You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[17-02-10] Bayern Munich vs Fiorentina

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What will the match result be ?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 am

Bayern win
93%
Draw
3%
Fiorentina win
3%

Total votes : 30

Re: [17-02-10] Bayern Munich vs Fiorentina

Postby MrLinky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Apparently, Della Valla – Fiorentina’s president – openly stated in an interview right after the game that he believes the referee was bribed by Bayern. Sounds ironic, coming from an Italian. Italians have traditionally been lucky enough with referees, this time they weren’t the ones taking advantage of officiating mistakes, which are a part of this game that can’t be eliminated. If you look at how the second goal was scored, it was a lucky but still a deserved victory.

Offensively, Fiorentina didn’t look too much of a threat, except for that short phase right after the second half kicked off, in which they also scored a goal, which resulted off of a lucky deflection, by a player that should have been sent off long ago. If the referee disallows Gomez’ goal and awards us a penalty, Kroldrup has to be shown the red card, last man in the 18-yard box. How does Fiorentina play from then on with one less player, plus a one-goal deficit ? Their offensive efforts were very limited and you could clearly notice they were missing their most important offensive player.

Defensively, you gotta give them credit for what they did, very disciplined, tactically they were a class act. Muller’s disappointing performance last night was a big blow for us, he couldn’t get any link-up or combinations with his team-mates going, no presence at all by him up front. He was positioned way too forward for my taste, very close to Gomez, didn’t do a good job in dropping back to add more options to our offensive play and freeing up the space for either one of our wingers or one of our central-midfielders to push into. MvB and Schweinsteiger also never looked like they could have a good move, which could unlock the opposition’s defense, they permanently had Fiorentina players in their face, which forced them to push the ball out wide and make our play predictable, our central offensive-midfield became pretty much non-existing. As a consequence of that and our very defensively appointed full-backs - I don’t know if that was an instruction by LvG, or they were just surprised by Fiorentina’s offensive-midfielders who were troubling their build-up play very well and kept pressurizing them - our wingers didn’t get any support at all and were double or triple teamed without difficulty by the Italians. I didn’t like Lahm at all in that context, no pressure going forward whatsoever by him, no runs down the flank, no linking-up with Robben, no overlapping - he didn’t have a good game. That only improved in the last few minutes of the game, when the Italians couldn’t manage to get out of their own half. To give credit to Fiorentina – Vargas and Jovetic both did a decent job in limiting his impact offensively. I’m convinced, a type of player like Kroos would have helped us out a lot in that situation. He’s more of a “creater”, while Muller is more of a “finisher”. Kroos’ passing and ball control would have given us a lot more security in midfield and would have provided us with more alternatives going forward.

The thing that has been surprising me in the last few games, is that van Bommel seems to have been turned into the more offensive one, out of our two central-midfielders. Maybe van Gaal is intending to turn Schweinsteiger into his very own Super #6. Muller and Gomez always had a player on them, our wingers were covered by two opponents, and were therefore isolated most of the time, long crosses across the field (usually played by Schweinsteiger) were intercepted numerous times. The gameplay should have been changed and turned into patiently playing low, short passes, remaining in ball possession with constant ball circulation, tire the Italians by making them run and trying to find that hole in their defensive structure, but we were just too hectic and rushed in our efforts. We just couldn’t access the game from the center of the pitch and didn’t have a suitable approach. MvB was barely moving around, Muller was totally taken out of the game by Fiorentina’s defensive-midfield and Schweini was standing very deep. As mentioned – we generally lacked a lot of dynamic and drive centrally. The Italians were very concentrated on the wings, the ball should have been played out to the flanks to add width to our play and then back to the center, where we unavoidably would have gotten some space. The movement of the ball was just too timid. Our CB’s didn’t do a good job in opening up play either. When the full-backs and central-midfielders are closed down, the center-backs are the ones who have to fill in that role. Unfortunately, last night’s game again proved that we don’t have a player of that calibre in our defense. I expect one of the two CB’s to push forward more and help build up play from deep in situations when the other players responsible for that (CM, FB) are shut down. But we just looked too uninspired and naïve tactically last night. Gotta pay respect to Prandelli, that was a schoolbook approach, as for how to face Bayern smartly in a knockout CL match.

Anyhow, I’m glad we won the game and now Fiorentina are the ones who have to open up and do the attacking at the Artemio Franchi, whereas we can rely on counter-attacks.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby EQ Kimball » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:03 pm

^^^ Nice analysis.
Join the Milk movement
EQ Kimball
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby eddinanM3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:34 am

MrLinky, well said, I saw the same problem you discribed with the long crosses side to side that either got picked off or did nothing to open up space because they took too long to get there. 80% of the problem was that MVB and Schweini were NOT able to move the ball upfield in the middle of the pitch and that really hurt us last night as the viola just sat on Robben and Ribery all night long with two defenders on each. Bayern needed the quick one touch passing in the middle in triangles to move the ball forward and it was nowhere to be found. We weren't strong enough with our possession in the middle of the pitch on the viola side of the field. Back passes don't help you move it forward and we did that too much to maintain possession. Badstuber/Contento didn't do any running to help Ribery and Ribery was trying to do too much dribbling. Robben and Lahm are better on the left, but even they had problem till late in the game with supporting each other. We also didn't play with the same fire that we had in Turin and didn't win as many 50/50 balls as we should have.

LVG has a lot of work to do for the next leg in Italy, because you know that the viola are going to send two or more guys on Ribery and Robben every chance they get and they will foul a lot also to try and take away their speed and finesse. I wish we would have got another goal in injury time as we had a number of good chances, but nothing went in. We have to score in Italy and the sooner the better, we get an early goal and it will deflate them 50%. Our goal should be two or more goals in the return leg because then the viola would have to get three goals and I don't think our defense will give up three in any scenario.
eddinanM3
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:41 am

Only good thing in this match was we won...

Now Italians will need to attack and search for that goal...that is for sure so we know what to do...
LVG wont have any problem with players being too confident now...they know they are dangerous and that they will have to give 100% for whole 90 mins.

Best way to approach the match is playing deep and wait for them and pressure them in our own half so they cant develop the game and cant make any good chances. We will have a lot more space in second leg so I believe we will find that one goal or two. We will have chances because we have players and tactics to create those, I just hope it wont be one of those games where we miss all of our chances.

If we receive the first goal we are doomed and I dont think we can pull another "juve" if that happens.
They are very disciplined in defense and there will be even less space in their half if they manage to score first.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby wadie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Congratzz
wadie
Getting the hang of it

Postby vlado19 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 pm

well i think that we have a very good position for the second game. The Italians need to atack and with Robb and Franck probably being the two fastest players in europe( ofc messi and CR) we`ll be abble to take full advantage of our two most dangerous players. And ofc with olic as a third BLITZ the setup is perfect for us, so its very important that we won the first game. A just hope that LvG will also realise that and wont play T.M instead of olic , cause Ola is made for games like this
vlado19
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ankorion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Great analysis of the match MrLinky!

I think that VG should leave Müller out for the second leg. He was invisible in Allianz Arena und Olic is a better partner for Gomez, who I think was good in the first half
ankorion
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby vlado19 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

well friend i have to disagree i thnik gomez was no better than muller. he lost most of his air duels, he moved to litlle ( as he always does) he wasnt keeping the ball so i have to disagree about gomez in florenz game.
vlado19
Getting the hang of it

Postby ankorion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:25 pm

vlado19 wrote:he lost most of his air duels

agreed

vlado19 wrote:he moved to litlle ( as he always does)

I don't agree, he helped out alot and linked up with Robben. He HAD TO, because Ribery, and Müller didn't feed him.

I generally think you guys focus too much on Gomez himself. Yes, his positioning is not good enough (yet) but he just doesn't get enough support.

But maybe you're right, I shouldn't say he was good, but he was definitvely the best together with schweinsteiger in an overall BAD display (I think I said that in another thread)
ankorion
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:37 pm

reiniksrobis wrote:Olič passed to Klose with his head,right? When he touched the ball,he was already behind Viola's defense and this means,that there weren't an offside.

You know, I think you could be right. I'm not sure though. His feet weren't behind the Viola defense.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby vlado19 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:00 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
reiniksrobis wrote:Olič passed to Klose with his head,right? When he touched the ball,he was already behind Viola's defense and this means,that there weren't an offside.

You know, I think you could be right. I'm not sure though. His feet weren't behind the Viola defense.

Yeah but when Olić passed the ball to miro he was infront of the ball , so it was an ofside, if he had been behind the ball,despite him being closest to frey then the gol wod be regular, this way is ofside, but who cares as long the ref says it s ok it ok :D
vlado19
Getting the hang of it

Postby walter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 pm

The question now is what to do with Muller. He is definitely better playing on the wings than CF. I would say if Robben and Ribery are fit, Muller should be in the bench (he will still get considerable playing time because of Robben's and Ribery's frequent injuries). We should play with two real strikers upfront and I think Klose should be in the starting lineup. Whether you pair him with Gomez or Olic I don't know.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby AvatarX » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

walter wrote:The question now is what to do with Muller. He is definitely better playing on the wings than CF. I would say if Robben and Ribery are fit, Muller should be in the bench (he will still get considerable playing time because of Robben's and Ribery's frequent injuries). We should play with two real strikers upfront and I think Klose should be in the starting lineup. Whether you pair him with Gomez or Olic I don't know.

Totally agree. Muller can be one great sub. He still has many years in front of him to develop. Anyway, being a sub for Robbery means he will play in many games (for example this Saturday) for the reason u said.

Agree about the Klose part too. He seems so anxious to be in the starting XI (mostly cause of the WC coming), so I think that he deserves at least a change. In the Fiorentina game he made a nice header from a corner saved just on the line.
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby eddinanM3 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:23 am

Muller and Olic and Klose should all get some minutes in tomorrows game and it will interesting to see who can make the biggest impact?
eddinanM3
I post all the time

Postby Aequitas1987 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Muller was one of our decent players alongside Schweini & Badstuber vs nurnberg. No argument to sub Muller out anymore.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League