You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Advice: Visiting munich with family - going to Hamburg game

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Advice: Visiting munich with family - going to Hamburg game

Postby avery11 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this isn't the correct discussion group to post. My wife and I, and my two daughters (ages 10 and 12) are going to Germany for 10 days (March 29 - April 9). Seeing Bayern play is number 1 on my bucket list and going to the game is the sole impetus for this trip, and fortunately, my girls love Bayern as well!

There are a few things we would like to do while in Munich for 5 days:
1. We have tickets to the Hamburg game on Saturday
2. I'd like to visit the Sabener Strasse
3. We'd like to take a tour of the Allianz arena and the Bayern museum

I was looking for practical advice on any of the above items or any advice regarding Munich/Bavaria/Salzburg. We've never been out of the country so any advice you may have on anything is greatly appreciated! For instance, how can I find out the practice schedule for the Sabener Strasse?

We're off to Salzburg for two days then to Fussen for 2 days and then not sure...

(I've been a Bayern fan since I was a kid, and one of my daughters is named after Calle Del Haye, who I followed as a kid)

Thanks very much for all your help!!!
avery11
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Advice: Visiting munich with family - going to Hamburg g

Postby sch0ll7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm

avery11 wrote:Hi everyone,
I apologize if this isn't the correct discussion group to post. My wife and I, and my two daughters (ages 10 and 12) are going to Germany for 10 days (March 29 - April 9). Seeing Bayern play is number 1 on my bucket list and going to the game is the sole impetus for this trip, and fortunately, my girls love Bayern as well!

There are a few things we would like to do while in Munich for 5 days:
1. We have tickets to the Hamburg game on Saturday
2. I'd like to visit the Sabener Strasse
3. We'd like to take a tour of the Allianz arena and the Bayern museum

I was looking for practical advice on any of the above items or any advice regarding Munich/Bavaria/Salzburg. We've never been out of the country so any advice you may have on anything is greatly appreciated! For instance, how can I find out the practice schedule for the Sabener Strasse?

We're off to Salzburg for two days then to Fussen for 2 days and then not sure...

(I've been a Bayern fan since I was a kid, and one of my daughters is named after Calle Del Haye, who I followed as a kid)

Thanks very much for all your help!!!

you will have a blast:)

here you can check training schedule before you leave for the trip... http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/de/aktue ... /index.php

About Munich...it depends what you and your family prefer...I would definitely recomend you visiting olympic park, english garden [nice for family lunch during weekend] and the the weather should be fine...not that cold. Than old city center, Marienplatz...you should just walk around and take picture as it is beautiful.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby jrm13 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I second Olympic Park and the English Gardens! Marienplatz is also great, you and your kids will enjoy seeing the Glockenspiel (I loved it when I was there as a young one!). Also, if you're a WWII history buff like me, Dachau is about a 20 minute train ride + 15 minute bus ride from Munich and makes a very interesting day trip. Might be a little much for the kids, but I was there when I was 9, 11, and then again at 22, and I wasn't scarred for life or anything by being there so young. I know you asked for information about Bayern stuff, but I just figured I'd chime in with some other stuff to do. I'm so jealous of you, regardless what you choose to do you will have an amazing time! :D
jrm13
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Millie07 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm afraid I can't offer any help with the Bayern-centric part of the trip, or the Salzburg part either. But as an occasional lurker to the site, I felt like I could add my two cents to the rest of your query.

In terms of things to do/places to see in Bavaria, it depends on how willing you are to travel or spend money. I second the Dachau trip if you have the time and inclination. It's chilling, but I felt it was worth the trip when I went. A trip into the Alps is definitely very cool. I did both a hiking trip where we stayed the night at a hostel near the top and the castles tour. If you have the time and money, the castles day trip out of Munich is very nice, and children under 13 are free with a paying adult(one per adult). You go to Neuschwanstein(great views), Oberammergau(known for it's Passion Play), and Linderhof. I've also heard great things about Chiemsee and Königsee.

In addition to the Marienplatz suggestion, I'd say try to take a nice stroll down the whole shopping district street(which is pedestrian only) all the way from the Karlsplatz fountain to Marienplatz. There is plenty of shopping(chain stores and cute little shops), as well as historical churches, beer halls and the Altes and Neues Rathaus.

Hopefully the weather is nice for your trip. It really is a wonderful place to visit.
"The ball is round. The game lasts ninety minutes. This much is fact. Everything else is theory." - Sepp Herberger
Millie07
Getting the hang of it

Postby avery11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks to all for your helpful and interesting suggestions! One glitch I've become aware of recently is that the 5 days were in Munich 3 are holidays (Good Friday, Easter, Easter Monday). I'm hoping that won't have too much of an impact. Aside from the game one of the things most important to me was to visit the Sabener Strasse. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it's open on Monday, April 1st.

I wasn't planning on going to the Olympic park, but will definitely add it to the itinerary now! Not sure why that missed my radar!

Thanks again and hopefully I'll get some pics worth of sending to the forum...
avery11
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ScottBrown » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Good luck on trip!! Wish it was me :D
Scott Brown is the captain of Celtic, to prevent all you noobs to ask :D

NikolajFromDenmark here.
ScottBrown
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby jrm13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

I didn't even think about the Chiemsee - the Herrenchiemsee castle compound is beautiful, as is Neuschwanstein. If you hit Neuschwanstein make sure to take the hike to the bridge that overlooks the gorge and castle. It's a little bit of a walk but it's worth the view (as long as you're not scared of heights!). Oberammergau is really nice for that traditional medieval German town feeling. There's just too many great things in and around Munich!
jrm13
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby lau03143 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm going to Munich next week. It's a great city just to walk about.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: UPDATE: Visiting munich with family - going to Hamburg g

Postby avery11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm

FCB Ticketing had a mixup and only sent us two tickets, instead of four for the Hamburg game. I contacted them and they fixed the problem and sent us two more tickets (unfortunately not near the original section 305 tickets). But get this, the two tickets they sent are in section 120, row 10!!!! I'm speechless and can't believe how lucky we got! FCB said it was a lottery and we got lucky. I'm hoping I can get a hi-def copy of the game so my wife/kids and I might be able to catch a glimpse of us in our seats. I'll post a request on the Viewing thread.

Please understand I'm not bragging, I just can't believe how lucky we got, and this is the only place I could share the news and people would understand why I'm so excited!! One of my co-workers responded with "you'll be able to see the cheerleaders."
avery11
Getting the hang of it

Postby MoFattal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:49 pm

No bragging taken ;) In fact, most of us are happy that a fellow Bayern fan gets to see our players live. We expect some pics, though ;)
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Re: UPDATE: Visiting munich with family - going to Hamburg g

Postby tflags » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:27 pm

avery11 wrote:the two tickets they sent are in section 120, row 10!!!!

Say hello to Lahm. :P. Enjoy your trip.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Adam.eldefrawy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am

Hey, I will be in munich for just 1 day on a layover to Amsterdam, I really want to make it special and want to visit the Säbener Strasse, but i will be there May 14th and need to know all details as I also want to see Munich and do other stuff. so my questions are:

1. How should i go about doing all this? When will the training session be? i arrive at 6:00 and will be out of the airport by 7:30 but i need to be back at the airport by 19:30, should i see the city then go to the Säbener Strasse or the opposite? How far is it from the city and how far from the airport?

2. Is it worth it? How much will it cost (transport to Säbener Strasse) and do you need to buy tickets to see them train or do you just need to get past security?

3. Do you get to meet the players and get their autographs? I would love to get Robben's autograph he is my favorite!
Adam.eldefrawy
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby Adam.eldefrawy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

thanks a lot to anyone who replies :)
Adam.eldefrawy
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby tflags » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Adam.eldefrawy wrote:1. How should i go about doing all this? When will the training session be?

You can check their weekly schedule here. If you have ~12 hours that day you have more than enough time to visit SS as well as the Arena which is a much better experience IMO. Team training starts at 10 am. Their schedule is extremely irregular to say the least. Maybe a local can post some tips on which is the best days to go. I guess a Tuesday is a good day to visit, far from Saturday's match vs GladbacH if there are no changes to the current game calendar.

i arrive at 6:00 and will be out of the airport by 7:30 but i need to be back at the airport by 19:30, should i see the city then go to the Säbener Strasse or the opposite?

If you want autographs, I think you will have to spend the whole training session there and wait and see if they hand them out at the beginning or at the end of the session, if they do so that day.

How far is it from the city and how far from the airport?

Airport to city by car depends on traffic. By sub it takes around 40 mins to the city center. SS is about five stops from the Hauptbahnhof, look for Wettersteinplatz. If you are going to the AA, look for Frottmaning, ~13 stops.

2. Is it worth it? How much will it cost (transport to Säbener Strasse) and do you need to buy tickets to see them train or do you just need to get past security?

They don't charge anything to see the team train. If you go to the Allianz Arena, however, they charge you for the the museum and arena tour. You can find out all about it here. TBH, the Arena is a must. SS you will have to be lucky to get close to the players.

3. Do you get to meet the players and get their autographs? I would love to get Robben's autograph he is my favorite!

VERY difficult. If they score a goal-fest the match before, SS has been known to gather more than 4,000 visitors just to see them train. Then you will have to fight through three kinder-garden classes just to ask Bernie for an autograph. I don't know if it is worth it tbh but again, a local might provide more info. IMHO, visit the arena, do the tour and the museum, then go to Munich. Note there is an schedulle for English tours and they are closed on match-days.

Please post comments of your visit, photos if possible and if you don't mind introduce yourself in that thread. :P . Hope this helped.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Adam.eldefrawy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Thank you so much for that post :D lots of info.. I'm Dutch and have always loved Robben so I supported Bayern for Robben but i grew to love the whole team.. namely Kroos! I have been to AA for a match so it doesn't concern me to go there (AMAZING Experience by the way) but i just recently heard of Säbener Strasse that you could see the players and all that. For those that have been, is it boring and do you actually get autographs and see class training in action? I play football myself so i would love to see how the greats train, and when we make it to the UCL final (cross your fingers) they'll be training hard for that as it will be 2 weeks away.
Adam.eldefrawy
Hey, I'm new here!

Next

Return to General Bayern Discussion