You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.
 

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Bayern Munich will win
22
92%
It will end in a draw
2
8%
FC Basel will win
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 24

[2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MatchBot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Image vs Image

Competition: Champions League
Venue: Allianz Arena, Munich
Kick off: 

User avatar
MatchBot
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:08 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby Dhuber24 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 am

"Weil wir in guten wie in schlechten Zeiten zueinander stehn"
^because we stand in good times and bad times together
This was/is someones sig but lets goooooooooo Bayern! AT THE ALLIANZ WE'LL TAKE THE TIE!!!!!!!! sorry for being early but im just getting myself all pumped up :D :D
Image
Mia San Mia
Herr Huber
User avatar
Dhuber24
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: USA
National Flag:
United States of America
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MUTU » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Basel are playing against FC Bayern's Champions League qualifier opponents FC Zurich right now. After 30 mins, the score is still Basel 0-0 Zurich. Zurich are currently in 6th place in the Swiss Super League, 26 points behind leaders Basel.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 31946
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5649 times
Been thanked: 8445 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MUTU » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 pm

FT Basel 1-0 Zurich.

Basel's goal was scored by Alexander Frei.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 31946
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5649 times
Been thanked: 8445 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-02-26] Bayern Munich vs FC Schalke 04

Postby ronnie98 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

mdm90 wrote:Ok, here are some of my thoughts from today:


EDIT: Also, there is no way Gomez should be dropped. He will start scoring again, the last 4-5 games have just been a phase where not only Gomez has been average, but the whole team. There is no way Olic could have scored as many goals as Gomez has this season, or last season, probably not even half. If the team can keep this form and playstyle up, Gomez will start firing up again as teams are forced to watch Robbery+Mueller even more closer, that's when Gomez is in his prime, picking up the crumbs.


well against Basel we will need to score from every single chance on goal so starting gomez would be very dangerous! I know Olic is not the same as before but imo he can play with the team unlike gomez who just waits there to tap. Or we can start Peterson from now on...if we want to play collectively gomez is not the solution. We need an overall striker who can play in any attacking position like sanchez,villa or huntelaar or aguero
ronnie98
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MUTU » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:20 pm

ronnie98 wrote:well against Basel we will need to score from every single chance on goal

Actually what I'd prefer is to keep solid on the back. Recently, our defence has been very good in not leaking in any goals. But you can't expect any team/player to score from every single chance on goal. Not even a Messi+Maradona+Pele+Gerd Mueller combined can do that. We need to keep the back solid, but we still need to create a number of chances and not just 1 or 2.

Both Olic and Petersen have looked pretty harmless whenever they played this season. Petersen hasn't played in a long while and today the match died once Gomez was brought off in favour of Olic. Olic plays with enthusiasm and good technical skills, but his positioning and sniff of the ball isn't anywhere close to Gomez's.

Rummenigge once famously said (not an exact quote): "A good striker is one who places himself in the position where the ball will be in the next minute".
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 31946
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5649 times
Been thanked: 8445 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby machkover » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 pm

MUTU wrote:
ronnie98 wrote:well against Basel we will need to score from every single chance on goal

Actually what I'd prefer is to keep solid on the back. Recently, our defence has been very good in not leaking in any goals. But you can't expect any team/player to score from every single chance on goal. Not even a Messi+Maradona+Pele+Gerd Mueller combined can do that. We need to keep the back solid, but we still need to create a number of chances and not just 1 or 2.

Both Olic and Petersen have looked pretty harmless whenever they played this season. Petersen hasn't played in a long while and today the match died once Gomez was brought off in favour of Olic. Olic plays with enthusiasm and good technical skills, but his positioning and sniff of the ball isn't anywhere close to Gomez's.

Rummenigge once famously said (not an exact quote): "A good striker is one who places himself in the position where the ball will be in the next minute".

come on !! the match was already way diying before Gomez got subbed . as for rummenigge's comments : how many minutes has Gomez played so far without scoring a single goal ? your answer will surely mean that Gomez no longer knows where to place himself and even when he accidently gets the ball in his feet he "insists" on missing the net !! #-o i hope he will gain back his scoring sense for the sake of his fans who are getting fewer and fewer and who get embarassed defending him while he isn't helping much !! and please don't repeat that he drops away defenders leaving thus space for his mates in the team !! [-X . he is simply lost in the field . his "hilarious" misses prove it .
GET OFF BAYERN'S WAY TO THE GLORY
User avatar
machkover
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: KAZABLANKA
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby Aequitas1987 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 am

Gomez is a streaky player he just needs to get his hotstreak again before Basel match 2. Once he starts on a hot streak he is the most lethal striker in Europe.
SoStronk.com
User avatar
Aequitas1987
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 am
National Flag:
India
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 161 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 am

We are only missing EQ Kimball:)

about the match...

I am as pumped as I can get:)...This one reminds me of that match against Man Utd 2 years ago. I just hope we make it and that something unexpected does not happen. Imagine Basel scoring an early goal...that would kill us. I want to see 3:0 score at half time:)
Starin` at the world through my rearview
User avatar
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 4683
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 541 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby AvatarX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:13 am

sch0ll7 wrote:I want to see 3:0 score at half time:)


Well, if we managed to score before half time, I am pretty sure we will go through. Usually we have problems when we can't score before half time...
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
User avatar
AvatarX
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 7986
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 pm
Location: Metaverse
National Flag:
Anonymous
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 886 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby ronnie98 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 am

MUTU wrote:
ronnie98 wrote:well against Basel we will need to score from every single chance on goal

Actually what I'd prefer is to keep solid on the back. Recently, our defence has been very good in not leaking in any goals. But you can't expect any team/player to score from every single chance on goal. Not even a Messi+Maradona+Pele+Gerd Mueller combined can do that. We need to keep the back solid, but we still need to create a number of chances and not just 1 or 2.

Both Olic and Petersen have looked pretty harmless whenever they played this season. Petersen hasn't played in a long while and today the match died once Gomez was brought off in favour of Olic. Olic plays with enthusiasm and good technical skills, but his positioning and sniff of the ball isn't anywhere close to Gomez's.

Rummenigge once famously said (not an exact quote): "A good striker is one who places himself in the position where the ball will be in the next minute".


I don't mean a 100% rate from the chances on goal, no one can do this. But Gomez lacks a lotttt of skills since he can't convert on the most easiest chances as we have seen previously he can go on a 'missing' streak too, so he is dangerous to rely on
ronnie98
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MUTU » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:36 am

machkover wrote:how many minutes has Gomez played so far without scoring a single goal ?

319 minutes. Which top striker never went longer than that without a goal? Check this extract I found about our very own hero, Gerd Mueller:

Even one of the most prolific goal-scorers of all time, Gerd Mueller, who netted an astonishing 14 times in two World Cups, suffered from lean spells at his club Bayern Munich, during their most successful period in the mid 1970s.

Udo Lattek recalls: "Mueller had periods where he didnt score for seven games - or more. I've asked him always: 'What's up?' His reply? 'I'm thinking about how to net the ball in.' I always said to him: 'Don't think about it - just do it - just score.'"

Lattek's successor dealt differently with a Mueller mini-drought in the the 1975-76 season. Instead of telling him to stop thinking he tried to get him thinking positively once more.

"Cramer showed Mueller his most beautiful goals on video, to give him more self confidence in the penalty area," says Goal.com Germany's Francois Ducheteau.

"He named this 'visualisation' - and it helped, Mueller scored and scored and scored again after this and Bayern won the Europa Cup and World Cup for clubs."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/cha ... psychology


Just because he goes on a 3-match scoring drought for the first time in 2 years, you cannot ask for the 3rd highest goalscoring footballer in Europe (during the last 5 years) to be benched.

Using your reasoning of using the minutes as a benchmark for the selection process, perhaps once Neuer lets in a goal, we should immediately sub him out and bench him for Butt, because he'd have gone 0 minutes since conceding a goal. Once Butt lets in a goal, then we sub him for Sattelmaier, and so on.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 31946
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5649 times
Been thanked: 8445 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby ronnie98 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

MUTU wrote:
Just because he goes on a 3-match scoring drought for the first time in 2 years, you cannot ask for the 3rd highest goalscoring footballer in Europe (during the last 5 years) to be benched.

Using your reasoning of using the minutes as a benchmark for the selection process, perhaps once Neuer lets in a goal, we should immediately sub him out and bench him for Butt, because he'd have gone 0 minutes since conceding a goal. Once Butt lets in a goal, then we sub him for Sattelmaier, and so on.


His job is to score ONLY otherwise he is not needed, the team suffers when gomez is on the pitch and not scoring because i think having gomez is a loss of one man for the team. If he keeps on missing easy chances then we should replace him.IMO against leverkusen is his final game to prove himself.

Yes IF neur concedes very stupid goals then he would get benched,same thing applies with gomez missing stupid goals and his only duty is to score.
ronnie98
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby MUTU » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm

ronnie98 wrote:His job is to score ONLY otherwise he is not needed, the team suffers when gomez is on the pitch and not scoring because i think having gomez is a loss of one man for the team.


We may be down to 10 men when he's doing absolutely nothing (as what would happen with another player), but even if he's not doing anything he's still pulling two defenders to mark him. So the opposing team is down to 9 men defending Bayern's 10 men. If Gomez wasn't pulling two, sometimes three, Basel defenders onto him, Ribery would not have had those early chances from which he did not manage to profit (due to outstanding saves from Sommer). He is a target man, and even if he is not scoring he is still important to the team because other players end up with more space.

ronnie98 wrote:If he keeps on missing easy chances then we should replace him.IMO against leverkusen is his final game to prove himself.


Thankfully the Bayern board, Effenberg, Kahn, Mourinho and the others who praise Gomez don't agree with you. In contrast, they want to increase Gomez's contract.

ronnie98 wrote:Yes IF neur concedes very stupid goals then he would get benched,same thing applies with gomez missing stupid goals and his only duty is to score.


Exactly how many clear chances did he have in the last 3 matches in which he did not score? I counted a singular one against Schalke (when he tried to dribble past Hildebrand), 0 against Basel (that angled shot with the keeper close and covering the angle was definitely NOT a clear chance), and I couldn't watch the Freiburg match but from what I read we didn't create too many opportunities either.

I know he's scored a lot this season and the past, but a lot of you are expecting too much from him. The guy scored 50 goals in 2011 (in all competitions). Do you watch only goal highlights and assume that other world class strikers never miss any chance? Because if they never missed chances they'd score some 150 goals a season at least, but nobody does that. And you can't expect Gomez to score from the 1 clear chance too. You can hope for that, but expect it?

Yes, Gomez had that 1 clear chance. But it still wasn't as clear as this chance that Messi lost less than a month ago:



Or how about this in the Champions League a few months earlier?

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 31946
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5649 times
Been thanked: 8445 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2012-03-13] Bayern Munich vs FC Basel

Postby ronnie98 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm

MUTU wrote:
We may be down to 10 men when he's doing absolutely nothing (as what would happen with another player), but even if he's not doing anything he's still pulling two defenders to mark him. So the opposing team is down to 9 men defending Bayern's 10 men. If Gomez wasn't pulling two, sometimes three, Basel defenders onto him, Ribery would not have had those early chances from which he did not manage to profit (due to outstanding saves from Sommer). He is a target man, and even if he is not scoring he is still important to the team because other players end up with more space.


pulling defenders is not enough, he should help the team with its runs/counter-attacks not stumble with the ball foolishly against any defender he is up against.

MUTU wrote:Thankfully the Bayern board, Effenberg, Kahn, Mourinho and the others who praise Gomez don't agree with you. In contrast, they want to increase Gomez's contract.


when scoring that amount of goals, any board would increase a player's contract regardless of how he was scoring them. He is great when scoring only but other than that he becomes a heavy burden on the team when missing clear chances because thats all he can score from. He very very rarely create goals on his own like shooting from far, or crossing a defender or two etc... things that i would find in other top strikers.

MUTU wrote:Exactly how many clear chances did he have in the last 3 matches in which he did not score? I counted a singular one against Schalke (when he tried to dribble past Hildebrand), 0 against Basel (that angled shot with the keeper close and covering the angle was definitely NOT a clear chance), and I couldn't watch the Freiburg match but from what I read we didn't create too many opportunities either.

I know he's scored a lot this season and the past, but a lot of you are expecting too much from him. The guy scored 50 goals in 2011 (in all competitions). Do you watch only goal highlights and assume that other world class strikers never miss any chance? Because if they never missed chances they'd score some 150 goals a season at least, but nobody does that. And you can't expect Gomez to score from the 1 clear chance too. You can hope for that, but expect it?

Yes, Gomez had that 1 clear chance. But it still wasn't as clear as this chance that Messi lost less than a month ago:


Messi or any of the best strikers of today or even Robbery are forgiven if they miss silly chances like that because they are doing all the hard work of crossing defenders,assisting etc...but for a person like gomez who just relies on those open oppurtnuties to miss is suicidal!
MAN forget the clear chances, what about his one-touch passing inside the box??? or the long amount of time it takes for him to think what he will do with the ball next while in front of goal??? do you take that into consideration or not??
conclusion: gomez is NOT an overall reliable striker
EDIT: the only only thing i like about gomez is his exceptional headers. its like he can score from every corner :D
ronnie98
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Gender: Male

Next

Return to UEFA Champions League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jorge, Manchu, Yandex [Bot] and 13 guests