You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2008-11-25] Bayern Munich vs Steaua Bucharest

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Who will win?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Bayern into the next round!
100%
Stupid draw, Bayern still advances
No votes
Steaua gets some hope for the UEFA Cup
No votes

Total votes : 12

[2008-11-25] Bayern Munich vs Steaua Bucharest

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:04 pm

The penultimate group stage game for Bayern takes place tomorrow at the Allianz Arena. No need to break down the math, a point is enough for Bayern to reach the next round. The team should hopefully be fresh after cruising through the last half hour vs Cottbus, and Poldi should be back in the lineup. I think I heard Micho's injury was not serious on Saturday and he should be back as well.

What do you guys think about the lineup for this? Having won away from home with a Ribery-less squad already, and with Leverkusen coming up on Saturday some rotation (Lell/Oddo, Borowski/Ze, Kroos/Schweini) might not be a bad thing. Or at least Klinsi should make some early subs if we can get a comfortable lead by half-time. I don't want to risk getting embarrassed, but straight up Leverkusen will most likely be a much harder game and I think we've got enough strength in depth to deal with Bucharest and get at least a point at home, no? Hopefully Fiorentina can do us a favor and we can take first place in the group. (Though even if that happens I think it would still be possible for Lyon to overtake us by winning on matchday 6.) Thoughts? Predictions?
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: [25-11-08] Bayern Munich vs Steaua Bucharest

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:14 am

This is goal.com's prediction for the match. For me personally, I think a 4-0 like the one predicted below may be a little over zealous, but I think Bayern should see this one through comfortably enough.

Matchday 5 in Group F sees the return game between Bayern Munich and Steaua Bucharest, with the German side needing just a single point to secure their passage through to the knock-out stage.

On the Cusp

The action is coming thick and fast for Bayern with one important match following hot on the heels of another right now. Having produced a rampant display at the weekend against Cottbus, the Bavarians now face Steaua in the Champions League before taking on Bayer Leverkusen in a top-of-the-table clash next weekend in the Bundesliga.

However, their attention is 100% focused on the Champions League at the moment - and the point they need to make it through to the next phase. Having beaten Steaua in their opening Group F fixture, Bayern then drew with Lyon and beat Fiorentina at the Allianz Arena.

The point they secured at the Artemio Franchi stadium in the last round of matches in Florence has seen them move into a great position in the group and means they require just a draw on Tuesday to guarantee progress. Both they and Lyon have eight points.

A month ago all the talk was of a possible ‘crisis’ at Bayern, but it now appears likely that the German side will take their place in the last 16 and finish as Winter champions in the Bundesliga.

The defence seems to have become a lot more solid, Franck Ribéry is back to his best and Miroslav Klose has started to look like the world-class striker he can be.

“The Steaua game is unbelievably important,” coach Jürgen Klinsmann admits. “We have a huge opportunity to book a place in the last sixteen of the Champions League. Everything we’re doing from this moment onwards is focused on one thing, Steaua Bucharest.

“Steaua have quality, and in a one-off game, you've always got a chance. We have to be switched on and fully committed to ensure there are no slip-ups” he added.

Stuck In A Rut

If Bayern Munich are coming into form at the moment, the exact opposite can be said of Romanian side Steaua Bucharest. Their last victory came way back on 21 September and although they are in 5th place in their national league, they already find themselves eight points behind leaders Unirea Urziceni.

Dorinel Munteanu’s side have drawn their last five games and just don’t seem capable of winning right now. The Bucharest outfit travel to Munich knowing they have no chance of getting through to the knock-out phase, but they do still have the chance to finish third which would see them secure a berth in the latter stages of this season’s Uefa Cup.

Even though Steaua have yet to register a win in Group F, they will take a little heart from the way they played in their opener with Bayern, when a first-half goal from Daniel van Buyten was all that separated the two sides. The home team spurned a few chances of their own and could well have taken something from the game.

They held Fiorentina to a goalless draw in Florence on Matchday 2 before losing both their games against perennial French champions Lyon (5-3 at home and 2-0 away). The Italian side however are only two points ahead of them so it is still mathematically possible for them to grab third place.

The pressure is therefore already on new coach Dorinel Munteanu, who replaced Marius Lacatus after he was fired in the wake of the 5-3 loss to Lyon. Owner Gigi Becali is famed for firing his coaches and failure to reach the Uefa Cup may (unfairly) cost the current Steaua boss his job.

“Our objective is to qualify for the knockout rounds of the Uefa Cup,” he explained to uefa.com. “We want to show our best side. It's important for us that our players perform to the maximum of their abilities.

“It's a difficult match. Bayern are favourites, but our players are focused and well-prepared. We have respect for Bayern, but there's no fear” he added.

FORM GUIDE

Bayern Munich

22/11/08 v Energie Cottbus (h) WON 4-1 (Bundesliga)

15/11/08 v Bor.Mönchengladbach (a) DREW 2-2 (Bundesliga)

09/11/08 v Schalke (a) WON 1-2 (Bundesliga)

05/11/08 v Fiorentina (a) DREW 1-1 (Champions League)

01/11/08 v Arminia Bielefeld (h) WON 3-1 (Bundesliga)

29/10/08 v Eintracht Frankfurt (a) WON 1-2 (Bundesliga)

Steaua Bucharest

21/11/08 v Universitatea Craiova (a) DREW 0-0 (Liga 1)

15/11/08 v FC Timisoara (h) DREW 2-2 (Liga 1)

09/11/08 v FC Rapid Bucharest (a) DREW 0-0 (Liga 1)

05/11/08 v Olympique Lyonnais (a) LOST 2-0 (Champions League)

01/11/08 v Dinamo Bucharest (a) DREW 1-1 (Liga 1)

26/10/08 v Gloria Buzau (h) DREW 1-1 (Liga 1)

TEAM NEWS

Bayern Munich

Lukas Podolski looks set to win his fitness battle for Tuesday’s clash with Steaua, but it remains to be seen whether that means a return to the bench or whether he will actually get a start.

There is, however, a slight question-mark over centre-back Martin Demichelis. The Argentine scored at the weekend in Bayern’s 4-1 win over Cottbus, but had to be substituted at half-time because of a muscle problem. Daniel van Buyten is on hand to deputise should he miss out.

It remains to be seen whether Hamit Altintop makes an appearance on the substitutes' bench after his long-awaited return to training this week following his injury. Klinsmann may opt to make a few changes bearing in mind that a point will do, and with a very important clash with Bayer Leverkusen coming up at the weekend.

Probable Starting XI: Rensing, Oddo, Lucio, Demichelis, Lahm, van Bommel, Zé Roberto, Schweinsteiger, Ribéry, Klose, Toni

Steaua Bucharest

Coach Dorinel Munteanu will have to do without the services of defender George Ogăraru after the Romanian international suffered an ankle injury in the recent friendly with Georgia. He will be on the sidelines until at least January.

Nigerian defender Ifeanyi Emeghara is also missing with a serious knee injury which has seem him miss the entire season so far. Greek striker Pantelis Kapetanos will miss the trip to Munich with adductor strain.

Probable Starting XI: Zapata, Golanski, Goian, Ghionea, Marin, Tiago Gomes, Radoi, Moreno, Nicolita, Semedo, Stancu

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Bayern Munich- Franck Ribéry

Suffering injury during Euro 2008 meant that Franck Ribéry missed the start of the season as Bayern made their worst start to a Bundesliga campaign for many years. His return to the team has seen an upturn in the Bavarians' fortunes - and that is no coincidence. In the past few games he has been back to his dazzling best and producing the kind of form that had him voted Player of the Year last season in the Bundesliga. Given the chance, he could run riot against Steaua, meaning that Klose and Toni can fill their boots.

Steaua Bucharest- Mirel Rădoi

It isn’t so much an uphill struggle for Steaua to go to the Allianz Arena and win, as a climb up a Bavarian mountain. If they are to produce a shock they will be looking towards captain Rădoi for inspiration. The 27-year-old is the current cult hero at the Carpathian club and will want to help his side reach the consolation prize of the Uefa Cup.

PREDICTION

Bayern may well just need a point on Tuesday to make sure of their place in the knock-out stage of the competition, but it is very difficult to imagine them taking any less than three points from this game. Steaua are struggling domestically and can’t seem to buy a win in Liga 1 right now, having drawn their last five matches.

Bayern are coming into form with star-man Franck Ribéry in scintillating form of late. The only thing that can stop Bayern winning this is complacency, but I fully expect to see a professional approach and for them to progress in some style - and with a hatful of goals, perhaps.

Bayern Munich 4-0 Steaua Bucharest

Mathew Burt
Hawkeye
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby shwas55 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 pm

We should get couple of goals early then rest Ze, Ribery, and shweini in the second half, we need them fresh for bayer's match.
I hope Breno and Kroos get a start.
shwas55
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:47 pm

I hope that Kroos, Breno, Lell will start. Sosa, Ottl and Poldi[if he will be able to play]/Boro should be our subs :D Bayern to win 3:1

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Steaua have been in a terrible form lately , they changed the coach , some of you might know the new coach , its Munteanu who used to play in the BL for Wolfsburg and some other teams.But he didnt bring improvement , they havent won in the last 12 matches and are only on a dissapointing 6th place in the Romanian league so far.So it should be a clear win , as I dont think that Lyon will win in Italy we would only need a draw out of the last match in France to go on to the knock-out stage as first placed.I hope Ribery and/or Toni get to score their first goal in the CL as well. :)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Raphael Sanzio » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 pm

I've got a question and i need a straightforward answer: if you're all so sure of Bayern winning this match, shouldn't you supposed to be betting every penny you own in BWIN?
Raphael Sanzio
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby Zapatista » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:37 pm

stupid question
Zapatista
Getting the hang of it

Postby shwas55 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Great win, Clean sheets.

To sum it all:

Ribery + Klose: Results

Klose: 1 assist, 2 goals

Ribery: 2 assists
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby walter » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:18 pm

what a display from Klose, he owned the Steaua defense. Good to see him back to his best. He provided enough balls for Toni to score 5; too bad the Italian has lost his razor sharp precision lately.
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Congrats to Toni for his first ever CL goal!!! Klose was just great! Oddo too. Lahm was good. Ribery too. Klose- 2+1 :o He showed his BEST quality. We should draw 1:1 at Lyon or win to secure 1st place in group!

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby KieranD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:23 am

good game first half not so good we did average missed a few but the second half was us down to a tee, it was bayern at the best klose on fire and even toni made up with a goal
ribery supplied and gave the defence a terrible time, van bommel was actually okay did his job and if he plays like that most of the time that would be great

the lyon game will be hard lyon are a good team and benzema is one of the best in the world but if we are to beat the other top european teams we need to beat lyon and look good at the same time, if we get a draw or win we are top and that makes life hell of a lot easier for us
KieranD
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby FCBinNYC » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:22 am

I was watching the game in Italian, I can't speak it very well, but I'm pretty sure that after Toni scored I heard the announcer say "who's Lukas Podolski?" TALK ABOUT HITTING THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!! =D> I've felt an overwhelming sense of calm sense the final whistle, so much that I almost forgot to go to work afterwards! Champions League in the new year = back where Bayern belongs! Great game! And boy, am I glad I made Klose my fantasy team captain!
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MrLinky » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:35 am

Good game , good result , we can be fully satisfied with our CL campaign so far.A convincing win with great goals , set up nicely.
We can also look forward to the match against Lyon calmly since both Cris and Juninho (I'm sure Rensing will be more than glad to hear that) are banned.
Klose was magnificent and I also have to say that MvB is getting better and better every game , thats what you expect your captain to play like , but the team as a whole produced a very good display last night.The Klinsmann-philosophy is starting to bear fruit and the team is just growing with him , in this form anything is possible in the CL this year.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby thulkazal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 pm

great game but if we play like that vs big teams we gotta be ruthless!!!!!!

TONI FUKER SCORE GOALS FROM CLEAR CHANCES (i hate him so dont mind it )

And dont say he is ok coz it isnt only game he have more then 3 chances which are 100% and score 1 goal or 0
thulkazal
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby BayernRtheBest » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:46 am

Great game, great result, I'll leave it at that. Now winning the Champions League, that's a bit far-fetched. Possibly next year though, Klinsman is starting to the show that anything is possible when you bear such passion for the game. But then again, I'm pretty sure i could do the same job he is doing is Bayern chose my assistants for me. Bayern is coming back, and we WILL be contenders for the Champions League not this year, but next. The team chemistry and makeup the team is still fragile and weak at a certain extent. I'm pretty sure that time will be the key factor in solidifying them, so that is why i predict an upset in the Champions League... for now. As for Toni, get someone to put his shoes on right because ever since he came back from that injury his sense of scoring has been spoiled, his head seems fine though, so we cant still expect at least 1 goal a game instead of 3.
BayernRtheBest

Return to UEFA Champions League