You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2016-04-13] S.L. Benfica vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm

S.L. Benfica will win
21%
It will end in a draw
9%
Bayern Munich will win
70%

Total votes : 33

Re: [2016-04-13] S.L. Benfica vs Bayern Munich

Postby hrosenberg33 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:07 am

Here's my view on things:

1) Vidal is currently the best box to box MF in the world and our best player over the last 15 games by a long shot.
2) I'm disappointed in Pep removing Lewy from the lineup. He's an absolutely great manager but who takes out one of the top 3 strikers in the world in an elimination game? Sometimes I feel he tinkers with the lineup just to show everyone how brilliant he is. However, he's made a 3rd straight semi which is pretty amazing.
3) Lahm was fantastic. His calm, defensive play and the way he repeatedly made runs into the Benfica area were fantastic. It was such a pleasure to watch him. He was a difference maker.
4) Neuer was disappointing today. I don't know what he was thinking on that cross (and it was a beautiful cross at that). Although if he stayed in goal he would have been challenged to stop the header at least he would have had a chance.
5) Xavi gets a nice golf clap for his long balls and menotromic control of the game.
6) Thiago was invisible.
7) Costa, Ribs, Kimmich were all "ok".
8) Hats off to Benfica and their manager, they had their first half tactics bang on.

Overall, I'm very happy that we are through to the semis but I feel our form is weak at this point. It will be a challenge to get to the final no matter who we face. Nonetheless, Mia San Mia.
hrosenberg33
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Larhm » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 am

The UCL is Bayern's to lose now.
Larhm
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lukas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:31 am

Don't know if this has been said before but apparently whenever we play Benfica in Europe we reach the final. Happened in 1976 and 1996 (and 1981 but if you want omens that isn't important)
Lukas
I post all the time

National Flag:
England

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:48 am

Lukas wrote:Don't know if this has been said before but apparently whenever we play Benfica in Europe we reach the final. Happened in 1976 and 1996 (and 1981 but if you want omens that isn't important)

We also reach the final whenever we eliminate Juve.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby zozon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:41 am

Larhm wrote:The UCL is Bayern's to lose now.

WTF???

The remaining teams are Real, Atletico and Shitty, not Augsburg, Stuttgart and Hannover. Your post just makes you an excuse for a failure, not a realistic statement. Its a CL semifinal, so nothing is theirs to lose
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

Postby quaazi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 am

I'm more afraid of Augsburg than City tho.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Bayernbazi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:40 am

Glad to have reached another CL semi. I hope that those spells of distraction don't cost dearly.
Yet another couple of 1 on 1 situations from Costa and Lewa from which one would have expected something better especially from Lewa.
Lately there has also been some situations where our players seem to be bump into each other, not only in attack but midfield and also in defence. One example of this was when Costa had the ball on the wing and dribbled towards the middle and Alonso stepped in front of him, they both stopped and the ball went out on the other side of the pitch. I think from that throw-in Benfica started the action which resulted in Martinez's foul and yellow which gave them the freekick from which they scored.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby amaurer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:19 am

I think we should all be happy with this qualification and even with the match itself.
Yes we didnt' win 0-4 but like already discussed Benfica is a strong team at home. For me we did a solid performance and I don't know for you, but I was never stressed in front of my TV even after the first goal, and so was the team : they looked confident and didn't panic.
Benfica was never qualified during the 180 minutes.
Defensively, we can not do a lot on the 2 goals.... (maybe avoid the horrible foul of martinez) but the 1st one was a beatiful pass from nowhere, maybe a mistake from Neuer but hard to catch anyway.
We are in the semis, no-one is suspended, no additional injuries, barca is out, vidal is in god mode... smells pretty good even if Real is really back.

Even the costa one to one was good IMO, he played it very well and missed a bit of luck with the post. Just lewandoski should have scored and missed badely but he will be back :)
amaurer
Getting the hang of it

National Flag:
France

Postby MillaMjau » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Question: How did you see their first goal, when you were too late coming out and missed the cross?
Neuer: I should have stayed in the goal. Whether I would have stopped it had I stayed on my line is another question entirely. I saw that Raúl Jiménez would get to the ball first, so I made the decision to come out of my goal. In the end, I was a little bit too late.
Das Runde muss ins Eckige!
MillaMjau
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Finland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby rthebest » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:53 pm

hrosenberg33 wrote:Here's my view on things:

2) I'm disappointed in Pep removing Lewy from the lineup. He's an absolutely great manager but who takes out one of the top 3 strikers in the world in an elimination game? Sometimes I feel he tinkers with the lineup just to show everyone how brilliant he is. However, he's made a 3rd straight semi which is pretty amazing.
5) Xavi gets a nice golf clap for his long balls and menotromic control of the game.

Exclusion of Lewy was purely tactical. Pep wanted to have an unconventional striker who can keep defender guessing by his movements (i.e Muller) and late runners from midfield into the box.
- you mean Xabi right :)
rthebest
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Canada

Postby rthebest » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Dalv wrote:Neuer needs to get his shit together, he doesn't look like the best GK anymore with these flops

He has problem with these type of crosses.
rthebest
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Bayernfan09 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:42 pm

rthebest wrote:
hrosenberg33 wrote:Here's my view on things:

Exclusion of Lewy was purely tactical. Pep wanted to have an unconventional striker who can keep defender guessing by his movements (i.e Muller) and late runners from midfield into the box.

wasn't it also because lewa is on two yellows?
Bayernfan09
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby hrosenberg33 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm

rthebest wrote:

Fair point. I still think we win it with Lewy there but that's why he makes millions managing one of the top teams in Europe and I pay to watch them play.

Doh #-o yes Xabi not Xavi.....darn unconventional names!
hrosenberg33
Getting the hang of it

National Flag:
Canada

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:49 pm

Thomas Muller is now head and shoulders above any other German when it comes to scoring. The goal Muller scored yesterday was his 36th in the Champions League, which is 10 more than any other German.
When Arturo Vidal equalised, it was the first time he`d scored in back-to-back internationals since November 2013.
Benfica have scored 4 headed goals in the Champions League this season, a figure only beaten by Bayern Munich who have scored 6 times from headed efforts.
The aggregate win achieved last night, means that Bayern have reached the Champions League semi-finals in 6 of the last 7 seasons.
When Benfica made it 2-2, on the night, from a free-kick, it was their first goal in the Champions League direct from a free-kick since October 2011 when they scored against Basel.
IsiahRashad
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:51 pm

quaazi wrote:I'm more afraid of Augsburg than City tho.

That's a little exaggerated, don't you think?! :D

I agree though that City would probably be the best opponent for us at the moment...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League