You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

English football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: English football

Postby prasun77 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

seriously.. #-o #-o
then they said Manager X succeeded because he got a good team!
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby runaway » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 pm

It's not the manager or the players. It's just general English mentality that's lacking. It's a running joke among Brits about them in sports. They made the sport what it is today, both football and cricket, and just can't be bothered. Now that those sports are popular among plebs, they'd rather win something at obscure sports like dressage or Formula 1. :lol:

Though from Inverting the Pyramid book, it's the Scots that made football a more passing oriented and tactical game.
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby lau03143 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 pm

runaway wrote:It's not the manager or the players. It's just general English mentality that's lacking. It's a running joke among Brits about them in sports. They made the sport what it is today, both football and cricket, and just can't be bothered. Now that those sports are popular among plebs, they'd rather win something at obscure sports like dressage or Formula 1.

Though from Inverting the Pyramid book, it's the Scots that made football a more passing oriented and tactical game.

Indeed!
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby pyrasur » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:48 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:It's amazing... The British play the worst football in Europe, can't even defeat the likes of Monaco, Besitkas or Fiorentina and still they get stratospherical TV and sponsorship deals. Marketing stinks.

I don't know if there is any amount of marketing the Bundesliga could do to make up the gap financially. But I trust the Bundesliga to be fine if the league keeps producing quality talent and finding hidden talent in Czech Republic, Croatia, Poland and these countries.

I will laugh if the TV money ends up drowning the youth development in England and leads to their clubs becoming worse if that's possible. They will end up paying German clubs through the nose for halfway decent players!
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby PunkCapitalist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:11 am

pyrasur wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:It's amazing... The British play the worst football in Europe, can't even defeat the likes of Monaco, Besitkas or Fiorentina and still they get stratospherical TV and sponsorship deals. Marketing stinks.

I don't know if there is any amount of marketing the Bundesliga could do to make up the gap financially. But I trust the Bundesliga to be fine if the league keeps producing quality talent and finding hidden talent in Czech Republic, Croatia, Poland and these countries.

I will laugh if the TV money ends up drowning the youth development in England and leads to their clubs becoming worse if that's possible. They will end up paying German clubs through the nose for halfway decent players!

I don't think that either. I was just complaining about marketing in general as a discipline. It overhypes things and keeps the good stuff out of sight. Not just in football, in general.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby pyrasur » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:31 am

I see what you are saying now for sure. But, at least we don't have to deal with too many bandwagoners... If someone finds a way to watch Bundesliga in America, when the only football on tv is crap BPL, that's a true fan to me.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby prasun77 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:39 am

runaway wrote:It's not the manager or the players. It's just general English mentality that's lacking. It's a running joke among Brits about them in sports. They made the sport what it is today, both football and cricket, and just can't be bothered. Now that those sports are popular among plebs, they'd rather win something at obscure sports like dressage or Formula 1. :lol:

Do you mean Matt Busby?
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby lau03143 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Not just Busby, but from the 1950's Scotland had a number of great football players that were ahead of their time. Jim Baxter in my opinion being the greatest of them.

Here's an example of how a Scotsman influenced Brazilian football:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Miller
Last edited by lau03143 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:46 pm

pyrasur wrote:I don't know if there is any amount of marketing the Bundesliga could do to make up the gap financially.

I'm quite sure there isn't. It's not (just) about the FA's and the DFB's marketability, but about the country in general. Few Americans and Africans, for example, would prefer to watch a game in German over a game in English. Similarly, who would want to support a team from a "mediocre" (as in unpopular) city like Hamburg over one like Manchester? Even Berlin (which is beautiful for those who've never been there) doesn't quite hold the same attractiveness as London to most. The English have done one good thing politically in the last few decades, and that was kissing up to the Americans. Luckily for us the USA now happens to have a German legend as a coach.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby runaway » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Yeah it's not just one player. It's the easy acceptance from the Scots to try something different. English football before and even today, still believes dribbling, physicality, and individual skills are important and above all. They looked down and scoffed at this new style of play and yet the teams that prefers passing wins more.
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby Lukas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
pyrasur wrote:I don't know if there is any amount of marketing the Bundesliga could do to make up the gap financially.

I'm quite sure there isn't. It's not (just) about the FA's and the DFB's marketability, but about the country in general. Few Americans and Africans, for example, would prefer to watch a game in German over a game in English. Similarly, who would want to support a team from a "mediocre" (as in unpopular) city like Hamburg over one like Manchester? Even Berlin (which is beautiful for those who've never been there) doesn't quite hold the same attractiveness as London to most. The English have done one good thing politically in the last few decades, and that was kissing up to the Americans. Luckily for us the USA now happens to have a German legend as a coach.

Have you ever been to Manchester? It's alright but there's not much there. At least Hamburg has the river and docks to add a bit of interest and individuality :P although Munich is my favourite German city of course
Lukas
I post all the time

National Flag:
England

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 am

Man U seem to be barely holding on to a top 4 place, but you can only rely on luck for so long....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby runaway » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:31 pm

And... Arsenal's new defender is injured for 2 weeks with a hamstring problem.
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby lau03143 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:10 pm

English football going back to the dark ages!!

http://news.sky.com/story/1441076/footb ... eet-attack

A football fan is fighting for his life after he suffered a serious head injury when he was attacked in the street following a match.

The Watford supporter was walking to the train station in Wolverhampton after watching his side draw 2-2 in the Championship on Saturday.

West Midlands Police said the 44-year-old had left Molineux stadium when he was attacked.

A spokesman said: "Detectives have launched an investigation after a Hertfordshire man received life-threatening injuries in an unprovoked assault in Wolverhampton yesterday.

"The 44-year-old was with a group of friends making their way to the train station to return home to Hemel Hempstead just after 5pm when they were attacked in Littles Lane."

Detective Sergeant Adam Keen said: "The group of friends were completely outnumbered and the victim suffered a severe head injury which has left him in a critical condition in hospital.

"His family have been informed and we are in the process of taking statements from witnesses and locating any CCTV which might have captured those responsible for the attack."

Watford Football Club said on their website: "The thoughts of everyone associated with Watford FC are with a Hornets' supporter - at yesterday's game - who is now critically ill after an unprovoked post-match attack."

Wolves' chief executive Jez Moxey said: "We are deeply saddened to hear of this incident and our thoughts go out to the supporter concerned and his family.

"As a club we deplore any violence in or around football matches and we will work closely with the relevant authorities to help bring the perpetrator, or perpetrators, to justice."
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby runaway » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:56 pm

runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

PreviousNext