You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2008-05-12] Zenit St. Petersburg vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Europa League (UEFA Cup) matches.

Zenit vs Bayern

Zenit reach the final
31%
Toni scores a goal with this private parts and Bayern go though
69%

Total votes : 13

Postby Bayernbazi » Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm

The more I try to dismiss this game the worse I feel about how the way the team allowed itself to get humilated.

Reading the same article quoted earlier didn't make me feel any better. For instance it mentions that;

Munich fell to opponents for whom everything went right on the night.

Wasn't this thanks to Bayern ? It all started with the own goal at home and it continued with giving them that freekick within 4 mins into the game and then getting the goal. Form there on we were in the russian's bag

The thing is that the management seems to be missing the whole point and putting the blame solely on tiredness. The same article states that;

" Fifty games so far this term also visibly took its toll on the visitors. “We’ve been playing three times a week for months, and our opponents were simply in great shape today, fresher and fitter, whereas we were running on empty,” Rummenigge said sympathetically. “We couldn’t expect the team to produce another escape act like we did in Getafe or in the Cup final against Dortmund. We needed to take the lead or equalise quickly,” mused manager Uli Hoeneß, “we ran out of strength, especially mentally.“

...What will happen when go one gear up in Champions League ?

And what's worst it seems that after we spent a whole season pretending that we are the rightful UEFA cup winners, now we are beginning to hear that 'we belong in the CL' as if it isn't a team which makes itself worthy of CL successful participation.

With this arrogant reasoning, I hope that I'm wrong but I'm afraid next season we are in for a another couple of some other beatings as it continues like this;

So where do Bayern stand after last summer’s spending spree and team rebuilding? .............................

The question will probably not be answered until Bayern return to the Champions League next season, “where we really belong,” argued Hoeneß. Next season, Munich will certainly not be favourites before every game they play. “We’ve spent the season talking up the UEFA Cup, but it’s not an easy competition for Bayern,” said Kahn, “this team has bags of potential and will have learned a lot this term. The Champions League next season will indicate where we stand in Europe.“
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby FCBinNYC » Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Although I don't think tiredness is a good excuse to lose the game as badly as we did, I would say that it's a definite factor. You have to remember that there are 2 more games in the UEFA Cup than CL, and also we have a team right now that above all lacks experience playing this number of games this season. I look at the starting lineup, I see Toni, Klose, Ribery, and Jansen, all players who have had only domestic football or short European runs in their careers so far. I would think that stepping it up to winning the cup and making an European semi takes some getting used to. Again, not an excuse to be humiliated, but a factor. Hopefully the team will have learned to cope with it so that we can make something awesome happen next season.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby elcalifornio » Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Teams in the Epl play more games than Bayern by a long stretch and they don't blame anything on being tired. Sorry excuse sorry peformance. The needs to make changes.
elcalifornio
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon May 05, 2008 12:48 am

Good point, but you know they would if they lost to a summer league team like Zenit. And I'm sure those summer league teams blame their typically early Champions League exits on being tired since their seasons are almost over if not completely done during the group stage. It's a factor. But again, not a good excuse.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby elcalifornio » Mon May 05, 2008 7:12 am

A "revolution" as it was termed last year takes more than a summer in football, and it should continue this summer. The notion that we don't need to spend big again is naive. We have many places for improvement to compete in europe.
elcalifornio
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 pm

If the excuse is that Bayern was tired then it proves my point. Early in the season I posted here that sticking with the same line-up game after game was going to get Bayern into trouble. I stated that discussing Podolski's situation but I shaded some light on how it was a Hitzfeld problem.

If you do not rotate the players:

1. They get tired playing 3 games per week;
(If you rotate the players they don't play 3 games per week)

2. Substitutes if always used at the 80th minute will never get into the dynamics of the team, so the day they are obligated to be starters they underperform.

3. "Untouchable starters" lose commitment: Competition should drive commitment to the higher level, if you know nobody can challenge your spot you lose the extra incentive.

4. Same formation game after game makes a team predictable. I actually believe this was Bayern's main problem: Both Getafe and Zenit had Bayern figured out all the way and Bayern could do little as they lacked a plan B or C.

On a separate note Hitzfeld success in the current season domestically has not been the performance of the team, it has been the individualities of Luca Toni and Ribery

Also, I fully agree that the EPL play more games as they have 4 more league games each year. (20 teams in EPL versus 18 teams in DBL). The Bundesliga even has a winter break and the EPL does not.

As I said before Bayern has big problems on the defensive midfield area and Central defense, it might be sufficient for the Bundesliga, it is not enough for European Competitions.

If Bayern wants to go back to the elite of the CL they need to change a lot for next season, more than saying that the UEFA Cup was not their playground or that they were tired.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MaCk0y » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 pm

3. "Untouchable starters" lose commitment: Competition should drive commitment to the higher level, if you know nobody can challenge your spot you lose the extra incentive.

You're talking like an economist :lol: :P
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Mon May 05, 2008 10:11 pm

:oops: Yes I wish all these presidential candidates in the USA listen to me :wink:

But it is so true: even Carsten Jancker would have been a real striker if he would have had a decent striker competing for his spot. :P
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Re: Zenit St. Petersburg vs. FC Bayern Munchen

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:47 pm

:OOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spanish judicial authorities are investigating the possibility that last season's UEFA Cup semi-final between Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg could have been rigged.

A spokeswoman for the National Court confirmed a report in Wednesday's El Pais and ABC dailies, but said no details could be given on an ongoing investigation.

According to the newspaper reports, the investigation has followed a claim by a suspected Russian criminal boss in Spain.

The man, arrested earlier this year in Spain, had been heard in a tapped telephone conversation boasting Zenit's success in the semi-final had been bought 'for 50 million'. No currency was mentioned.

Zenit beat Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate, including a 4-0 win over the German side in Russia in the second-leg match on May 12, the highest Bayern defeat in Europe for 31 years.

Zenit then went on to win the final by beating Glasgow Rangers 2-0 in Manchester.

According to the reports, Spanish investigative magistrate Baltasar Garzon has informed German prosecutors of the investigation.

However Munich prosecutors said they were not aware of any investigation. A Bayern Munich spokesman said the club was unable at this stage to make any comment on the report.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:37 pm

MUTU wrote::OOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spanish judicial authorities are investigating the possibility that last season's UEFA Cup semi-final between Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg could have been rigged.

A spokeswoman for the National Court confirmed a report in Wednesday's El Pais and ABC dailies, but said no details could be given on an ongoing investigation.

According to the newspaper reports, the investigation has followed a claim by a suspected Russian criminal boss in Spain.

The man, arrested earlier this year in Spain, had been heard in a tapped telephone conversation boasting Zenit's success in the semi-final had been bought 'for 50 million'. No currency was mentioned.

Zenit beat Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate, including a 4-0 win over the German side in Russia in the second-leg match on May 12, the highest Bayern defeat in Europe for 31 years.

Zenit then went on to win the final by beating Glasgow Rangers 2-0 in Manchester.

According to the reports, Spanish investigative magistrate Baltasar Garzon has informed German prosecutors of the investigation.

However Munich prosecutors said they were not aware of any investigation. A Bayern Munich spokesman said the club was unable at this stage to make any comment on the report.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Postby reiniksrobis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Zenit sucks, in Russian premier league they have had some fixed matches.

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:43 pm

MUTU wrote:

:shock: :shock: :(
Well thats not gonna do any good to our reputation all over Europe , even if this turns out to be false and I'm assuming it will cause if it were
for Spanish media Lahm would be playing in a Barca dress this year and Ribery would be in his 2nd year at Real . :wink:
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 pm

A Spanish judge has sent German prosecutors information suggesting that Russian mobsters fixed a UEFA Cup semifinal game last season between Russian team Zenit St. Petersburg and Bayern Munich, a leading Spanish newspaper reported Wednesday.

El Pais said a probe by Judge Baltasar Garzon has turned up a taped telephone conversation of suspected Russian gang member Gennady Petrov mentioning that 50 million of an unspecified currency had been paid to Bayern.

Previously, in a call in May, one of Petrov's aides, Leonid Khristoforov, boasted to Petrov that he knew the result of the match in St. Petersburg would be 4-0 in Zenit's favor. The final score was in fact 4-0, with Zenit winning. Bayern and Zenit had drawn 1-1 in the first leg in Munich.

Zenit went on to win the UEFA Cup, beating Rangers 2-0 in the final in Manchester, England.

"Bayern Munich knows nothing about this suspicion and neither does the Munich prosecutor's office,'' the German club said in a statement Wednesday. "We are going to try to get as much information we can.''

Contacted by The Associated Press, the National Court acknowledged that there was a probe into Petrov and other suspected gang members, but would not comment on the El Pais report.

Christian Schmidt-Sommerfeld, spokesman for the Munich prosecutor's office, said they still haven't received anything from Spain, so he cannot comment on the case. He said they have no information and are not investigating.

Petrov was one of 20 people arrested in Spain in June in raids ordered by Garzon. The detainees are suspected members of the Tambov gang, which is considered one of the world's most powerful Russian mafia groups. Petrov is said to be the head of the Tambov group.

They were accused of laundering proceeds from crimes that include contract killings and arms and drug trafficking.

The suspects lived in luxury in Spain and allegedly used bogus companies to launder money from criminal activities in Russia and other former Soviet countries.

El Pais said that in another conversation, another detained suspect, Vitaly Izguilov, talked of making money on the transfer of one of Zenit's players, El Pais said. The other person in the call mentioned the transfer of four players, but it was not clear if this concerned the Russian league champion.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Postby MrLinky » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:56 am

mackoy wrote: paid to Bayern.

:shock: :shock:
As long as Rumenigge and Ulli are at this club something like that is never gonna happen . although all of this sounds pretty concrete ,
its probably just a major missunderstanding , or at least I hope so . :(
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Jorge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 pm

The way Mark Van Bommel is playing this season I think he is being bought by every oponent that we face #-o and maybe Klinsmann was bought also when he named him captain.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Europa League