You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern Munich Season Preview 2010-11

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Bayern Munich Season Preview 2010-11

Postby sch0ll7 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Great read... and I totally agree with it.

Bayern came extremely close to a treble in 2010. A bitter loss in the Champions League final to Inter Milan ended their treble hunt.However, they still managed to win both the Bundesliga and German Cup in style.

Bayern's one weakness was heavily exposed in the Champions League final. They were incredibly close to being knocked out in every stage of the competition bar the semis leading to the final. Bordeaux exposed their defence badly by putting four past them in two games in the group stages. Bayern hadn't exactly settled down under a new coach then though. In Tuscany and Manchester, Bayern conceded three times but survived due to their ability to score goals. In the final, up against Jose Mourinho's tactics as well as due to Franck Ribery's suspension, Bayern's offence was shut down. Inter exploited the defence and duly won 2-0.

Bayern's biggest success was their attack. They scored plenty of goals in all competitions. Arjen Robben helped himself to 23 goals, Ivica Olic scored 19 while Mario Gomez and Thomas Mueller also went into double figures. Off the pitch, there was plenty of success too with Mark Van Bommel, Hamit Altintop, Thomas Mueller, Holger Badstuber and Franck Ribery extending their contracts.

Now, it's time to look forward to a new season.

The squad has hardly changed. Five players have been added to the roster. Andreas Ottl and Breno have returned following loan spells at Nuremberg., Toni Kroos has returned after a year away at Leverkusen, Jose Sosa has returned after completing a loan spell at Estudiantes and Maximilian Haas has been promoted to the senior squad from the reserves. Andreas Goerlitz and Christian Lell have both left the club whilst Michael Rensing is no longer a part of the squad. A sixth name added to the squad is Rouven Sattelmeier who will be in goal if Hans Jorg Butt and Thomas Kraft are unavailable.

The current squad looks like this:

Goalkeepers: Hans- Jorg Butt, Thomas Kraft, Rouven Sattelmeier.

Defenders: Maximilan Haas, Philipp Lahm, Martin Demichelis, Daniel Van Buyten, Holger Badstuber, Diego Contento, Breno Borges, Edson Braafheid.

Midfielders: Hamit Altintop, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Mark Van Bommel, Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery, Toni Kroos, Daniel Pranjic, Jose Sosa, David Alaba, Andreas Ottl, Anatoliy Tymoschuk.

Forwards: Miroslav Klose, Mario Gomez, Ivica Olic, Thomas Mueller.

The addition of Kroos gives coach Louis Van Gaal a serious headache regarding his midfield. In the two important matches of pre-season (the Super Cup win against Schalke and the German Cup first round win againt Windeck), Van Gaal employed a 4-5-1 formation in which Miroslav Klose was the main striker. Van Gaal will perhaps employ that formation for most of the season. Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mark Van Bommel will be two fixtures in defensive midfield. Andreas Ottl, Daniel Pranjic, Hamit Altintop and Anatoliy Tymoschuk can always deputise for them, if they happen to be injured.

Franck Ribery will be bombing up and down the left wing. With Arjen Robben's injury, a spot on the right wing has opened up. Thomas Mueller played there against Windeck and Ivica Olic played there against Schalke. Van Gaal employs another midfielder behind the lone striker. Against Schalke he used Mueller and against Windeck, he used Toni Kroos. Mueller had a great game; Kroos gave an average performance. With Arjen Robben and Ivica Olic both absent for a while, Van Gaal will perhaps play Mueller, Kroos and Ribery behind the striker.

As far as the defence is concerned, Contento and Lahm will play on the wings and Holger Badstuber will occupy one spot in central defence. The other spot is up for grabs- Van Buyten and Demichelis will fight for it until Breno returns in December. As far as the formation is concerned, it is very unlikely that Van Gaal will switch to a 4-4-2 due to the number of talented and experienced midfielders at the club. With Robben's return, Mueller and Kroos might have to fight out for one spot as Van Gaal has said before. If Kroos wins the battle, Mueller can still play as the lone striker depending on Klose, Gomez and Olic's forms.

As far as expectations are concerned, Bayern are the side that hardly anybody bets against in the Bundesliga.They are expected to win the league as well as the German Cup and do well in the Champions League by the fans. As far as the club is concerned, expectations will be the Bundesliga title and a semifinal berth in the Champions League. The Pokal is the competition that Van Gaal will want to win but will perhaps not play his regulars in some rounds.

As far as my expectations are concerned, I do see Bayern winning the Bundesliga. It will be tougher this time around as Wolfsburg, Hamburg, Leverkusen and Dortmund will return stronger than the previous seasons. However, Bayern have their best squad compared to their past five seasons. With or without Arjen Robben, Bayern can win it and perhaps will win it. As far as the Champions League is concerned, provided that Bayern don't bump into Real Madrid or Barcelona early, they can go through to the semis. A favourable draw could see them progress further. The Cup is for the fun of the fans- and hopefully, Bayern will retain it.

However, at the moment, Bayern have to take everything step by step. As Thomas Mueller's motto goes: "Even the longest journey begins with a single step"
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Bayern Munich Season Preview 2010-11

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:20 pm

sch0ll7 wrote: If Kroos wins the battle, Mueller can still play as the lone striker depending on Klose, Gomez and Olic's forms.

And if Kroos wins the battle and Olic is in a great form?? Because last season Olic was playing great and Müller benched him for some games. I think that Müller will play as starter even if Olic is Bundesliga top goalscorer
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: Bayern Munich Season Preview 2010-11

Postby sarahjoe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:05 pm

And if Kroos wins the battle and Olic is in a great form??
You can try out our 156-315.75 - free dumps and latest 700-038 - testking - braindumps.com to get high flying success in final rasmussen and www.loyola.edu
sarahjoe
First post

Years of membershipYears of membership

Return to General Bayern Discussion