You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern Munich accused of turning blind eye to human rights

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: Bayern Munich accused of turning blind eye to human righ

Postby pyrasur » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:56 am

In this instance I'm not opposed to Bayern visiting Saudi Arabia to play a friendly. It's frustrating to me the double standard of others willing to do business with Saudi Arabia, use its oil to drive their cars around in, sell tanks to them, but Bayern visit to play a FOOTBALL MATCH and get slammed for it? Sure Bayern was there for cold reasons such as expanding their market, but there are also good reasons to entertain the fans of FC Bayern München who live in Saudi Arabia. Bayern choosing not to visit would change nothing about the conditions there, and Bayern coming does not condone the issues.

There are many factors to be considered. So many times Western countries are accused of trying to interfere other countries' internal issues, trying to impose Western culture on a civilization with completely different morals. Only to be accused of being willing to ignore rights violations in order to do business. And then there's another double standard: visit one country but not another? Not like everything is rosy in the United States, we have plenty of issues (Ferguson, Missouri for example regardless of how you feel there is an issue there). Bayern can visit here but not Saudi Arabia?

But I agree with RQ, it's important that the club be conscientious in what they do. The club cannot hide behind politicians, saying if Germany is willing to sell tanks to Saudi Arabia then it's ok to go there. Befehl ist Befehl? No orders here, but the principle remains.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby runaway » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 am

Another example of people overrating the impact of sports. If these politicians can't even do anything to make things better, are they expecting a football club to do it? I'm not sure did Bayern play against slave workers? If we did, then sure we ignored the violation of human rights.

The whole footballing community is violating human rights by the virtue of Qatar 2022 will still push through. In this case, these football clubs and players have a major influence to take the issue centerstage and force people to talk about it. But will they? Of course not in a lot of ways, they're also 'slaves' of Qatari money.

via Tapatalk
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby sterndessudens » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:30 am

There's so many different opinions on human rights and football- kids getting publicly executed by ISIL for watching Iraq's win in the Asian Cup the other day and many other unreported cases. Remember that these football clubs are businesses and their purpose to travel to these countries are already organised around 2-3 years via a bidding process from the cities to the sponsors (like Audi and Gazprom sponsored Schalke and Zenit and Bayern to Doha).

Sport and politics are different things. Whether your country's leaders or my country's leaders does something about organisations like Donetsk People's republic/ISIL/Al Qaeda/Boko Haram, its up to them to combat these organisations via their own methods and so far, its not really working that well (everyone in Nigeria isn't willing to fight against Boko Haram and ISIL is winning city by city again). But, we as foreigners when entering other countries should abide and respect by the countries' laws. The players are just there to do their jobs, not to cause political things to happen.

UEFA has done something at least- Ukrainian teams cannot play against Russian teams, while Donbass Arena games have been relocated (which should've been the stadium that Bayern would've played on as its a great architectural stadium but its been destroyed in the war).
FC Bayern, Stern des Südens, du wirst niemals untergehn...

Mehmet Scholl once offered a mixtape CD to Oliver Kahn. Kahn replied: Do you want me to shoot myself? Keep your crap to yourself.
sterndessudens
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Australia

Postby MillaMjau » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Statement from KHR:

http://www.fcbayern.de/en/news/news/2015/statement-karl-heinz-rummenigge-210115.php

Edit: changed the link to the English one
Das Runde muss ins Eckige!
MillaMjau
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Finland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

I want to see Bayern play against North Korea in North Korea in the biggest stadium in the world, broadcasted live.

Sent from Neo N003
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby theundead » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 pm

The US is the biggest violator of human rights in the World right now. The destruction the US has caused, the innocent lives it has taken on its numerous war fronts is miles ahead of all the other nations combined together and yet our friendly against the MLS all stars was accepted everywhere.

This is just media BS. nothing to see here.
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby JANCKER » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm

They're better than what 'the market' has to offer, trust me...
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 pm

MaCk0y wrote:I want to see Bayern play against North Korea in North Korea in the biggest stadium in the world, broadcasted live.

Sent from Neo N003

I don't care how horrible this is.

Spoiler: show
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANCKER » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:42 pm

^ :lol:

'Be careful what you wish for'...
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby pyrasur » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:42 pm

theundead wrote:The US is the biggest violator of human rights in the World right now. The destruction the US has caused, the innocent lives it has taken on its numerous war fronts is miles ahead of all the other nations combined together and yet our friendly against the MLS all stars was accepted everywhere.

Now I know what the Germans felt like in WWII, the whole time working for a country you know isn't perfect but never suspect is the worst violator of human rights :(
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MaCk0y » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:03 pm

So the King died and USA and some EU countries are sending their condolences to the Royal Family, praising them for keeping peace and stating what a great relationship they have with Saudi Arabia. Nobody mentioned human rights violations.

Sent from Neo N003
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JANCKER » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:52 pm

pyrasur wrote:
theundead wrote:The US is the biggest violator of human rights in the World right now. The destruction the US has caused, the innocent lives it has taken on its numerous war fronts is miles ahead of all the other nations combined together and yet our friendly against the MLS all stars was accepted everywhere.

Now I know what the Germans felt like in WWII, the whole time working for a country you know isn't perfect but never suspect is the worst violator of human rights :(

Imagine what would have been of Germany after WW2 without USA... under the Soviets. How was West Germany and East Germany? Two different worlds. They're the lesser evil...
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:04 pm

MaCk0y wrote:So the King died and USA and some EU countries are sending their condolences to the Royal Family, praising them for keeping peace and stating what a great relationship they have with Saudi Arabia. Nobody mentioned human rights violations.

Sent from Neo N003

From what I read on the BBC this king was more lenient than his predecessors and improved the rights situation. Not that there still aren't loads of violations of course.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Previous

Return to General Bayern Discussion