You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-04-01] Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Manchester United will win
6%
It will end in a draw
8%
Bayern Munich will win
87%

Total votes : 53

[2014-04-01] Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

Postby MatchBot » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich
Manchester United vs Bayern Munich
Competition: UEFA Champions League
Venue: Old Trafford, Trafford

In the first leg of the Champions League 2013/14 quarterfinals, FC Bayern travel to Trafford to meet the English powerhouse of Manchester United, a club who's disappointing domestic season thus far was buoyed by the great comeback against Olympiakos in the Champions League last 16 stage.

There is much history between these two big teams, and now everything is at stake once again. FC Bayern will be missing the services of two central defenders, the long-term injured Badstuber as well as Dante, who is serving a one-match suspension after picking up his third yellow card.

Suspended: Dante (BM), Evra (MU)
One yellow away from suspension: Martínez (BM), Ferdinand (MU)

Previous encounters:
  • [2010-04-07] Manchester United 3 - 2 Bayern Munich (Champions League quarterfinal, 2nd leg)
  • [2010-03-30] Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Manchester United (Champions League quarterfinal, 1st leg)
  • [2009-07-30] Bayern Munich 0 - 0 (7 - 6 pens.) Manchester United (Audi Cup final)
  • [2004-07-25] Bayern Munich 0 - 0 (4 - 2 pens.) Manchester United (Friendly) (neutral stadium)
  • [2002-03-13] Manchester United 0 - 0 Bayern Munich (Champions League group stage)
  • [2001-11-20] Bayern Munich 1 - 1 Manchester United (Champions League group stage)
  • [2001-04-18] Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Manchester United (Champions League quarterfinal, 2nd leg)
  • [2001-04-03] Manchester United 0 - 1 Bayern Munich (Champions League quarterfinal, 2nd leg)
  • [1999-05-26] Manchester United 2 - 1 Bayern Munich (Champions League final)
  • [1998-12-09] Manchester United 1 - 1 Bayern Munich (Champions League group stage)
  • [1998-09-30] Bayern Munich 2 - 2 Manchester United (Champions League group stage)
MatchBot
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: [2014-04-01] Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

Postby Dalv » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Reaction to the quarter-final draw
Matthias Sammer: “It’s an extremely attractive draw against opponents who are struggling for consistency. But they showed they’re capable of great things in the Round of 16 second leg. The appropriate response for us is to remain modest and speak very, very respectfully about opponents who are still perfectly capable of football at the highest level on a good day. They’re extremely dangerous on good days, so we can’t allow them to have two good days. I regard the draw as manageable but dangerous. If you have the conviction and belief it doesn’t matter whether you play the first match at home or away.”

Philipp Lahm: “It’s a superb draw. It's a wonderful stadium with a terrific atmosphere and a history of great clashes. We can look forward to it. We’ll definitely go to Manchester intending to attack. We’re the holders and one of the big favourites to win the Champions League. But we mustn’t be deceived by United’s current position in the table. They have outstanding individual players. We’ll have to perform well and if we do, we'll have a good chance of making the semi-finals.”

Arjen Robben: “It’s a good draw and we’re away from home first. United aren’t in great shape but they’re still a top team. We face two very tough matches. The best thing about Manchester is the atmosphere. All of us are in the game for the chance of playing in an atmosphere like that. Old Trafford is very special indeed and we should enjoy it. The fans are a 12th man for Manchester United. Obviously they’re struggling in the Premier League this season but that counts for nothing in the Champions League. We have to be up for it from the start.“

Dante: “Robin van Persie is a world-class striker, but we have no need to fear United. We’re ready for them. We’ll need to be awake right from the start in Manchester. The atmosphere there is intimidating. They have plenty of experience in the squad, and world-class individuals. We have to be on our guard.”

Thomas Müller: “It was clear all the quarter-finals would be big games. There was no team in the draw where we would have said: oh yes, we’ll take them. United turned around their last 16 match against Piraeus with an outstanding performance. It shows they have the quality.“
Dalv
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Should be a special match for Thiago, i bet he still has the match ball signed by De Gea :lol:
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Added an exhaustive previous encounters list, manually. Hope you appreciate that we've always had the last laugh since this millenium started :)

Can't see tweet? Click here!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 pm

I had no idea the match would be played as close as 12 days' time. Finally a match to look forward to, quite probably played just 7 days after winning the Bundesliga.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Old Trafford without last season's top 2 CDs, Dante and Badstuber. Under normal circumstances, this would have been a nightmare for Bayern fans, but I hope they don't become too arrogant and overconfident now.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Badger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes, let's not be too arrogant. Bayern have a long history of losing key Champions League matches to inferior opponents. Bayern should progress comfortably, but I doubt whether they will whop Manchester United in both games.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby Cazorla » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Moyes' reaction after he got to know the draw. =D>
Spoiler: show
Cazorla
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm

United play at home to Aston Villa on 29th March at 12.45pm British time, 3 days before the match. Then sandwiched between the two legs they play away to Newcastle on 5th April at 3pm British time.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 pm

FC Bayern are favourites to win this away match, according to various bookmakers, and heavy favourites to qualify to the semifinals over both legs. The match has been added to our predictions game. Gentlemen (and ladies), start your predictions!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Well in all cases except one (2002), we have reached the final whenever we played Man United.
In all cases except one (2005), we have won the Champions League whenever we played Arsenal.

The omens are certainly good.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby runaway » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Moyes knew it all along. That's why he has been scouting us for months.

In the Bald duo I trust to give our team a pep-talk and sammer motivation.
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Should be a special match for Thiago, i bet he still has the match ball signed by De Gea :lol:

Didn't know anything about this, had to look it up. I bet he now regrets writing that message he left him on that ball.

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:00 pm

I knew it! I predicted it in the draw thread even before ManUre classified... :P

Of course, we are gonna get Real Mandrills in the semis! (sorry Borusse, but you guys got no chance this time, not with all the injuries/suspensions at least)
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby Cathe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 pm

This match is the day after I get home from a convention so i'm going to be poor (so if the chance for me to grab a ticket arises like it did against City, I don't think I could go). I might, however, get the train into Manchester in the daytime and buy a match scarf :D
Bayern - Anime - Gaming - Takarazuka
Cathe
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to UEFA Champions League