You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-04-23] Bayern Munich vs FC Barcelona

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Bayern Munich will win
94%
It will end in a draw
5%
FC Barcelona will win
1%

Total votes : 85

Re: [2013-04-23] Bayern Munich vs FC Barcelona

Postby walter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm

TexasFCB wrote:I think the most important thing that we can do is not treat ourselves as the underdog. We are on par or better than them in most aspects of the game. I feel like if we treat ourselves as the underdog, we will be giving them to much respect, and then something like what happened to Juventus will happen to us.

I agree, the team has to come out with 100% confidence and not let the name Barca get to their heads
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Playing at home first will give Bayern a big boost in my opinion. Though im not sure who will play as striker Gomez or Pizarro...
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Borusse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Nothing to worry about imo. Barcelona's defence is the worst from the four teams left in the tournament. I can see you scoring three goals, 3-1 I think.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm

By the way Bayern play Dortmund in the Bundesliga 3 days after they play Barca in the second leg :P
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby SouthernStar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:By the way Bayern play Dortmund in the Bundesliga 3 days after they play Barca in the second leg :P

Well Dortmund has a match this time round though... unlike last year :D

I'm excited, I feel that this is will be a true indicator of our position among Europe's best. I also feel that BVB would have been a harder match up for the semis.
SouthernStar
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Jorge » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Element wrote:A friend of my just told me that bayern is the strongest without any doubts and that it all depends on messi

For the first time in 6 years i hear a Barcelona fan being afraid!!!!

I watch Barcelona almost weekly and they are not anywhere near the level that they were 2-3 years ago. Yes, they are still dominant in La Liga but most of that is due to Real Madrid self-imploding and dropping from a superb team to be a good 2nd in La Liga, then you have too much respect by the other half a dozen teams that typically have the extra motivation of playing vs the almighty Blaugrana. A few years ago Barca have so many weapons to hurt you that you could hold the score only for a period of time but they will find the way to break you in 90 minutes, in recent times you can sense them getting impatient, running out of time, getting frustrated and trying the same again and again instead of having the unpredictability of the past, they are even more dependent on Messi and they will be forced to rest him for at least a couple of weeks, nobody knows if he will be 100% by match day.
Xavi is still an amazing player but he is slowing down rapidly as he ages, without Puyol and Mascherano their backline looks shaky, although it is not tested too much because they overwhelm the opponent with possession, if Bayern attack them consistently from different angles and with different weapons most likely they will concede. Barca looked horrible in San Siro, went back to their own selves in the return leg and was from average to mediocre against PSG.
At this point you do not know, if they come to Bayern like the good oiled machine that they can be we have no chance, if they are the recent team that has spells of great football but long minutes of average football we can beat them. I have no doubt that Bayern’s players will step a notch higher for these two matches, all of them except 2 players: Ribery and Robben, both have not played anywhere near the level that they are capable of in recent CL matches and Bayern will need the best of the them to expose Barca’s backline and to let Heyckens manage both legs around the scoreboard instead of trying to outplay them which seems a more complicated task.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby mdm90 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I can't see us being able to play our normal kind of game where we control possession. This Is ok though, as we are capable of pressing well and Madrid and others have shown the potential benefit of doing so against barca.

Nonetheless, I think we are well equipped to punish them on the counter- the question is are our players used to it/ can they be prepared. Or will we persist and try to play our standard game? A lack of plan b has hurt us in the past.

Their defence is shaky, and I think we have what it takes to break them or at least force them to change their approach: alba and alves like to push forward, will that be seen as wise against robben and ribery? Doubt it, and they can try at their own peril. If Gomez is fit he has the physicality to match piqué and whoever is paired with him.

Ultimately I feel this is a massive test simply because of players like xavi, iniesta and of course messi. Defensive issues of late aside, ours will need to be so damn switched on. A key player for me is robben- I feel he has been playing at close to 90% lately- the final 10% being his finishing. We will need him to be able to get shots on target, and put them away, because chances may be few, and he always ends up with at least a couple (credit to him on this though). So excited.
mdm90
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby AdepT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:55 pm

So I just went over to barcaforum.com. Here are the reactions/talks going on -
1. Quite a few are quoting that they can beat us at home because Arsenal beat us 2-0 and they can also beat us away because a team they beat 4-0(Bate), beat us 3-1. I know, weird logic, right! #-o
2. A few fear for their FBs facing against our attack, especially Ribery vs Alves as he has been the weakest link.
Many are suggesting that Montoya should play. :?
3. A few are in favour of double pivot of 'Biscuit-Song' ( :lol: ) for the away game i.e. our home game.
4. Happy to avoid RM. But shaky to face us. They preferred Dortmund. A poll shows 68.83 of 71 guys who voted wanted to kick out Borusse's team. :|
5. Messi has not lost against a German club having won 6.
6. What would Pep do? Who will he favour? Ex-club or future employer?
7. DvB
8. Corners
9. Our style of possesion against theirs. We have a Bayern fan over there by name - Waschdel.
10. A post of one of them
I See your Muller, Mandzukic, Robben, Ribery, Pizarro and Schweinsteiger vs Valdes. ](*,)

and Raise you, Imagevs Neuer.
:evil:

11. How can we beat them at their own game through open play?
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby Borusse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm

AdepT wrote:4. Happy to avoid RM. But shaky to face us. They preferred Dortmund. A poll shows 68.83 of 71 guys who voted wanted to kick out Borusse's team. :|

Pretty normal, Dortmund being the underdog is a fact.

You will have more possesion than Barcelona on Allianz, trust me on that. :wink:
Last edited by Borusse on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Bilmuash » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Right now we are favorites. Barca were very poor against the Frogs and were lucky that PSG were very wasteful in the 1st half. However, in two weeks they may be back in business with Messi fit.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken last time Barca lost to a German side it was in 2001 against Leverkusen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Bilmuash
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby raz25 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 pm

While in 2009, if I remember right, Lahm had a knock in a training session before the game, Lucio was injured and we had something like Lell--Breno--Micho--Oddo for a backline and Klinsmann to guide them #-o , god, that was painful, and Barcelona were about to be called one of the best teams in history but look how things change.

These are good times to face Barca. They are not the same since Guardiola left. As Jorge said they don't have that spark, that unpredictability anymore. Losses with Madrid, barely making it with PSG and constantly getting goals just speak for themselves. Honestly, I don't think I've seen them holding a clean sheet this season.

Lack of depth is also hitting them pretty hard. While we suffer from injuries of our own (Badstuber and Kroos) they also have theirs (Puyol, Mascherano and possibly Messi?). We have Lahm, Gustavo and Dante in danger of suspensions but then so do they (Alba, Pique, Song). While this seems equal we know it's clearly an advantage to us. Because of the better depth in our team we managed to cope very well with all the injuries and even in the nightmare situation of missing both Dante and Lahm in the 2nd leg we can still field a more than decent Alaba--DvB--Martinez--Boateng backline.

Barca fans are probably happy to be playing the 2nd leg at home but then, so are we. Playing away in the 2nd leg simply suited us in the past few seasons (Man united, Juventus, Real Madrid). Also playing as underdogs suits really well, but this time will be a little different. Time and time again, I've seen our staff and players saying Barcelona are the best, Barcelona are the standard, they are our role model, etc. I hope we don't give too much respect, that could totally backfire against us. I remember reading one interview from Ribery before the QFs draw, and he said something like 'Barcelona are not the same anymore and I wouldn't mind facing them', that's the spirit.

The biggest threat will be a fit Messi. I've seen some of you mentioning how Schweinsteiger made him invisible 3 years ago vs Argentina. Let's not forget that today's Messi is better than 2010 Messi and that Barcelona's Messi has always been better than Argentina's Messi. Containing him 180 minutes will be impossible and we can call ourselves lucky if he only scores one goal.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby dambun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Jorge wrote:I watch Barcelona almost weekly and they are not anywhere near the level that they were 2-3 years ago. Yes, they are still dominant in La Liga but most of that is due to Real Madrid self-imploding and dropping from a superb team to be a good 2nd in La Liga, then you have too much respect by the other half a dozen teams that typically have the extra motivation of playing vs the almighty Blaugrana. A few years ago Barca have so many weapons to hurt you that you could hold the score only for a period of time but they will find the way to break you in 90 minutes, in recent times you can sense them getting impatient, running out of time, getting frustrated and trying the same again and again instead of having the unpredictability of the past, they are even more dependent on Messi and they will be forced to rest him for at least a couple of weeks, nobody knows if he will be 100% by match day.
Xavi is still an amazing player but he is slowing down rapidly as he ages, without Puyol and Mascherano their backline looks shaky, although it is not tested too much because they overwhelm the opponent with possession, if Bayern attack them consistently from different angles and with different weapons most likely they will concede. Barca looked horrible in San Siro, went back to their own selves in the return leg and was from average to mediocre against PSG.
At this point you do not know, if they come to Bayern like the good oiled machine that they can be we have no chance, if they are the recent team that has spells of great football but long minutes of average football we can beat them. I have no doubt that Bayern’s players will step a notch higher for these two matches, all of them except 2 players: Ribery and Robben, both have not played anywhere near the level that they are capable of in recent CL matches and Bayern will need the best of the them to expose Barca’s backline and to let Heyckens manage both legs around the scoreboard instead of trying to outplay them which seems a more complicated task.

While I agree with all the points you've suggested, we have to also admit that they are also used to step up a notch when facing strong opposition... they are used to play at like 80% for a while and then switch to 100% in a match when needed... (like the return leg vs. Milan)... the trend is also visible in Spain NT's games... they played a not so great WC and Euro, but stepped up in the finals and won the 2 deservedly....

But I think we it's a clash of equals even if they play their best... because even though they might have a few bigger names upfront, we are the team with arguably the better defensive structure... So I believe we have a realistic chance of defeating them and advancing to the final...
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Postby MoFattal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm

@Jorge you raise some great points in your discussion, and I agree with most of the. But to say that if Barca brings along their best game then we have no chance is a bit of understating our capabilities. A 2 years older Barca would have definitelt been a tougher nut to crack, but we are currently as much a a tough nut to crack as they were back then.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Robb3449 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I love it! This is the test that a lot of Bayern's fans have been waiting for: to take down the mighty Barca. It sure as hell won't be easy but we have all the necessary tools to advance. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Reggie Jackson (of the 1977 NY Yankees) when asked, "What's the biggest thing you've noticed (about the team) since being injured?" " The magnitude of ME!"
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby EverFresh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 pm

An article on EPSN FC said this was clash of the waning dominate team in Europe versus the up and coming dominate team in Europe, I like that thought. Anyways, this is a super exciting draw, and with both teams playing at %100 and a good ref, this could be some of the most beautiful football I've ever seen. I hope this our year so that we can forget about that awful night against Chelsea.
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
EverFresh
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League