually commeting that they played well against italy]
Unlike the ultra-driven egotists from the Matthaus generation, Lahm and Co seem as if they can never quite convince themselves that football is 'do or die', that 'winning is more important than anything else'.

iii) Low, like his team, needs to become a lot more ruthless. He’s a man who shuns open conflict and values harmony. Podolski, you sense, was placated for the Greece game with a start against Italy whereas Reus would have been the much better option. Schweinsteiger’s form, too, should have been evaluated more objectively. If Low makes good on his threat to leave his post after the 2014 World Cup, he must leave 'The Nice Mr Jogi' behind and become a lot more cool and calculated in his dealings with the players.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby michel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm

I think that in the whole team, Manuel Neuer has the biggest balls.

Don't get me wrong. I like Philipp Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger, but both had their moments of nervousness under pressure. Lahm couldn't kick a decent penalty in the shootout against Real Madrid. Schweini was a wreck when he had his PK against Chelsea.

Meanwhile, what did Neuer do? He saved the day against Madrid. He fought to the finish against Chelsea, scoring his own PK. He led the national team in an attempt to surprise the Italians late in the semi-final at the Euro.

That's fearless leadership. That's what FC Bayern needs.
Publisher of Bayern Central
michel
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby quaazi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm

It's kinda the elephant in the room. We have a leader in the team... a man who played for Schalke 371 days ago...
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby vijay92 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Neuer is the only guy with proper leadership material in this squad. Ironically The ultras don't want him. Imagine neuer became captain what rubbish the ultra would do against him
vijay92
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCB general » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:26 pm

vijay92 wrote:Neuer is the only guy with proper leadership material in this squad. Ironically The ultras don't want him. Imagine neuer became captain what rubbish the ultra would do against him

Yeah, so we should not expect Neuer in closer future as a captain. It's been only one season behind him and it's neccessary to wait to pass many seasons to see this possibility.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 am

Exactly. It's too early to put Neuer as captain.

Bayern will 99% stick with Lahm and Schweini, but I think at the moment Gomez and Ribery could make good captains. The problem with Ribery is that he causes a little disquiet every now and then.

In the future, I can see Alaba or Muller leading the team.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby vijay92 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 am

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/matth ... .bild.html

Interesting article about how many bayern players have the sammer attitude ( who hates loosing at all cost). Neuer was the highest with 90% similarity and tymothuk the lowest with 5%.
lahm was given 80% because he is very professional and schweinsteiger 45% for being good strategist but not a fighter.
vijay92
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby raz25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I guess the team should have a vote for the captain position. I don't care if Lahm will feel offended, he's been a terrible captain.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby brickwall281 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 pm

He is kind of bad, but I wouldn't say terrible. I think that Neuer should wear the armband, or Badstuber, problem is that both are quite young and not experienced enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
:pep: Gooby Pls :pep:
brickwall281
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iraq
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby BayernLove » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 am

brickwall281 wrote:He is kind of bad, but I wouldn't say terrible. I think that Neuer should wear the armband, or Badstuber, problem is that both are quite young and not experienced enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Neuer is 26, I wouldn't say that is "too young". Just about right I'd say!
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby quaazi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 am

He isn't, but the ultras hate him and he's been around for one mere year. Maybe if Hoeness decided to call it quits he would do it as a "**** you". :P
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby BayernLove » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:19 pm

quaazi wrote:He isn't, but the ultras hate him and he's been around for one mere year. Maybe if Hoeness decided to call it quits he would do it as a "**** you". :P

If you say Hoeneß and quit again in the same sentence again I will hunt you and your family down :twisted: :twisted:
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Previous

Return to General Bayern Discussion