You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-04-01] Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Manchester United will win
6%
It will end in a draw
8%
Bayern Munich will win
87%

Total votes : 53

Re: [2014-04-01] Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

Postby MUTU » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm

MaCk0y wrote:You guys worry too much. :P For the next game, there is no need for the whole team to be in the last quarter of the opponent's pitch. The defense can play deeper and even employ a counter attack strategy (although I think Bayern forgot how :P). As long as we don't concede an early goalner, we should be fine.

We can't play too defensive though. Imagine if it's 0-0 after say 75 minutes, I'd be biting my fingernails with the tension because they'd only need one goal to take them through.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby kod2600 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:20 pm

I honestly don't hate Manchester United, matter of fact I like them, and I know it's a crime for a Bayern fan to say that (I was a little kid when the 1999 final took place =p) but I'm very very annoyed because of the game, and especially all the people (not only United fans) who's talking trash about Bayern right now, not to mention the dirty British media. I just hope...I pray that we ***** rape them at the Allianz Arena. A one goal difference victory won't satisfy me...at all.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby smaw2010 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:21 pm

MUTU wrote:
MaCk0y wrote:You guys worry too much. :P For the next game, there is no need for the whole team to be in the last quarter of the opponent's pitch. The defense can play deeper and even employ a counter attack strategy (although I think Bayern forgot how :P). As long as we don't concede an early goalner, we should be fine.

We can't play too defensive though. Imagine if it's 0-0 after say 75 minutes, I'd be biting my fingernails with the tension because they'd only need one goal to take them through.

Bayern never plays defensive, Bayern aren't particularly good in defense or offense. They can't defend like Chelsea or attack like Man City. The thing is, Bayern only struggles with teams who defend, not those who attack. Man Utd will surely attack as they need a goal. This creates more space for Robben and Ribery to make plays. With Dante back, I'm sure the defense will be better. Rafinha played a good game and I'm sure that Lahm and Kroos should be fine for the midfield. On the other hand, Fellani was terrible. Next game the boys will be playing in their familiar environment with Bayern fans behind, and there will be no wet grass. There is no reason to worry about Bayern.
smaw2010
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Lukas wrote:This is exactly the sort of situation I didn't want. the British media are now hailing United's "spirit" and "fight" and suddenly Moyes is a tactical genius for doing what teams used to do to them, pack 10 players behind the ball. In some reports they even see United as favourites because of our poor performancs at home in the second leg in recent years

I'd be happy if their management acts the same way as their media and fans. Let them convince themselves they're as good as Bayern. We'll sit here laughing at them as they think they're good enough and go on a league-less run longer than Liverpool's.

United83 wrote:It's not the 'classic Man United fan reaction' dude. It's just one mindless 'fan' mouthing off who doesn't even mention that he supports United, meaning he could just be anti-Bayern. Either way there are idiot fans supporting absolutely every team in the world, including Bayern.

Hence the "fan" in inverted commas. ;)
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kod2600 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:24 pm

@smaw2010
Or they can play it defensively again and just gamble. You know they're playing Away this time, so if they need a goal (and they do) they might try to get it the same way they did in Manchester.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 pm

kod2600 wrote:@smaw2010
Or they can play it defensively again and just gamble. You know they're playing Away this time, so if they need a goal (and they do) they might try to get it the same way they did in Manchester.

If they play this way and Bayern lose I'd blame ourselves. If you park the bus you'll only win the ball if the opponents attack. With the current scoreline Bayern can just pass the ball around in their own half and retain possession, forcing Man United to "break" the bus and come forward.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:32 pm

kod2600 wrote:@smaw2010

This. I am expecting Moyes to use the same tactics because that's the only way they can hurt us. And why not if Bayern play the same again with a very high line of defense. Hopefully Pep will use a different strategy.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:40 pm

smaw2010 wrote:Bayern only struggles with teams who defend, not those who attack. Man Utd will surely attack as they need a goal.

The question is, when will they attack?

Really and truly, they'd be on a suicide mission if they attack all match and I'm sure they're smarter than that. What if they defend deep for 75 mins or so, keep a clean sheet and then suddenly pour forward? It's a tactic that could work for them. It's what I'd try if I was Moyes.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Borusse wrote:How about you don't shoot at all then? What if goalkeeper saves it and you'll lose possesion?! That would be unforgiveable!

:lol:

I think Bayern don't have enough creativity in the middle. Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Messi in Barcelona are more creative players than Schweinsteiger, Kroos and Lahm. Your most creative midfielder - Thiago - is injured. Schweini and Kroos are players who control the tempo of the game, they dont usually play awesome through balls, they're most known for their distribution to the wings and shots.

Notice that your game still depends very much on Ribery and Robben to deliver the performance.

Going to answer on this thread because I'm going to refer to last night's game.

I don't really think we have problems with creativity, but at the moment almost all if not all of our midfielders are underperforming, and have been doing so for a few games now.

Even so, we can't really blame lack of creativity or a "parked bus" for yesterday's draw. I don't know whether you watched our game or Barca's yesterday, but even with so many United players in the box we still created a lot of chances (16 attempts I believe). I know it's not all statistics and sometimes attempts aren't anywhere close to threatening, but Element and I counted at least 3 or 4 chances where we can blame no one but ourselves for not scoring, irrespective of how many players were in the box. There was Muller's chance in the first half where he missed the ball, and another in the second half where Robbery made a brilliant combination to cut through the defence and Ribery sent in a pass to the middle, but Mandzukic wasn't positioned well to receive the ball. I think Gomez would've scored the latter, but let's not go into that.

I myself criticized Pep for not responding to United's style after the game yesterday, but now that some time has passed I think it might have been a bit unfair to do so. First of all, we've almost always won against teams who parked the bus against us, except the infamous 2012 final and yesterday's game, both of which we did not lose in regular time. In both cases, it was a corner that took us down, not a quick counterattack. Some food for though I think. You might want to include Inter in 2010 too but I think that the better team won on that night.

Secondly, you can't blame Pep if the players are not scoring some of these very dangerous chances we had, or if De Gea was playing very well (remember Robben's attempt?). Now that I think about it we still had more than enough chances to win the game even with the way our opponents played. I still think Pep could have shaken things up a bit to try and turn the game in our favour. I was disappointed that he didn't give a chance to Shaqiri, and I'm still perplexed by his decision to not start with Mandzukic. I also think he needs to reintroduce long shots in our game, like I said in an earlier post. Boateng took a very good shot in the second half, prompting a save from De Gea, and he is not even one of our best long-range shooters.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 pm

I think we are spoiled because of the success of our team. On any other season we would've been happy coming back to Munich with an 1-1 away result against a team like ManU. We are so spoiled that it is inconceivable to get through without winning in style and we panic when we don't see it happening. I don't want to get overconfident here, but we are in fairly good shape. We play at home against an inferior team that has to chase the game, which will likely play to our advantage. Now, it's not like ManU cannot pull a historical upset on us, but we do have the upper edge here and by far.

I know the rationale in the forum is "we were invincible last time and we are even better now, so we should win the CL with 100% certainty;" but this is football and there is never absolute certainty or confidence in anything. It's actually what makes this sport great and exciting. Our players need to be aware of this (I'm completely sure Pep is), play to our strengths, not panic, defend well, if we want to make it through though.
Last edited by walter on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby MUTU » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm

In 1998 we drew 1-1 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final.
In 2010 we lost 3-2 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final.
In 2014 we drew 1-1 at Old Trafford.

:coffee:
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm

walter wrote:I think we are spoiled but the success of our team. On any other season we would've been happy coming back to Munich with an 1-1 away result against a team like ManU. We are so spoiled that it is inconceivable to get through without winning in style and we panic when we don't see it happening. I don't want to get overconfident here, but we are in fairly good shape. We play at home against an inferior team that has to chase the game which likely play to our advantage. Now, it's not like ManU cannot pull a historical upset on us, but we do have the upper edge here and by far.

I know the rationale in the forum is "we were invincible last time and we are even better now, so we should win the CL with 100% certainty;" but this is football and there is never absolute certainty or confidence in anything. It's actually what makes this sport great and exciting. Our players need to be aware of this (I'm completely sure Pep is), play to our strengths, not panic, defend well, if we want to make it through though.

Completely agree, but it was always going to happen because we've grown accustomed to ending the tie in the first leg or almost.

2011/12:
Round of 16 first leg, lost 1-0 away to Basel, then won the return 7-0.
Quarter-final: won 2-0 in the first leg against Marseille.
Semi-final: won 2-1 at home against Real Madrid in the first leg.

2012/13:
Round of 16: beat Arsenal 3-1 away from home in the first leg.
Quarter-final: beat Juve 2-0 at home in the first leg.
Semi-final: beat Barcelona 4-0 at home in the first leg.

2013/14:
Round of 16: beat Arsenal 2-0 away from home in the first leg.
Quarter-final: drew 1-1 away against Man United.

You can see that although it's a good result (and way better than the one in Switzerland 2 years ago), it's been a long time since we didn't win the first leg of a knockout round. It's a good result for us, but these past two years I'd say the only time I wasn't sure we would qualify after the first leg was vs Real Madrid, and that had still been a win.

I agree that there is no reason to panic though. We are likely to qualify for the next round.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

MUTU wrote:In 1998 we drew 1-1 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final.
In 2010 we lost 3-2 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final.

:coffee:

EDIT:

In 1998 we drew 1-1 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final, and lost the final to an English club
In 2010 we lost 3-2 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final, and lost the final to an English club

PSG [-o< :lol:
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:13 pm

MUTU wrote:In 2010 we lost 3-2 at Old Trafford, and made it all the way to the final, and lost the final to an English club

I don't believe you. Resign from admin and fan club representative immediately. [-X

:mrgreen:
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

That's it, I've officially lost it! I hereby renounce myself from the position of Site Admin.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League