You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-12-10] Bayern Munich vs Manchester City

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Bayern Munich will win
91%
It will end in a draw
9%
Manchester City will win
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: [2013-12-10] Bayern Munich vs Manchester City

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:45 am

I am almost happy that we lost. Seriously, I am.

The reason is that we had started becoming complacent in some matches. Granted, we hit Bremen for 7 but still the fire lacked in some matches. Out of all matches we played this season and all competitive matches we will still play in this season, this one is the match which I least mind losing. It is not in the CL knockout, we remained first in the group, we didn't get eliminated from the German Cup nor did we drop points in the league.

The loss was coming, sooner or later, and serve as a wake up call. I am happy it is a high profile club in a highly unimportant match. Couldn't have asked for more.

Now unleash Sammer and all will be good again!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 am

FCBuyern wrote:
Cazorla wrote:
FCBuyern wrote:Well for Man City it is like winning the champions league beating us like that.They will probably like arsenal and epl fanboys celebrate this win for the next decade.Good for a small plastic club like that.Btw does anyone think that our defenders need bit more rest?Maybe thats one of the reason why dante,boa and co were bit lethargic and were saving energy as they both are overplayed in my opinion.

Not sure why you bring up Arsenal? we have beaten many great teams in the past, we have had some of the greatest players in the history of the game. Dont put Arsenal in the same level as Man city.

Nothing wrong with getting some pride back, we have already forgotten about that result, but it did put us on the right path.

Nothing against Arsenal.City and Chelsea are small clubs and their financial doping is annoying and I definetly consider Arsenal to be part of the elite clubs but nontheless the amount of times I had to hear about that arsenal loss whenever I watch english streams is incredible.I am not blaming you or most other arsenal fans but the amount of arrogance and hype in the english-speaking media can be too much at times.I never hear how leverkusen or bate borisow beat us,as they are never even mentioned.Its just bias I guess.

I think you are not being fair to Arsenal. Maybe you don't remember the days when they had Pires, Wildord, Henry, Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Overmars, Vieira & others to their rank playing superb football...
As for our game yest. A friend of mine told me that Pep was already a bit angry cause the players were taking their last session lightly.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby lau03143 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:47 am

MUTU wrote:I am almost happy that we lost. Seriously, I am.

The reason is that we had started becoming complacent in some matches. Granted, we hit Bremen for 7 but still the fire lacked in some matches. Out of all matches we played this season and all competitive matches we will still play in this season, this one is the match which I least mind losing. It is not in the CL knockout, we remained first in the group, we didn't get eliminated from the German Cup nor did we drop points in the league.

The loss was coming, sooner or later, and serve as a wake up call. I am happy it is a high profile club in a highly unimportant match. Couldn't have asked for more.

Now unleash Sammer and all will be good again!

I share your sentiments.

I missed the match on TV unfortunately, so can't comment on the performance. But, if there was ever a game to lose, then this was the one. Even team sthat have won everything need the motivation to keep on winning. The best way of doing that is the feeling of being beaten. No one likes that, and our players will be feeling it today. Their egos will be bruised. They will know that there is room for improvement.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby MoFattal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am

... especially now that the media will make a huge fuss out of it.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am

MoFattal wrote:... especially now that the media will make a huge fuss out of it.

The bigger the fuss they make, the more they will motivate our players. Bring them on!
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:12 am

There's something bothering me.

We have lost twice now (including German SuperCup).

Most of it is down to individual mistakes of the defenders. But I can't help ignore the fact that we lost both matches when Thiago was the lone DM. He's a better no.8 and is good enough CDM against the 'other' teams. But play him against Dortmund or City and he is exposed. The way to defense was open which is somewhat responsible for the occurrence of individual mistakes of the defenders. May be 10%, maybe less, maybe more.

I hope Pep has noticed this.
IMO, there needs to be a 'defensive' mid playing lone CDM role in important matches. That is out of the CM trio, one should be a defensive minded player.

Does anyone have similar apprehensions regarding Thiago's deployment as lone DM?

It was a bad day however. Dante and Boa both became careless. It usually happens to only one of them in a match.
Boa loves RCs and Dante has developed a thing for conceding PKs.
There's something wrong with their food, I guess. :P
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby MoFattal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am

I agree. Thiago as a CDM is just not "right" for me. The guy is great in the middle and plays a very nice box-to-box role, but he is not exactly a defensive player to shield the backline on his own. Pep should either send Martinez in there or get Lahm to play there. I think we all prefer Marti to play there, but I am really confused as to why Martinez has somehow become a bench player. I think nothing will be clear till after the winter break.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Badger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 am

I haven’t seen the match yet, but I plan to watch it in its entirety tonight, and I will post here again afterwards – no ducking and diving after a defeat. I was out last night, and had to make do with reading Liveticker and other reports. The overwhelming impression I have is that it was an unnecessary loss and, indeed, after leading 2-0 at home every such eventual loss must be regarded as an unnecessary loss.

I can’t say that a loss is good for Bayern but, now that it has happened, it will be good if Bayern can learn from it. I think Manchester City have perhaps delivered a couple of useful lessons that other teams haven’t forced Bayern to analyse up until now. Firstly, there is the mentality and style of play when (whether by skill or luck) an opponent comes back into the game. Secondly, there is the top opponent who tries to beat Bayern at their own game – pack the midfield, hold possession, etc. And more… I imagine that Pep and the two Bayern match analysts will be the busiest people in Munich today.

Some credit must go to Manchester City. Ignoring all the stuff about their financial structure, etc, it must be admitted that they have some good players. I’ve always regarded Silva as being in the top five players in the EPL, and he seems to have been the engine behind their comeback last night. And these players are fighting to show Pellegrini that they merit starting XI places. They were and are beatable, but not if Bayern switch off. Anyway, enough until I see the game in full….

Lastly, the other impression I have (largely observed elsewhere, rather than on Bayern Forum) is that many Bayern fans have forgotten how to lose. Losing so unnecessarily is quite frustrating – but the it is not the end of the world, or the end of Bayern’s dominance, or the end of Guardiola or the end of one of the best defences in Europe.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:22 am

AdepT wrote:There's something bothering me.

Most of it is down to individual mistakes of the defenders. But I can't help ignore the fact that we lost both matches when Thiago was the lone DM. He's a better no.8 and is good enough CDM against the 'other' teams. But play him against Dortmund or City and he is exposed. The way to defense was open which is somewhat responsible for the occurrence of individual mistakes of the defenders. May be 10%, maybe less, maybe more.

IMO, there needs to be a 'defensive' mid playing lone CDM role in important matches. That is out of the CM trio, one should be a defensive minded player.

Does anyone have similar apprehensions regarding Thiago's deployment as lone DM?

It was a bad day however. Dante and Boa both became careless. It usually happens to only one of them in a match.

I also agree... Juve have a similar role in Pirlo however they have Pogba & Vidal to work for him. So we have to work the other way round.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

If you're referring to few fans on Guardian comment section, two of them seem to be sure trollers, giving others a bad name and garnering more hate for our club and us fans.

I haven't yet seen goal.com. That place would be flooded with Bayern suck, they are shit etc comments. :lol:

Whatever makes them sleep at night. :roll:
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby Tedesco » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 am

While I agree with the impression that Thiago as DM does not work very well (for now at least) the problem is that when Martinez came in and took the DM role we still struggled.

So I don't think yesterday is a good match to really evaluate Thiago's DM performance, simply because the rest of the team was not working and evaluating him in this environment would be unfair.

For me it was pretty clear we were in trouble when even Lahm wasn't playing good.
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 am

AdepT wrote:There's something bothering me.

I do not think the issue is Thiago at cDM as much as it is Martinez and Schweini missing. Someone pointed out in the tactics thread that we played Martinez further up than Thiago. I am not against that, but at least 1 of Martinez, Schweini, or Lahm has to be on the field at all times.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:14 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I am not against that, but at least 1 of Martinez, Schweini, or Lahm has to be on the field at all times.

With one of them on the field (Lahm) for 55 minutes, we conceded 1 goal
With two of them on the field (Lahm and Martinez) for 35 minutes, we conceded 2 goals.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lukas » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 am

What's the big deal? If it was a knockout tie we'd be through anyway. No different to the Arsenal game last season when people started writing us off after one poor performance where we took our foot off the pedal just because we could. And we all know what happened after that
Lukas
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
England

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 am

It seems Manchester City hadn't realised they needed to win 4-2 in order to top the group. They've spent hundreds of millions on players but perhaps they needed to employ some kid with an Ordinary Level in Mathematics.

Quizzed on whether he considered bringing on 17-goal Aguero, Pellegrini said: “Maybe if we would have scored a fourth goal I would have made the change.”

James Milner, who scored City’s winner, said: “We thought it needed to be 5-2.” [source]
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League