You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-01-18] FC Salzburg vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the friendly matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:00 pm

FC Red Bull Salzburg will win
No votes
It will end in a draw
9%
Bayern Munich will win
91%

Total votes : 11

Re: [2014-01-18] FC Salzburg vs Bayern Munich

Postby Der Bomber » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Pep tried a 3 man back & tried to overload the midfield. Result, 3 goals conceded & none scored. Nice try, mission failed. Move on from there. Dante & Boateng are not used to this so it's pretty normal that they looked awful. Even Chiellini, Barzagli & Bonucci from Juve look awful & exposed at times and they are used to playing 3 in the back.
Der Bomber
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Firefox1234 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Der Bomber wrote:Pep tried a 3 man back & tried to overload the midfield. Result, 3 goals conceded & none scored. Nice try, mission failed. Move on from there. Dante & Boateng are not used to this so it's pretty normal that they looked awful. Even Chiellini, Barzagli & Bonucci from Juve look awful & exposed at times and they are used to playing 3 in the back.

That system isnt one that can be mastered in a short winter break so no surprise it was such a poor performance
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby jaybayern » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 pm

all i can say is we will get them next time
BAYERN TILL THE DEATH OF ME
jaybayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jamaica

Postby Badger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Well, that was a bit of a surprise! I watched the game live, and could hardly believe what was unfolding before my eyes. Like others, I was disappointed about the loss, but came away feeling that it was a good game to lose, and one that offered many lessons for the coming months.

I must give almost unstinting praise to Salzburg. They outplayed Bayern at times, in spite of Bayern’s superior possession; they defended well, leaving Bayern’s attack rather toothless; and they showed a level of hunger and engagement that Bayern themselves rarely produced this season. If I were to make one complaint, it would be that their engagement was occasionally too reckless for a friendly, leaving two Bayern players – Goetze and Martinez – with injuries. While Bayern were playing for a test warm-up against a lesser side, and the game would have faded into oblivion if they’d won, Salzburg were playing for a piece of history, and got it, but their aggression and recklessness (not dirty play) were beyond the norm for friendlies.

The main observations I took from the game were:
(1) Outplaying Bayern
I have rarely seen Bayern outplayed in the past few years. There were games where they lost but still weren’t outplayed – they lost through dim individual errors. But Salzburg went beyond that, really taking the game to Bayern at times. This was a great lesson to Bayern, showing that skill and tactics, without the hunger and engagement, will sometimes not be enough against good teams. Thankfully, Bayern have more hunger in knockout matches, as a rule, and they clearly need to keep producing it.

(2) Pep’s Experiment
I am in no way opposed to Pep’s experiment with three at the back, etc, and I agree with Firefox’s comment that it is not an alternative formation that can be picked up in a day, but it clearly has a long way to go, and needs a lot of training ground practice before it is tried again. (By the way, I am not meaning the 3-4-3 that Bayern sometimes morphs into when attacking; the formation against Salzburg had a different 3-at-the-back perspective.)

(3) Bayern’s Central Defence
Dante, and to a lesser extent Boateng, did not look convincing against Salzburg. They can be excused because the formation was experimental, and because Hojbjerg was newly integrated into it, but they struggled with standard stuff more than would have been expected. I like Dante, but he seems to be only 90% of the player he was last season, and that missing 10% becomes painfully obvious, and sometimes costly, against some good teams. I think that the game will have persuaded the Board that a further central defender is needed for reinforcement.

(4) Martinez
I also like Martinez, but I worry for his place in Guardiola’s team. He looked slow on several occasions and had to foul the player to prevent some attacks. He fits 4-2-3-1 well, but he hasn’t the pace to cover all the ground that a defensive midfielder needs to command in 4-1-4-1, and his attacking build-up from the back is average at best. His pace and awareness for a central defender’s role are not yet convincing, but I’ll cling to the hope that that is a matter of practice, and that he may find a role there. My guess is that he’s Pep’s Plan B, used as part of a 4-2-3-1 to bolster the defensive midfield when opponents are putting a lot of pressure on Bayern, needed in case of injury, and needed until the optimal defensive midfielder is established. Yes, he’ll get a lot of games on a rotation basis too, but I doubt whether he’ll ever be part of Pep’s Plan A.

I don’t think that the loss against Salzburg is of any great concern – not one that merits any kneejerk reactions. Bayern’s combination of missing players, experimental formation, reluctance to risk injury in hard tackles, and lack of significant achievement if they won, meant that they didn’t produce what it takes to beat an in-form Salzburg, a team that must currently rate as being on par with good mid-table teams from the Bundesliga. On another day, with different factors and different priorities, Bayern should get the result we’d have expected.

Salzburg, moreover, are having a very good season: 11 points clear in the Austrian league with a game in hand, and comfortable table-toppers in the Europa League. I fancy keeping an eye on their progress. They face Ajax next in the Europa League, followed by Basel or Tel Aviv if they win, so there should be some interesting football for the neutral to watch in those games. If they play like they did against Bayern – and I’ve no reason to believe that they can’t repeat such a performance – then they could collect all the domestic trophies and go far in the Europa League.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ballackfcb » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm

As long as Bayern win the competitive games (Bl, Cl, Pokal) then I couldn't care less what the team do in Friendly matches.
ballackfcb
2013/14 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Friendlies