You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2012-09-19] Bayern Munich vs Valencia CF

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Bayern Munich will win
98%
It will end in a draw
No votes
Valencia CF will win
2%

Total votes : 41

Re: [2012-09-19] Bayern Munich vs Valencia CF

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 am

MaCk0y wrote:Maybe we could 'avoid' some of the penalties instead since we can't score them. IMO, it wasn't a penalty on Robben. The player barely touched him; he just dived as soon as he was close to him. A shot by Robben on target would have been more dangerous, who knows a mistake from the goalie, a deflection or a rebound from Mandzukic would have been far more dangerous than the penalty kick. :P

It's a real paradox that a shot from a marked Robben just outside the box could be more dangerous than a penalty kick. Maybe for the next PK we should request for a wall of players or someone marking the penalty taker?
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MoFattal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Regarding the penalty, I think they wanted to give Mandzukic a chance to score on his debut and extend his streak, as it was almost full time anyway. It's a shame he couldn't score.

I'd say let us miss as much penalties as we can early on, so that when the "important" one comes by, we can score it :D
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 am

We do not have a penalty kick problem. That's ridiculous. A little more than 80% of all penalties are converted, consequently a little less than 20% are not. The rest is just variance.

Also, the whole "German Teams Don't Miss Penalties" thing is at worst a myth and at best a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People tend to put too much emphasis on events that are influenced significantly by chance. Sure, we're not flipping a coin when taking a penalty, and there is skill involved. But if yesterday Mandzukic would have taken his penalty the exact same way as he did, but the goalie had jumped into the other direction, no one would have mentioned a thing. Maybe someone would have even said it was a well taken penalty, which it clearly wasn't, but I hear people say that all the time (especially TV commentators): Penalty converted: Well taken. Penalty missed: Badly taken. It simply doesn't work that way.
"There are two things I am afraid of: War and Oliver Kahn."

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am

Commodore wrote:Also, the whole "German Teams Don't Miss Penalties" thing is at worst a myth and at best a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes, it is a myth:

european-matches-f5/champions-league-2012-2013-t8686-630.html#p184769
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby Ryyan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:53 pm

What on earth is going on here :evil: ...we played a perfect match we dominated completely yet you guy are criticising some players...Boateng was very good,Dante was amazing everyone played a very good game..our dominance just did not reflected the scoresheet
Ryyan
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tflags » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm

I think we went into the game being too confident. Kroos had a heck of a game, AFTER he missed that clear shot ~6 mins into the first half. I am surprised we are about three pages full of comments and not a single mention of Pizza's performance which I think was below par. Maybe he just needs more match practice.

Well, I am not surprised at the less than gracious scoreline, but between Barza, Madrid and Bayern at least we know how to put this particular visitor in its right place, do we not?

BTW, I hated how Mandman missed that penalty. I swear I was so raged last night I was about to go to his house; I kid you not.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm

What about Pizarro's performance did you not like?

Do you think we should sell Mandzukic?

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby tflags » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Commodore wrote:What about Pizarro's performance did you not like?

Is 'stiff' a football term? He was a bit slow on his first contacts and later he dissapeared unlike Mandman who turns into a ball rescue tool and/or a bona fied winger every time the ball crosses into attacking midfield.

Do you think we should sell Mandzukic?

Nah, not just yet. I'll wait until he misses another one this time in the CL final this year.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby quaazi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Pizza has showed good glimpses in his sub appearances, so maybe that's what his role should be instead.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Commodore wrote:What about Pizarro's performance did you not like?

Reverting the question, there was something you liked in Pizarro's performance last night?

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Pizarro positioned himself intelligently. Offensively as well as defensively. Together with mainly Kroos he utterly disrupted Valencia's buildup play, often forcing Alves to go for the long ball, which clearly they don't want to play against our midfield and CBs, as in this area we had the undisputed air superiority and won just about every header.

He was very good when backward pressing and he won three or four balls like that if I recall it correctly.

We've played against defensive sides this year, but so far we had not yet played against a side that was as competent defensively as Valencia yesterday. You simply won't see a lot of flashy action from a center forward against teams like that. At least not if you never take your eyes off the player who has the ball.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Commodore wrote:We've played against defensive sides this year, but so far we had not yet played against a side that was as competent defensively as Valencia yesterday.

This much is definitely true. I didn't really pay attention to how Pizarro performed defensively (I was watching 4 other games so just after an attack ended I usually turned my attention to another one). Offensive wise I don't think he was ever a real threat though, which is surprising because in his short appearances he always comes close to scoring.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Defensively, Pizarro did more than enough. He tracked back constantly and won a handful of balls. On the offensive end, though, his touch was pretty heavy and was often one step forward/backward from a pass.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Bazi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Well to be fair Pizarro had by far the hardest defensive line to play against out of all our matches in the season.

After all Valencia only lost 0-1 in Barcelona and drawn 1-1 in Madrid so they are a quality side defensively.

In my personal opinion he did fine but not extraordinary. When Mandzukic was subbed he struggled his fair bit, too.
Bazi
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby BayernLove » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Simple fact is they tried and half-failed to do a Chelsea. Which sucks about the "half" part.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Jordan

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League