You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-05-01] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm

FC Barcelona will win
11%
It will end in a draw
21%
Bayern Munich will win
68%

Total votes : 53

Re: [2013-05-01] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby Commodore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm

MUTU wrote:On the other hand, if we weaken our backline I still trust our forwards to score at least one goal, which means that Barcelona would need to score not 4 but 6 or more (depending on how many goals we score). And they won't realistically score 6.

Well you see the point is that offense and defense aren't independent concepts. They never really were but this is getting more and more true in today's game, which is best described as Total Football 3.0. Like I said in the other thread, Dante is way more important than just "being a defensive player".

MUTU wrote:IIWJ (If I Was Jupp), I would play this formation:

If we manage to score, I'd immediately sub out Lahm and Schweinsteiger for Rafinha and Tymoshchuk respectively. If we're down 2-0, I'd sub in Dante and possibly Martinez. Seriously, the above starting formation is good enough not to let Barcelona come back from 4-0.

IIWJ, huh? Good question. The better question, in my opinion though is: WWJD (What Would Jupp Do?) I don't think there is a chance in hell that Dante will sit on the bench. Mandžukić and Müller will take care of Busquets. Martínez and Schweinsteiger will keep tabs on Xavi and Iniesta. Ribéry and Robben will help form a bank of four and they will plug holes when needed just as they did so well in the first leg. Same goes for Müller and Mandžukić once Barca are advanced further, seein as Busquets never really advances too far.

Now: not 100% or not, there's still a certain Argentinian midget who we'll have to deal with. this is where Dante comes into play. You simply don't leave your best defender out of the game when you're playing against the consecutively four times Ballon D'or winning, best player of all time.

Remember, Camp Nou is a huge ass pitch. They will have more space than they did in Munich (as we will have more, too, on the counter/quick transitional/combinational play). We'll get our chances, but they will have the ball at least 65% of the time.

tl;dr: Dante must play (as does Martínez)
"There are two things I am afraid of: War and Oliver Kahn."

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby AvatarX » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Agree with Commodore. Barca may have lost 4-0, but they have all the quality needed to make the impossible.

Go full strength and if everything according to the plan make some subs at 60-65 minute.
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 pm

walter wrote:I wish we had Kroos now, dang it...

Yea he could have filled in for Schwein for the second leg, since he is probably the only replacement Bayern has for him at the moment....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby raz25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 pm

I might be wrong here but as far as I know Lahm and Dante have been in danger of suspension for 3 games in a row now. Two games with Juve and now Barca and not getting booked just shows they are very much aware of what another yellow would mean. With 4-0 advantage I trust them to continue this run.

The ones I'm worried about are, well, the remaining obviously :). Schweinsteiger and Martinez have 5 yellows so far so it just shows how prone they are to get booked. Schweini would be a big blow, he's the only player in the squad that we can't compensate for, but he has to play. Remember we are playing Barcelona. Even though they are not in their best form, these guys have the win in them and they will put us under immense pressure in the 1st half. We need Schweinsteiger for those moments.

I would also star with Gustavo instead of Martinez. Gustavo missing the final would still be a blow, he is a very good option if we want to close the game, but at the end of the day Martinez simply offers more. Sorry Gus.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:

Yea he could have filled in for Schwein for the second leg, since he is probably the only replacement Bayern has for him at the moment....

exactly why.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby raz25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:41 pm

walter wrote:
Firefox1234 wrote:

exactly why.

Yeah he did great 2nd leg vs Arsenal.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm

raz25 wrote:Yeah he did great 2nd leg vs Arsenal.

Do some research before you speak my friend, Martinez and Gustavo were the midfield duo in that game :P

Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Kalev » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Guys, don't worry so much. We have also in the goal Neuer, he will do a wonderful saves differently barcas Victor. Lahm knows how to evoid yellow cards, he takes only tactically cards when players are out of positsion. Martinez and Dante also are not that dirty. Schweinsteiger got idiot card in Allianz, and he worries me the most. I think we will get 3-4 time booked. Boateng, Alaba, Müller, Ribery can take yellow cards. At the moment our wingers make hard work in defence also. We will get booked only if barca makes counter attack, if their doing tika-taka we have no problem to stop their offence. All we have to do in Camp Nou is to avoid early goal what gives barcelona some believe. If 30 minutes is gone and score is 0:0 or we are leading then they get nervous and game shoud be ours and we can rest booked players 4 Dortmund match :)
And barca have more problems than us. Their defence is like Opel - always broken. If i remember right, then Bayern have scored in every single away game this season.
Kalev
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby raz25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Do some research before you speak my friend, Martinez and Gustavo were the midfield duo in that game :P

I very well remember that game my friend, and it doesn't matter. Schweini was missing and he was supposed to step up, he didn't.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Commodore wrote:IIWJ, huh? Good question. The better question, in my opinion though is: WWJD (What Would Jupp Do?) I don't think there is a chance in hell that Dante will sit on the bench. Mandžukić and Müller will take care of Busquets. Martínez and Schweinsteiger will keep tabs on Xavi and Iniesta. Ribéry and Robben will help form a bank of four and they will plug holes when needed just as they did so well in the first leg. Same goes for Müller and Mandžukić once Barca are advanced further, seein as Busquets never really advances too far.

Now: not 100% or not, there's still a certain Argentinian midget who we'll have to deal with. this is where Dante comes into play. You simply don't leave your best defender out of the game when you're playing against the consecutively four times Ballon D'or winning, best player of all time.

I understand your points, but I still disagree. Besides, you don't have to compare Dante vs van Buyten. You'll have to compare a scared (that he'd lose the final) Dante vs van Buyten (who stands a decent chance of getting the all-important away goal from a corner)

Commodore wrote:Remember, Camp Nou is a huge ass pitch. They will have more space than they did in Munich (as we will have more, too, on the counter/quick transitional/combinational play). We'll get our chances, but they will have the ball at least 65% of the time.

According to Wikipedia, it's the exact same field dimensions (105m x 68m) as our very own Allianz Arena, so we should feel pretty comfortable about it.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Commodore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Hmm that's interesting. Everybody and their dad say Camp Nou is a huge pitch. Thomas Müller even said so in an interview. Fine with me. If our players have "huge pitch, must run more" in their head, but it's actually the same size. :D
"There are two things I am afraid of: War and Oliver Kahn."

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 pm

raz25 wrote:I very well remember that game my friend, and it doesn't matter. Schweini was missing and he was supposed to step up, he didn't.

How was he supposed to take over for Schwein when Jupp didnt even ask him to play in Schwein's position? He was placed at his usual AM role not to take over for Schwein that was Martinez's job......

Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby MUTU » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 pm

It's possibly in the perception it gives you in the way it's built. By the way, 105m x 68m is the largest pitch size that is allowed for UEFA and German competitions by the current rules, which means that unless we're playing some friendly against a team from another continent (eg Club World Cup) it's very very unlikely we'll play on a pitch larger than the one at the Allianz Arena.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby raz25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:How was he supposed to take over for Schwein when Jupp didnt even ask him to play in Schwein's position? He was placed at his usual AM role not to take over for Schwein that was Martinez's job......

Just because player B is replacing player A in a lineup doesn't mean they have the same jobs on the field. Schweinsteiger is the boss on the pitch he's covering multiple positions all the time during the game. I'd love to see Martinez one day to be able to boss the midfield like him but he was (is) still just a new player so we'll have to wait a bit. So, that game when Schweinsteiger was missing, we kind of expected Kroos to show some of Schweini skills. And hid did try it, I remember him for example dropping multiple times during the game starting the attack with the CBs but he made many mistakes. He couldn't hold the ball for more than 5s, he lost possession lots of times and he kind of chickened out (but the whole team was below par so I'll give him that excuse).

Don't get me wrong, Kroos has all the physical skills to be like Schweini (he needs to improve his defensive skills further though) but he lacks that aura, that sense of reliance that you receive when Schweini has the ball. He's still very young and playing next to Schweini a few more years will help him get there too.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Postby BMpenang » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 pm

They will not do anything impossible.

This barcelona team has been riding their luck in this competition this year and they learned their lesson with us.

We can score goals at their stadium even if they play at their very best.

We are not the same team that lost 0-4 when we last visited nou camp but they are almost the same team.

JH should rest schweini who is more than capable of getting a yc if he plays there.
BMpenang
Yeah, now I'm talking!

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League