You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-04-23] Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Real Madrid will win
7%
It will end in a draw
23%
Bayern Munich will win
70%

Total votes : 56

Re: [2014-04-23] Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:
Badger wrote:In lots of the media sources and on TV among the pundits and on forums, Bayern’s possession has been criticised. How shallow! Should Bayern have given Real more possession so that they would have had a few more chances on Neuer’s goal? If Bayern can’t convert possession into penetration and goals, it doesn’t mean that possession is fundamentally wrong.

You made a very good point there. But what I didn't like about our possession is that we played too slow. At first I thought it was a great idea, so we could dominate the whole game and tire their players. There was no need to risk possession and let them counter attack.

But then after being 1-0 down I was expecting more from our players in the second half. Only Robben tried to play it quicker. Our players usually calmed things down every time we had a minimum chance to counter attack and then Real players had time to position themselves and close every gap.

I would agree with much of what you say about slow-tempo possession. However, there are a couple of points that may be worth adding. Firstly, players rushing around may give the appearance of a fast tempo, but a pass is faster than a player running. A player may have a burst of speed in excess of 20km/h, but a pass will often be 10-20km/h faster than that. Secondly, when Real had two rows of four players defending their box, hurrying at them would often simply lose possession with no benefit. The time when Bayern would have benefitted best from a faster tempo and more running was when a Real Madrid counter broke down – in other words, countering their counterattacks.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby kod2600 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 pm

You might think I'm crazy but this week is reminding me of some good days, and I had this feeling since this morning, what feeling I'm talking about?
Remember when everybody said Manchester United are favorites in 2010 and somehow we got through?
Remember when it was 1-0 against Juventus and we finished the game 4-1 somehow and got through?
Remember when Bayern never was the favorites in such games? Against Madrid in 2012? or maybe they still believed in Barca magic last year before the first leg and still we weren't that huge favorites?
Remember when we always proved the media and predictions wrong?

In short, remember when we were the underdogs? I love this feeling.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm

kod2600 wrote:You might think I'm crazy but this week is reminding me of some good days, and I had this feeling since this morning, what feeling I'm talking about?
Remember when everybody said Manchester United are favorites in 2010 and somehow we got through?
Remember when it was 1-0 against Juventus and we finished the game 4-1 somehow and got through?
Remember when Bayern never was the favorites in such games? Against Madrid in 2012? or maybe they still believed in Barca magic last year before the first leg and still we weren't that huge favorites?
Remember when we always proved the media and predictions wrong?

In short, remember when we were the underdogs? I love this feeling.

Yes, we've turned around similar or worse results before, as recently as the Man United game a few weeks ago.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby envagyokazapad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Keeping possession is easier when you are playing at a lower pace, that's why people keep saying we should concede some of the possession. What they mean in reality is "we should do more with the ball" (=take more risks, hence give up some of the possession). However, since we can't defend at all, we can't afford to concede possession, hence why we are playing 'slow' and with no penetration whatsoever. It's almost like we are parking the bus (=since we do this to avoid conceding goals), except we are doing it through possession and not by, you know, actually parking the bus in front of our goal. :mrgreen:
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Postby YlonenXabi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Badger wrote:I would agree with much of what you say about slow-tempo possession. However, there are a couple of points that may be worth adding. Firstly, players rushing around may give the appearance of a fast tempo, but a pass is faster than a player running. A player may have a burst of speed in excess of 20km/h, but a pass will often be 10-20km/h faster than that. Secondly, when Real had two rows of four players defending their box, hurrying at them would often simply lose possession with no benefit. The time when Bayern would have benefitted best from a faster tempo and more running was when a Real Madrid counter broke down – in other words, countering their counterattacks.

Well, then maybe "fast tempo" is not the correct word. What I missed last night was more movement from our players. Most of the time they stayed static in an overcrowded central zone. I missed more quick combinations, more one-twos and more overlappings on the wings. And it's not like if we haven't played like that before.

But I guess that Ribery's poor form is another main reason for our lack of goalscoring chances.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby johndear » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:53 pm

let cheer guys!!!!!! On the two previous occasions that Real Madrid won the first leg of a UEFA Champions League knockout phase tie 1-0, they were eliminated – losing the return 2-0 to Juventus in the 1995/96 quarter-finals and the 2004/05 round of 16. [-X [-X

The only previous time Bayern lost the first leg of a UEFA Champions League knockout tie 1-0, against FC Basel 1893 in the 2011/12 round of 16, they recovered to triumph 7-0 at home – a record victory in the competition's knockout stages. =D> =D> =D> =D>
All's Fair In LOVE and WAR
johndear
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 pm

johndear wrote:let cheer guys!!!!!! On the two previous occasions that Real Madrid won the first leg of a UEFA Champions League knockout phase tie 1-0, they were eliminated – losing the return 2-0 to Juventus in the 1995/96 quarter-finals and the 2004/05 round of 16. [-X [-X

The only previous time Bayern lost the first leg of a UEFA Champions League knockout tie 1-0, against FC Basel 1893 in the 2011/12 round of 16, they recovered to triumph 7-0 at home – a record victory in the competition's knockout stages. =D> =D> =D> =D>

That is only through in the new format of the CL. I don't know about Real, but Bayern's record is still good if we also include the old European cup. Bayern have lost 1-0 away six times before and have only been eliminated once, in the semi-final against AC Milan in 1990. We had won the second leg 1-0 and it ended 2-1 after extra time, with us going out on away goals.

Our coach at the time was Jupp Heynckes.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Element » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Yesterday after the loss I was optimistic that we will make It

But now i am extremely pessimistic guys

If we dont play like after evras goal vs United,we are out
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Element wrote:Yesterday after the loss I was optimistic that we will make It

But now i am extremely pessimistic guys

If we dont play like after evras goal vs United,we are out

I am the other way round. Yesterday I was very pessimistic. I think it's hard to keep a clean sheet and hard to score 3. Now I still have doubts (how can you not with the way we've been playing!?) but I just have this very strong feeling we'll put in a performance to be remembered (for good not bad).
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

I won't put pressure on this team. My expectations of Bayern in this season are almost completed; Bundesliga - won, CL semi-finals - done, Pokal - need to win.

Even if we get kicked out of the CL, I won't have anything bad to say or complain. :| Guys are really having tough times and if they're not capable to break that Ancelotti's fortress - fine.

Next season we shall play for Berlin and get revenged for the final at München.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 pm

FCB general wrote:I won't put pressure on this team. My expectations of Bayern in this season are almost completed; Bundesliga - won, CL semi-finals - done, Pokal - need to win.

Even if we get kicked out of the CL, I won't have anything bad to say or complain. :| Guys are really having tough times and if they're not capable to break that Ancelotti's fortress - fine.

Next season we shall play for Berlin and get revenged for the final at München.

Same here. What disappoints me is that I know we can play better than yesterday. We'd have won on another night.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Same here. What disappoints me is that I know we can play better than yesterday. We'd have won on another night.

Some things aren't right, like Lahm last night when he didn't fauled that guy just before Cristiano recieved the ball or Boateng who didn't want to tackle in the box or Rafinha who can't cover a huge space on the pitch. Well, I can't blame Rafinha for goal, not at all. But some things wouldn't happened in that miserable action. That wasn't even a counter attack or half-counter attack, that was really cheap goal.

The action where Modrić pre-assisted and Cristiano missed very important ball for our team, now that's action in their[Real] style.

If I'm not mistaken, we didn't get a single yellow card last night, but we should have, a lot of them if it was neccessary.

Guardiola can't expect from Bayern to be a soft team and cheat, cry on the grass or somethin' what's usual for Spanish players, no...

Real played extraordinary defence last night, we are lucky with only that one goal. Too bad that Götze didn't pointed there when Modrić lost the ball near his goalout line.

But what we missed, that Robben show... I mean how sad... The Dutchman was playing alone and hasn't had any support by his teammates. I don't know why only Mandžukić was the only guy on the opponent's last third line where only Robben was getting there, as well... We should have 4-5 players there in the 'finish line', but we didn't.

Regarding Ribery... The guy is out of shape. He didn't get motivated of this Real Madrid, not at all. Frenchman's well-known agression, power on the left flank, that dribbling force, all those things completely missed on that match.

I haven't read all comments here, but I've made quick overview and seen Götze on the left wing. I agree that Mario should have started last night, I agree indeed.
Guardiola didn't do that, tough. Clearly, he didn't want to cause many negative comments, a lot of anger or surprising reactions from both media and fans. Putting Ribery the player is only who can be blamed. It was a decision to make less noise, with Götze would have been even worse.

When Bayern put Martinez in the game, everything changed back there. It's different when you have natural defensive midfielder despite the fact that Lahm can play really good, but he can't reach some basic things of CDM and that's why I think he must be placed back on the RB where he belongs and where he's always been the player of the world.

I don't feel mad, I don't feel sad and the same thing was last night after the match. I just don't know what to do against that teams.

I just know that our ball in the opponent's half is not enough fast. We don't play enough fast there, we don't challenge the luck, destiny, we need more balls and muscles out there.

We lost our aggression in this season, our defensive pressing, counter attacks and faster tempo, directness...

At least Guardiola was smart to use fullbacks again, and not the oldest football thing with halfs in the middle.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Real Madrid fans insulting Guardiola

Let's make them regret it Pep! I'm proud of the Real fans in the comments who disagreed with this attitude and said that they can win without this sort of thing.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm

^ I'm sure this is pretty normal in football.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League