You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-09-17] Bayern Munich vs Manchester City

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Bayern Munich will win
82%
It will end in a draw
6%
Manchester City will win
12%

Total votes : 33

Re: [2014-09-17] Bayern Munich vs Manchester City

Postby AllensRoten » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 am

You guys know how I feel about Rafinha, but he was solid today! I wouldn't mind him starting while Lahm is in the RDM position. Bernat too was great with the exception of that lost ball in the first half that almost cost us a goal but he made up for it with two amazing crosses that almost lead to goals if it wasn't for Joe harts saves. And also I thought Götze played an amazing match compared to what he was likein the past weeks. Overall we looked great in every aspect of the game with the exception of our finishes. Muller and Lewa were unusually off point today.
AllensRoten
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DerKaiser » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 am

I agree with Allensroten, that this was a good game except for our finishing. I was impressed!
Dont understand all the doomsayers here claiming they played poorly? [-X
Since when are some Bayern supporters so pampered that they believe playing against one of the top teams in the world should result in us blowing them out?
Not just the injuries problem but also take into consideration the fatigue following the WC.
With the exception off an off pass now and then our combinations were quite good, creating a plethora of chances.
Lahm played well while showing some attacking and pass combinations on the right wing.
Bernat made some decent runs and good crosses.
Boateng saved 3 vital crosses and Das Ding!
Rafhina played a pivotal role with good runs and more importantly made their attacking midfielders have to defend, who were then so far back and useless for any counter attacking purposes.
Great one touch passing around the box. Almost a goal @ 1 minute mark.
Scoreline should have been 3-0. A win is a win. And come on you nay Sayers stop thinking that Bayern should be great all the time! (too much fifa football im gonna guess)

I entered this season with a thought of a slight drop overall of performance due to certain factors, one being after you've won everything its tuff to squeeze out that extra 10% that sometimes makes a difference. This is also why a winning team sometimes changes up players, lineups and strategies.
I saw a big leap in play compared to the recent BL games, and yes it can get better, but yesterdays game showed it is indeed getting better!
Statistics are like miniskirts . What they reveal is tantalizing, but what they hide is crucial.
DerKaiser
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby kod2600 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 am

I think we had the best performance this season so far. I honestly didn't expect this performance vs. City. The defense is actually improving.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby Tedesco » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 am

City should have had a penalty, and we two. The ref was scared of giving penalties, but overall he was very solid.
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby tflags » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:55 am

Tedesco wrote:City should have had a penalty, and we two. The ref was scared of giving penalties, but overall he was very solid.

They were a lot of Man C fans complaining about the penalty when Bayern missed a couple calls aswell.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Grimnir » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:
Tedesco wrote:City should have had a penalty, and we two. The ref was scared of giving penalties, but overall he was very solid.

They were a lot of Man C fans complaining about the penalty when Bayern missed a couple calls aswell.

Because they're City fans...it's always them who's in the right/who got wronged if they lose, in case you weren't aware :lol:
Grimnir
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ottomeister13 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 pm

They should complain about the fact they only had 1 English player in their starting line up with Hart...
Ottomeister13

Postby Jorge » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:43 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote: What I fear is Guardiola insisting on Bernat and Rafinha (both good, but nothing more). I don't like Lahm as a midfielder, he tends to make too many side-passes, and he is a real beast at crossing from the right. I'm anxious to see what kind of team Guardiola fields when everyone is back.

The goal actually came from a Lahm-Robben combination on the wing once Rafinha was pulled out and Lahm moved to where he rocks. The thing with Rafinha and Bernat is the same as with Lahm: in midfield he is good but nothing more. Rafinha and Bernat on the wings are good but not world class. Lahm on the wing is the best in the world, add to that his pairing with Robben who generates space for him to overlap and you have a killing weapon; same on the left wing: Alaba-Ribery will own any defensive setting that faces them, once you start moving players around it becomes speculation, our 2 wing combo formulas was a tested and refined product already in place.
And this is what Guardiola and Low got wrong with Lahm; but it is Pep's nature, he likes to experiment and make a project "his own", fans like us, we need to swallow it and live with it but myself I waste no time in airing my frustration that we can be much better if we keep our wings intact and work on some other areas that were not as perfect.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby Jorge » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Boa's impressive stats:

- 105 touches on the ball (10 more than Xavi Alonso)
- 90% accuracy.
- And that other thing, the goal.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby bastos80 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Lahm was great making diagonal passes yesterday I thought ?

Also I guess Bernat and Rafinha will be benched as soon as Thiago and Schweini are ready.
Apparently Hater of German Players #1
bastos80
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Paddy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 pm

endrity wrote:I guess I have missed Bernat's great CL experience, or the great contributions that Rafinha has especially in this tournament.

In a standard 4-2-3-1 Shaqiri has shown to be a very good player, not world class, but clearly someone that can play at a high level for Bayern. He is a much more proven player than Bernat, Rafinha, or Alaba and Lahm as CM.

You do realise that Alaba started his career as a CM and still plays that position for Austria, right? And Lahm played most od the last season as a DM/CM. Shaqiri keeps complaining about the lack of minutes he's getting and yet he's been awful this term whenever he played. He's more selfish than Robben at his worst but doesn't do anything of note by himself unlike Robben.
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby bastos80 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 pm

So I guess Shaqiri is more proven than Lahm at CM just because Lahm at CM doesn't fit your simple picture of football ?
Shaqiri has proven nothing, whilst Lahm showed how good he is in midfield.

Some people really need to stop whining about seeing players in different positions than they're used to seeing them and stop judging them objectively.
Apparently Hater of German Players #1
bastos80
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Germany

Postby endrity » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes, I know very well that Alaba started his career as a CM and played there while at Hoffenheim as well. Yet, even yesterday he doesn't seem to me like a great CM, he is too hectic in his approach to the position, a bit of headless chicken if I may say. And while I have no idea how well he plays there for Austria, since we are using national teams, I think Shaqiri even in the last WC showed he is a class player. It was no surprise that a lot of other big clubs were interested in him after the tournament.

Bastos, no Lahm is not a great CM to me. He's living off the legend from his one game against City, but I don't know when was the last time I saw a truly great game from him in the position. He's ok, competent enough if an emergency situation calls for it. While he's no headless chicken, Lahm's main problem in the position is that he simply is not physical/athletic enough to play the position at a world class level especially for a defensive midfielder. Now, a Xavi or a Pirlo can get away with that because they are so much better technically and tactically that they make up for it in other ways - though Pirlo at Milan, Juve, and Italy has always been flanked by "runners". Lahm could have been that but it's a bit too late in his career to evolve into a Xavi. As a RB though he's peerless, maybe the best I have seen in my lifetime. No one commands the flank the way he does. It is one of the joys of watching football watching Lahm play the position. Everything for him and the team instantly seems to click when he switches there.

So yes, all in all I would say Shaqiri has proven much more and consistently so as an attacking midfielder than Lahm has a central midfielder.

And lastly, if the board really thinks Shaqiri can't get a game in these conditions, with half of the team out, and Liverpool and co. are offering 20million+ than I don't know why we don't just sell him and actually get someone in that can provide adequate cover. Unless, as I suspect, the whole problem is that Guardiola actually think this is the best way to play anyway and even with Schweini and Thiago back we'll still see some of these weird formations. So then there is no point selling Shaqiri and trying to replace him with a better player because Guardiola will not play him regardless.

p.s I remember something Lahm said way back during the early part of Van Gaal's tenure. He said great teams know their tactics, and go out and buy players because they fit their scheme. Bayern, at the time, were just buying players with no idea of what they really wanted to play. Though he was fined, he was 100% correct and I think it provided the right shock for the system. Bayern's transfers were pretty spot on from that point until the CL was won.

Can someone honestly believe that this is happening again? Was Bernat bought to provide cover for Alaba or to be a starter and push Alaba to CM? If Pep wanted to do to that, why don't we go out and buy Ricardo Rodriguez, arguably the best fullback in the league last year but buy a very raw Spanish youngster? If the idea is to play Lahm at CM, why don't we go out and buy a truly elite RB? If Pep wants another midfield type player, try to go for that early instead of waiting until the last day to buy Alonso. What's the point of getting Rode and trying to force him to play RWB?

This whole period reminds me too much of Van Gaal's second season when things started to unravel and Van Gaal was not just stubborn, but proud enough to keep making the same weird formations just so he could prove people wrong. And it seems to me like the board just like then doesn't really know what the coach wants or needs.
endrity
I post all the time

Postby Paddy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Bernat is meant to be a cover for Alaba/Ribery, ofcourse with Ribery & Robben out, Bernat is getting his chance, because he has played better than Shaqiri, who was awful against Schalke and Wolfsburg.
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League