You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2007-08-15] Bayern Munich vs Barcelona

Discussions on the friendly matches.

[2007-08-15] Bayern Munich vs Barcelona

Postby alp01051 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Bayern will play against Barcelona for Mehmet Scholl testimonial / Franz Beckenbauer Cup on Wednesday in Munich.
I expect we will win Barça and take revenge of last years match. As you know last year Barça beat us 4-0. I also expect Hamit Altintop will play well.
Last edited by alp01051 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alp01051
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Bajern » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:35 pm

I don't think Toni, Klose or Ribery will play, because there is a match on Saturday against Werder Bremen, which is way more important.

and the right thing to do on Barcelona side is to lose this game. :) For Scholl

ps: alp01051 could you put a poll and delete that zero on the 15 (date)
FC Bajern

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:11 am

The winner of this friendly match takes home the 'Franz-Beckenbauer-Pokal', pictured below.

From what I read, it's the largest ever cup played in Germany.
And, it can't be lifted. (wtf, lol)
FC Bajern

Postby soccerkyle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 pm

What time is the match and where can i watch it?
soccerkyle
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Scholl played for Bayern for 15 seasons, winning a record eight Bundesliga titles, the 2001 Champions League, the 1996 UEFA Cup and the DFB-Pokal on five occasions.

Scholl also earned 36 caps for Germany, helping the team to the 1996 European Championship title, and Rummenigge was full of praise for the midfield general as his team prepared to face Barcelona in the inaugural Franz Beckenbauer Cup.

Rummenigge told www.fcbayern.t-com.de: "Bayern Munich Football Club seeks to build partnerships with its players, and Mehmet fulfilled his side of the partnership with great commitment and fairness.

"He was a very important player for this club, and he was always very fair off the field of play, especially when it came to contract negotiations.

"He never tried to squeeze the last drop out of us, which can't be said of every player. We often only needed a five-minute chat before he was happy to sign.

"Mehmet is an important personality at the club, who was extremely well-loved by the fans. We'd very much like him to remain associated with Bayern in the future."

Scholl, 36, has been widely tipped to be rewarded for his loyalty with a behind-the-scenes job at the Allianz Arena, but Rummenigge admits that there is nothing concrete in place yet.

"He wants to take a couple of months off right now," he continued.

"He wants to get away from football and make a clean break, which is completely normal. After that, we'll sit down and define his future role more closely."

The 51-year-old added that he expects Barcelona to field an impressive line-up at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday.

"They're contractually obliged to appear with their best-available team," Rummenigge revealed.

"Obviously, I have no idea of their line-up yet, but just looking at the names involved, it'll definitely be a very attractive event.

"I'm hoping we'll see the stars, the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry, Messi, Eto'o, Deco and so on."

And in an aside, Rummenigge tipped the Spanish giants for glory on the biggest stage in the coming season.

"By the way," he added, "Barca - not Real, not Chelsea, and not Manchester - remain favourites for the Champions League, in my opinion.

"For now, Barcelona's individual class makes them the team to beat in the Champions League."
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:21 pm

At the end of the match, Scholl will go to indie-rock concerts and possibly pursue a career in bowling -- a sport often associated with pot-bellied men drinking beer.

ImageImage

Players past their prime could have also featured in his farewell match -- had "Scholli" chosen to invite former teammates and friends. But that does not suit the 36-year-old.

"I want to present the fans a serious game, not one between former soccer greats," he said, adding that he looked forward to playing one last time against the likes of Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry.

Scholl, who made his Bundesliga debut in 1990 at SC Karlsruhe before playing 15 years in Munich, was one of Germany's most gifted midfielders.

But a series of injuries prevented his career from really taking off, especially at national team level. Scholl never played at the World Cup, his biggest success in 36 caps being the Euro 1996 title.

Never a team leader, Scholl nonetheless always found his place beside the likes of Stefan Effenberg, Lothar Matthäus and Oliver Kahn at Germany's top club.

Munich general manager Uli Hoeness, who regularly renewed Scholl's contract by one year, said that Scholl "represented the fun side of soccer" throughout his career.

Scholl once famously said that he was afraid "of war and Oliver Kahn."

Kahn and Scholl are a world apart in almost every aspect in life.

They won't even be discussing playlists on Wednesday, with Scholl calling the likes of German indie-rockers Sportfreunde Stiller his friends and selecting songs for popular compilation albums.

Canadian band Hidden Cameras will provide the music on Wednesday in the Allianz Arena and later in the evening at the farewell party.

From then on, Scholl said he plans to leave the scheduled soccer life of training sessions and travel behind.

"I will go to concerts, spend time with friends, do whatever I feel like doing," he said.

Hoeness once hinted at a future for Scholl in Munich's youth sector, but nothing has been finalized. Scholl is reportedly seriously considering playing in the club's bowling team.

"Believe me, it is a dream sport," he once told the Süddeutsche Zeitung daily.

Scholl named as his biggest achievement "to have played football for 15 years around this circus (in Munich) and not been eaten up in this shark's pool.

"The biggest farewell gift is that the fans love me the way I am, that they respect me, the fans of other teams as well,"
he said. "That makes me very happy."
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm

FC Barcelona have named the squad to face Bayern Munich in Germany. The squad includes returning players Lionel Messi, Gabriel Milito and Rafa Marquez, while the transfer listed players like Ezquerro, Motta and Maxi Lopez were all dropped in preparation for their exit. Brazilian full-back, Sylvinho was also excluded due to his injury.

The full squad includes :

Valdés, Jorquera, Henry, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, Iniesta, Eto’o, Belletti, Milito, Abidal, Oleguer, Márquez, Deco, Messi, Touré Yaya, Thuram, Marc Crosas, Giovani and Olmo.

Barcelona will play Bayern Munich at 18:00 hrs ( GMT +1 )
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 pm

we lost 1-0 :evil:
FC Bajern

Postby diegis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 pm

FC Bajern wrote:we lost 1-0 :evil:

relax man :) .. it's just a friendly
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Messi, who came on in the second half, fired from the edge of the penalty area and the ball bounced off the inside of the post into the net with five minutes remaining in the game.

Scholl spent 15 seasons at Bayern and retired at the end of the last Bundesliga championship in May.

Barcelona started with Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and Samuel Eto'o and both teams made several substitutions in the second half.

Scholl left the game after 53 minutes to a standing ovation from the capacity crowd of 69,000 at the Allianz Arena.

He was replaced by Franck Ribery, the French star who inherited Scholl's No. 7 jersey.

A streaker ran onto the pitch after Messi's goal and hugged the Argentine star before being caught by ushers.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:24 pm

The testimonial match - officially the Franz Beckenbauer Cup - between Bayern and a full-strength Barcelona Wednesday was really of secondary importance.

On a warm evening in the Munich Arena, a 69,000 capacity crowd had come to bid farewell to their own star - but one who never acted the star despite a haul of 15 trophies including an an unprecedented eight Bundesliga titles and a Champions League medal.

"In more than 15 years here Mehmet was always a friend of the club who always gave everything," said club manager Uli Hoeness leading the plaudits of a midfielder who has always been a favourite among players and fans alike.

Club president Beckenbauer - probably the greatest player to wear a Bayern shirt - was also full of praise for the 36-year-old veteran who officially hung up his boots at the end of last season.

"Mehmet was an exceptional player who could play in any team. He was a player who could decide a game with his technique and speed. The Bundesliga will miss his type of player,"
he said.

Scholl plans to take a complete break from the game but Hoeness said there was a "permanent" offer open to him to work for the club in some capacity, perhaps as a youth team coordinator.

Scholl, who made his Bundesliga debut in 1990 at SC Karlsruhe before playing 15 years in Munich until the May 19 season finale, was one of Germany's most gifted midfielders.

Scholl chose Barcelona for his farewell rather than have a "fun" game with friends and former pros.

And so the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto'o and Messi took the field in Barcelona's last test match before the beginning of the Spanish league season.

For the record, Barcelona won 1-0 - thanks to an 85th-minute left-foot volley in off the post from the edge of the area by Messi - but Scholl was not concerned.

"It is a consolation that the goal came when I was no longer on the pitch, and so for me it was goalless while I was playing," said Scholl, who had by now changed into a pair of traditional Bavarian lederhosen.

"These 50 minutes gave me so much and I can now go home satisfied. I have no plans. I will do a lot of things now that I didn't have time for before," he added before the post-match farewells began.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Barcelona begin the Spanish league season with an away match against Racing Santander on the weekend of Aug. 25-26.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Line-up:

FC Barcelona: Valdés; Zambrotta (Márquez 46), Oleguer (Belletti 88), Thuram (Milito 60), Abidal; Touré, Xavi, Iniesta (Deco 46); Eto'o (Messi 46), Henry, Ronaldinho (Giovani 46)
Manager: Frank Rijkaard

~Bayern Munich:~ Kahn (Rensing 46); Lell, Van Buyten, Lucio (Demichelis 46), Lahm (Jansen 46); Altintop, Ottl, Van Bommel (Ze Roberto 46), Schweinsteiger (Wagner 69); Scholl (Ribéry 53), Toni (Klose 46).
Manager: Ottmar Hitzfeld

Goal : 0-1 Messi (84')

FC Barcelona recorded the sixth straight win this season after a 1-0 victory over German giants, Bayern Munci in Germany.
The highly intensive match commenced with both teams being well aware of each other's capability, but at the same time, eager to show their superiority. Thierry Henry, Samuel Eto'o and Ronaldinho started the match for Barca uofront, and the tridente cordinated well, with Henry having a very good chance to put Barca upfront but being unlucky to have missed after responding with a rebound shot from a save of his shot by Oliver Khan. The ball went off target. Bayern themselves were not to be left out of the action as the enterprising Hamit Atlintop was not ready to allow Barca keeper, Victor Valdes any hoilday. However, Valdes was equal to the task and did not allow any balls from the Germans into his net. The first half went without any goals.

At the beginning of the second half, changes were made by both sides, with Bayern Munich bringing in two notable names in Miroslav Klose and Brazil's Ze Roberto for two other notable names, Luca Toni and Mark Van Bommel. Goalkeeper Oliver Khan was also replaced by with Michael Rensing, while Barça replaced Ronaldinho and Eto'o with Giovano Dos Santos and also Rafa Marquez for Zambrotta and Deco for Iniesta. The match continued in free flowing football, and one of the highlights of the encounter was in the 53 rd minute when the stadium roared into applause for the change which was made. Veteran, Mehmet Scholl was substituted and this marked his send-off and farewell from the soccer scene. Scholl was replaced by another new signing, French revelation, Frank Ribery. Scholl hugged each member of the Bayern technical bench, then was roundly applauded by the Barcelona bench and entire players as well, before embarking on a lap of honour round the field of the beautiful Allianz Stadium after which the legend left the scene amid claps, roars and waves from all.

The match continued after the Scholl honour-break with Barca's new man, Gabriel Milito getting his first feel of competitive soccer in the Blaugrana when the Argentina defender was introduced in the 60th minute to replace Lilian Thuram. Series of misses characterised the second half, with Deco missing out of putting Barca ahead after tippin the ball beyond the goal net, and Thierry Henry also missing another chance to write his name in German by heading and not suceeding in netting the ball set up by young gun, Giovanni Dos Santos. Bayern's aggressive player, Ribery shot from an ambitoius 25 yards but missed, while the troublesome Antlintop tried Valdes one more time with another shot that went off-target. Oleguer who was the only player reprimanded in the game, was cautioned in the 82nd minute with a yello card.

In the 84th minute, the pressure was on the Munich residents. The Blaugrana attack was steaming to life and needed to prove their mettle. A quick lob into the Bayern area was supposedly nodded away from the area by Munich's Demechelis, but was headed on to the dangerous path of the prowling Argentinian, Lionel Messi who made no mistake in firing a bullet into the net from the far post. The resistance was broken and the deed was done. Barcelona held on to the one goal advantage to win the maiden edition of the Franz Beckenbaur Cup.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 pm

The match was both a testimonial for midfielder Scholl as well as an official farewell to Dutch striker Roy Makaay, who joined Feyenoord in the summer, as Bayern waved goodbye to two of their stalwarts.

Scholl told German broadcaster ARD after his final appearance in the famous red shirt: "It's not easy to walk away from something which has been a huge part of my life, but these 50 minutes gave me so much.

"Now, I have to start a new chapter in my life."

"Such a player will be missed by the Bundesliga, no question about it," said Bayern president Beckenbauer after Scholl became only the second player, after Brazilian Giovane Elber, to be given Bayern's Player of Honour award.

Bayern rested their top stars Franck Ribery and Miroslav Klose for the first half, but played Mark van Bommel, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philipp Lahm and Italian World Cup winner Luca Toni.

The Spaniards, who beat Bayern 4-0 in a similar pre-season warm-up at the Nou Camp stadium, brought many of their top stars including Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry, Messi and Samuel Eto'o.

While Barcelona are preparing for the new season, Bayern began their Bundesliga campaign with a 3-0 win over Hansa Rostock last Saturday and are away to their deadly rivals Werder Bremen this weekend.

Every time Henry and Ronaldinho moved into a threatening position, Bayern's defence were quick to close them down, while Schweinsteiger and Toni went close at the other end.

At half time Ronaldinho was rested, while Klose joined the action and the biggest cheer was saved for the 54th minute when Scholl left the Allianz Arena for the final time, being replaced by Ribery.

There were a host of changes in the second half with both sides taking the opportunity to use their squads.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Friendlies