You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Why big teams neglect UEFA Europa League?

Discussions on the UEFA Europa League (UEFA Cup) matches.

Why big teams neglect UEFA Europa League?

Postby fcbayernfanalbania » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am

Liverpool has been eliminated, Chelsea lost and Inter as well. Year after year happens the same thing: big teams defect the competition and get eliminated very early. Why does this happen. I dont think the prizes are that small in this competition as to be ignored. What is your opinion?
fcbayernfanalbania
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Why big teams neglect UEFA Europa League?

Postby MoFattal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 am

Some will say that the Europa League is not tempting/interesting for the "big" clubs, regardless of the financial benefits, because of them being at a better level than the rest of the clubs. Others will say that they would prefer to focus on the domestic fronts to achieve the more-important CL qualification. For me, it's all crap. An escape route to justify the fact that they actually suck and are no better than the rest of the teams playing there.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby fcbayernfanalbania » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

I myself like Europa League the best because teams play in a more relaxed manner and you can see movements and goeals which it is harder to be seen in other competitions.
fcbayernfanalbania
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby lau03143 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:28 pm

MoFattal wrote:Some will say that the Europa League is not tempting/interesting for the "big" clubs, regardless of the financial benefits, because of them being at a better level than the rest of the clubs. Others will say that they would prefer to focus on the domestic fronts to achieve the more-important CL qualification.

Those are both the reasons.

Winning the Europa League just doesn't anywhere near give you the financial benefits of just qualifying for the Champions League.

Football is a business. Cups mean nothing to your bottom line, it's all about money for the big clubs.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Firefox1234 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:59 pm

I find the Europa League a good way for smaller leagues to generate money for there teams. The bigger teams may not appreciate it but i think its a good way to keep smaller clubs alive....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Borusse » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Money.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby SilentStrike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Motivation of players.
Chelsea players had just won the CL a year before. Why should they be motivated to perform against Steaua in a loser's competition?
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby MaCk0y » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Besides money, I also think the Europa League is 'overpopulated'. Just look at the group stages (half the English alphabet :P), a gazillion teams. Then there's a round of 32 and then round of 16. Too many teams and too many matches IMO. I know UEFA wants to give smaller teams a chance to play in a European competition but it loses interest.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Element » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:34 pm

SilentStrike wrote:Motivation of players.
Chelsea players had just won the CL a year before. Why should they be motivated to perform against Steaua in a loser's competition?

Thank you
For Chelsea it is many Steps Below

For Steaua: "**** we are playing in Europe" and in top of that "**** again ,the CL champion is coming to town"

You could put me in the Steaua squad and i will play like i have never played before
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby MoFattal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:41 am

Regardless of player motivation, the reason that Chelsea (and the likes) are playing there is that they deserve to be there. Currently, their level is Europa League football. They can try to change that next year, but now it is what it is. I remember when we were there a few years ago. Even though it was a new irritating territory for us, we still had the goal of winning it and went a good stretch towards reaching that goal, until Tymo showed up.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby lau03143 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm

It would be brilliant for the integrity of the game if everyone took the competition seriously. It's refreshing to see Tottenham doing so, and maintaining form in the League.

I'm an idealist tho.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby AdepT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Smaller teams want any amount of money they can collect. Plus as much recognition as they can earn by going far into the competition helps them at European level and much more at the domestic level. Because for such leagues/countries these teams get the maximum exposure and they can earn more through sponsors, local or global.

Bigger teams that drop in from CL would rather focus on their leagues because that provides a far more financial benefit. Plus they like to concentrate on getting into CL next season. Because that is far more profitable than winning the Europa, monetarily. Also, they don't yearn for fame because they are already well renowned around the world. Europa doesn't provide enough lure in that regard to these teams.

Tottenham are giving a push because they are practicing for CL. Plus AVB would make quite a mark and win the fans over with a Europa league trophy in his first year. It's 2nd to CL but yeah that's something you can brag about. Plus a chance at UEFA Super Cup trophy.
So you see, EL is like the poor man's gold. Those who can't have a shot at league but want glory would go for it. :|

Atletico having won twice and seeing their league position preferred to concentrate on the league this time.

It's all about the perception of the man leading the team - the coach/manager.
Those who live for glory will always give their best for any trophy. :)
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby lau03143 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I'd argue that winning the Europa League brings you any real financial benefits.

Not many of the past winners of the last ten years have really benefited or even progressed professionally. And even less so the runners up.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby SilentStrike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Guys, it's not money that motivates players. You think our players were depressed not winning the CL because it cost them their financial boosts? There have been plenty of studies shown where money is actually a very bad motivator (eg Herzberg).

It's simply that the Europa league is not worthy of winning for big teams/players. The money does reflect the interest in the league though, they complement each other. If a league is popular -> More tv rights -> More money. So yes it may seem like money plays a role but money is more a result than a cause.

Yes, perhaps the financial director cares about the money but believe me he can shout scream and cheer all he want but if they players don't want to then it's end of story.

Especcially clubs in bigger leagues will rather perform in their own league than in the EL, and clubs in shitty leagues do their best in EL that's why there's so many upsets.
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby AdepT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Club Atlético de Madrid, winners of the competition, earned themselves just over €10.5m after coming through the group and knockout stages to clinch the trophy with a fine 3-0 win over fellow Spanish outfit Athletic Club in Bucharest in May. Athletic Club received around €9.5m for their own splendid run.

Each of the 48 clubs in the group stage earned a participation bonus of €640,000, plus a bonus of €60,000 per group game played, which meant that every club received €1m, irrespective of their results. Performance bonuses amounted to €140,000 per win and €70,000 per draw for each club in the group stage. RSC Anderlecht were the only club to receive the full amount of €840,000 for a 100% record in their group programme.

Each participant in the round of 32 received an extra €200,000, with further progress being rewarded by payments of €300,000 for advancing to the round of 16, €400,000 for the quarter-finals and €700,000 for the semi-finals.

Atlético earned €3m for winning the final in Bucharest, and Athletic Club €2m. In addition, €60m in prize money came from the television market pool and was shared out according to a variety of factors, including the proportional value of an individual club's national TV market. Atlético received nearly €4.3m from the market pool and around €5.2m from participation, performance and match bonuses.

The remaining €30 million was divided into six pots, one for each round in the competition. These pots, increasing in size from the final (€1.2 million) to the group stage (€12 million), were then divided, depending on the value of the domestic markets, between the national associations represented in each round. For associations with more than one representative, the share of each pot was divided equally between the clubs concerned.

All the clubs that played in one or more of the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League qualifying rounds received €90,000 per round, ie a maximum of €270,000, whether they played in the group stage or not.

In addition, each club knocked out in the play-offs received €90,000. [source]

So there is quite a amount of money for teams to play for. Completely depends on the team if they want to go for it.
POOR MAN's GOLD - That's what I said earlier. Of course, CL has far more amount of money involved.
That is why I said if teams go into EL for winning it, it's more to do with glory than money.

Plus the share has been increased by 40m this year.

In addition, the UEFA Executive Committee has approved a further contribution of €40m to the UEFA Europa League club share, with funding provided by the UEFA Champions League clubs and UEFA shares – meaning a total net UEFA Europa League club share of €208.75m.

The net amount available to the participating clubs will be split – €125.25m in fixed payments, and €83.5m in variable amounts (market pool) which will be distributed according to the proportional value of each television market represented by the clubs taking part in the UEFA Europa League (group stage onwards).

Each of the 48 clubs that feature in the group stage can expect to receive a group stage fee of €1.3m. There will also be performance bonuses of €200,000 for every win and €100,000 for every draw in the group stage. Moreover, qualification bonuses will be allotted to the teams that progress to the round of 32: the 12 group winners can anticipate earning €400,000 apiece and the runners-up €200,000.

With regard to the knockout phase, sides competing in the round of 32 will collect €200,000 each, clubs in the round of 16 €350,000, the quarter-finalists €450,000 and the semi-finalists €1m. The UEFA Europa League winners will pick up €5m and the runners-up €2.5m.

A team could receive, at best, €9.9m from playing in this season's competition – not counting the market pool share.

Each club figuring in the first and/or second and/or third qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League will get €100,000 per round even if they qualify for the UEFA Europa League group stage. In addition, every side eliminated in the UEFA Europa League play-offs will be allocated €100,000. [source]
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Next

Return to UEFA Europa League