You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Maltese football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: Maltese football

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Mandzukic ZERO goals vs Malta with 10men since the 30th min.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2

So our players handled him better than Ramos and co a few weeks ago. :lol:

I couldn't watch the game but it's a respectable result for us seeing as we played most of the game with 10 men and were still tied at half time. Shame we couldn't keep it 1-0. However, it is always the same story. We have clearly improved A LOT in recent years but we just can't get positive results anyway. We lose every game but actually put in a decent performance most of the time, even against the likes of Italy and Croatia.

shhh I envy Iceland and Cyprus ... population similar to ours especially Iceland with 320 000 (we 450 000) and get these tremendous results =D>
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 pm

They are normally like us though. Hopefully their results serve as a message to everyone involved in our NT that we can achieve similar results.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:48 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:They are normally like us though. Hopefully their results serve as a message to everyone involved in our NT that we can achieve similar results.

Iceland reached the last WC play-offs...
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:41 am

ramsej84 wrote:What do you think about halilovic? I think he is a bright future... Even Kramaric... Where does he play?

Kovač has decided to call 7-8 new young players who play either in Croatian league or for big clubs outside. Branimir Hrgota has been called to play for Sweden which is really bad since we really lack wingers all the time.

Time to switch generation and it's great time for transition.

Halilović is very, very talented player, that's why Barcelona decided to buy him. Rumors said last year that Dinamo rejected 15 mil. € from Tottenham, but sold Alen for only 2.5 mil. €. Of course, clauses are installed in Barca deal and that could eventually move up to 20 mil. € according to Croatian media.

We took him because he could have played for BiH national team since his father is Bosniak, but Alen wanted to play only for Croatia.
He is our future, still young, barely 18. Wait, I think he is still 17. You can see what's happening around this guy. In Barcelona they are very impressed with Alen's talent and what he's shown so far.

About Andrej Kramarić... Fantastic young striker who can also perform as left winger(moves into the channels, comes deep to get the ball and move forward, a lot present in creation of attacking actions). Currently he plays for NK Rijeka, but he is product of Dinamo Zagreb football school and born Zagreb boy.
Andrej never got a real chance in the last 3-4 years in Dinamo even though he is the best scorer all time in Dinamo youth categories and named as a great talent. Moved to Rijeka last season where he showed fantastic performances, skills and born goal-instinct. I expect great things from Andrej in near future. If he continues with football development he can make a great transfer one day.

There is also Robert Murić(the boy was linked with Bayern some 7-8 months) who has moved to Ajax this summer after many problems with well-known Dinamo alfa&omega Zdravko Mamić, where Robert's family and himself succeeded to terminate youth contract and Fifa approved his move to Amsterdam. This guy is just starting his professional career. Frank de Boer is delighted to have this guy and he's expecting great entertainmine

Kovačić(Inter), Halilović(Barcelona), Kramarić(Rijeka), Vrsaljko(Genoa), Rebić(RB Leipzig), Brozović(Dinamo), H. Milić(Rostov), Murić(Ajax), Čop(Dinamo), Pašalić(Chelsea; on loan at Elche), Pjaca(Dinamo), Čop(Dinamo).

The latter one has recently shown awesome football in Dinamo shirt and he's becoming a fantastic poacher. This season no. 1 name at Dinamo.

Badelj also moved from sick HSV where he lost 2 great years of his career. His stagnation was also minus to Croatia.

But the most important thing is how to make Croatian game improved after many, many years of nothing. Modrić, Rakitić and Kovačić - one big nothing. In club level you would see great things, but together in one team as I said before.

Somehow I think Croatian players are slow, I don't know why. But I would make of them horses after strong fitness. I want Croatia to see something like Dortmund or Schmidt's Salzburg rather than something else. At least defensive beast ala Simeone's Atletico. We don't know how to get closer to any of the mentioned styles and philosophies.

Balkan mentality... :)
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:43 am

ramsej84 wrote:Iceland reached the last WC play-offs...

My bad, I didn't know that.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Tell me, what you Maltese expect when you play football? When you're sucha small country and almost always lose matches, could be well-known: "It's important to participate"? :)
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:14 pm

FCB general wrote:Tell me, what you Maltese expect when you play football? When you're sucha small country and almost always lose matches, could be well-known: "It's important to participate"? :)

I'm usually happy to get a respectable result, like yesterday. When we win a game (like vs Armenia last year) it's a big deal, even it it's just a friendly.

I admit that sometimes I bet that we will lose for a little extra cash. :oops:
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:48 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
FCB general wrote:Tell me, what you Maltese expect when you play football? When you're sucha small country and almost always lose matches, could be well-known: "It's important to participate"? :)

I'm usually happy to get a respectable result, like yesterday. When we win a game (like vs Armenia last year) it's a big deal, even it it's just a friendly.

I admit that sometimes I bet that we will lose for a little extra cash. :oops:

vs Armenia wasn't a friendly. I am always hoping for the best but it seems that we can only get acceptable performances but still no victories.
Until we have 20 players playing abroad we are not going to achieve big things. However I am confident that we will soon have a good number of foreign based players, plus we can attract Maltese players born elsewhere.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:27 pm

ramsej84 wrote:vs Armenia wasn't a friendly. I am always hoping for the best but it seems that we can only get acceptable performances but still no victories.
Until we have 20 players playing abroad we are not going to achieve big things. However I am confident that we will soon have a good number of foreign based players, plus we can attract Maltese players born elsewhere.

I meant we make a big deal every time we win a game, even if it's a friendly. Armenia was an example. :)
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Just to remind you. You ain't that small. You see... Montenegro is a country with 625,266 inhabitants and you have 452,515. Not that big difference, but Montenegro NT play very good football after they've become independent state.

Everyone has heard for Vučinić, Jovetić, Savić, Delibašić.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm

FCB general wrote:Just to remind you. You ain't that small. You see... Montenegro is a country with 625,266 inhabitants and you have 452,515. Not that big difference, but Montenegro NT play very good football after they've become independent state.

Everyone has heard for Vučinić, Jovetić, Savić, Delibašić.

Yes but agian they play their day to day football in strong leagues.
No, who is Delibasic?:smile:

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:56 pm

ramsej84 wrote:No, who is Delibasic?:smile:

Okay, you didn't hear. Doesn't matter, after all he's not that known on continental level. :D
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm

The thing is it's not just about the amount of people. In Malta most kids have played football with a club at some point in their lives. The problem is that football here is semi-professional and many children give it up when they are 15-16 because they want to pay more attention to school commitments.

The fact that we are such a small country in terms of surface area also means most people live with their parents and family until their mid-to-late twenties and that makes it harder for families to accept and allow talented children to move abroad. Thankfully this is changing slowly. Aidan Friggieri, who is 16 years old, has just signed for Lazio and he is extremely talented. Yesterday I heard (dunno if you know anything about it ramsej) that Joseph Mbong, another teenager, has also signed for a foreign club.

Then the whole structure of the league is a joke. Of note are the facts that we only use 4 different stadiums for Premier League matches, so there are no home and away matches (a clear disadvantage when our NT has to play away, because they are not used to it). There is also a limit on the number of foreigners in a team; there can only be 5 on the pitch at the same time for a given team. Personally I disagree with the reasoning that this limit helps promote Maltese talent. I think that by allowing more foreigners we would allow the league to improve so that more people turn their heads towards us and scout our Maltese talents. The talented players are undoubtedly there. The youth teams of our clubs often take part in international tournaments and do well. The problem is that most of these players either stop playing football or become stuck in the dead end that is Maltese football. Once you get to the Premier League you risk stagnating because there is no higher level, and the quality of the league does not improve because the moment a team signs a star foreigner they have to let go of one of their current foreigners.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Re Mbong I was aware that he was in talks with some clubs but actually not aware with whom. I agree with everything you said but re the amm of foreigners I think it is not an easy decision. I prefer to have 3 high quality forigners rather then 6 or 7 of the same qualties as the local ones...that is my op.
Last wk I was having a chat with the fcb fan club pres who happens to have a role with the mfa and told me that there are a gd nr of U19s who might sign with a foreign club(italian)
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:31 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:The problem is that football here is semi-professional and many children give it up when they are 15-16 because they want to pay more attention to school commitments.

Here we have had a problem with people who left high school in the past to become professional footballers. For instance, Davor Šuker left math gymnasium(at least I've heard but not sure if he ever graduated after 4 grades).

We don't pay attention to school, we prefer more to work everything else than study. :mrgreen:

As you can see, Croatia 4.2 mil inhabitants(13 years ago 4.4 mil), but what kind of players we've made in the last 50 years... Even coaches like Zebec and Čajkovski created this Bayern or Tomislav Ivić who worked at Porto in the late 80's.

FCBayernMunchen wrote:there can only be 5 on the pitch at the same time for a given team.

Here goes the same, but now foreigners come can easily come to Croatia if they're coming from the EU country or posessess EU passport. The rest are treated as "Fgn".
But that can only Dinamo make because they're the only team which stand financially fantastic for Croatian football standards, even social. Many Portuguese players including NT goalkeeper who played recently on the WC has signed for Dinamo and become no. 1 GK.

The rest of the league can only suck and watch in their back, but also Dinamo can suck since the 8x in row Cro champions can't have strong matches. Now only NK Rijeka look as a real opponent because 2 years ago Italian businessman came to Croatia and bought entire club and automatically by doing that, club has solved entire financial minus, organized perfect and clean under the private command unlike the many other clubs which are led by very suspicious people, criminals, local sheriffs(local individuals in every town who have all kind of links in society, don't know anything about football but don't mind to get rich from it), etc.

At least Croatian league has become more interested after they had finally changed competition format in league 10 where one club directly gets relegated to 2nd divison and the 2nd from the bottom plays 2 play-off matches with the club in 2nd division to stay in the league. This should have been created some 13 years ago and we would probably have had better financial situation in the clubs, stronger matches and better chance for our talents to prove themselves.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe