You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-02-19] Arsenal F.C. vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Arsenal F.C. will win
5%
It will end in a draw
11%
Bayern Munich will win
84%

Total votes : 81

Re: [2013-02-19] Arsenal F.C. vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

tweed wrote:
AssemFCB wrote:Perhaps our strongest asset this year is our bench... Basically, it's not the end of the world if X is suspended or injured, there are able replacements.

You do raise a good point, especially with the offense. If I had to pick, though, I would say I have minor concerns wtih the defensive side.

If worse comes to worst, and Dante gets injured - what are the options?

Most obviously, we could have Van Buyten / Boateng although that would leave me a little uneasy. Jerome seems to have those mental lapses way too often that makes me nervous and I prefer to see him on the right side where he poses some offensive threat (obviously not wishing Lahm any harm).

They could move Javier to DC and pair up - once again - Schweinsteiger and Gustavo. Martinez played DC quite a bit his last year with Athletic, but I *love* him in the midfield and think we still have only scratched the surface of his potential.

Or Heynckes could change things up with the formation. I'm hardpressed, despite my great success at Football Manager, to come up with a viable alternative. Martinez play more of a stopper role? Diamond formation? 4-4-1-1?

Losing Badstuber hurts. Losing another defender or FB would make me feel nervous than losing anyone else, with the exception of Neuer.

(and please forgive such a bleak first post after such a dominanting win away)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Personally I am not worried about our backline. It's true that I would have preferred Dante to get booked yesterday and get the suspension out of the way, but Van Buyten is in great form and Boateng, despite his mistakes, is a very good and underrated CB. Playing Martinez, Gustavo or Tymo there is always an option, but I think a Boateng-DVB duo would be preferred.

Also, don't look at just the CBs. Our entire team is crucial to our defending. So if we were forced to play such a lineup against a top European team and they struggle, probably Heynckes' solution would be to tell Martinez/Gustavo not to go forward as much.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby tweed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes to the forum. I've been lurking for sometime (even well before joining), and have been always *very* impressed with the posters - some of whom are absolutely top-notch.

Taking a step back, I know I'm nitpicking about a worst-case scenario. The bottom-line is that FCB has been amazing in the transfer market. Mario Mandzukic, Dante and Javier Martinez are biggest impact and most recent, but Pizarro and Shaqiri (whose work-rate is worthy of #11) provide amazing added cover on the attacking side.

At the end of the day, I tip my hat to Sammer and the entire front-office for their healthy mix of home-grown talent and amazing signings in recent years. If they feel there is enough cover, then I won't second-guess (too much, at least).

In Hoeness veritas!
tweed
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MoFattal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

tweed wrote:and have been always *very* impressed with the posters - some of whom are absolutely top-notch.

Thank you, thank you. You made me blush :oops:

Welcome tweed. You should post more often.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Borusse » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

tweed wrote:Thanks everyone for the well wishes to the forum. I've been lurking for sometime (even well before joining), and have been always *very* impressed with the posters - some of whom are absolutely top-notch.

See? Few weeks of "Borusse quality" and people come running!
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby MUTU » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Cazorla » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:07 am

He looks good in Arsenal shirt. =D>
Cazorla
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 am

He looks good in Arsenal shirt.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep dreaming!
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby sch0ll7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 am

I read some forums from some other clubs fans...and it seems that people still doubt us...or are saying something like...Bayern got lucky Arsenal didnt play their A game or something.
While in truth we were the ones that didnt play to 100% when going forward on counter attacks while being quite solid at defending.

We scored 3 away goals and conceded 1 goal [mistake from a referee]...that is a dream result for an away match in CL...and I had a feeling we could score even more if we made our counters more effective.
I usualy wouldnt say anything like "we will crush them at home"...but I just cant see it any other way...I am sure we wont even play to 100%.

I
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:31 am

So after a day spent in mourning (nah, actually I was buys studying for a test) I came to visit this thread and boom! This has neared 1000 posts.

Well, for the match, like I said would happen, neither team completely outplayed the other. it was more of a case of bayern ultimately controlling more of the ball. It wasnt a case of men against boys, as some papers put it, rather than a well oiled machine against a rusty and cloggy one. The difference in quality was only in terms of mentality. Bayern played like they knew what they were doing, Arsenal played like they wanted to play catchup. This exemplifies the season for the team.

We were actually doing okay till the first goal went in, Mertesacker failed to close down Kroos quicly enough and he took one of his trademark shots. Then form then on for about 20 mintues Bayern bossed the game. it evened out after that, and in the initial part of the second half, Arsenal were on the front foot. But there is lack of mentality. You can see the difference between Wilshere and the rest of the team. It was pathetic because you can clearly see there was only one player on the pitch who really wanted to win it and the rest were just passing the time. The team gives up too easily. There is lack of self belief. Lack of enough leaders on the pitch. Like Schweinsteiger took over responsibility when Arsenal were on the front foot and ran his ass off to keep the midfield assault in check. It is sad really.

The goals themselves were very very avoidable. None of the goals scored was beautiful, or efficiently created. All four goals came down to moments of defensive lapse. The only difference was that bayern had only one and Arsenal had three. Again, a sad fact. Defensive organisation in shambles.

How much of the blame goes to the manager? I dont know. I think he has to take some in the larger picture but I believe he should have spent more in the January window. In terms of tactics, I cant say I fault him. I am angry with him though because he made the "They had too much quality" comment. Well, its clear Bayern have quality. Why dont we have it then? Why dont we have it enough? And if bayern's quality is quality then what is the quality he keeps talking about week in week out? And if truly believes that these are average players then why isnt he doing something to replace them with "quality" ones? These are questions Wenger needs to ask himself.

As for the fans, I think the atmosphere in the stadium has been sucking crap for the past three games. Loud boos but hardly audible cheers. Whether they agree with the situation or not, fans should be getting behind the team for the 90 minutes. The Schalke fans showed us that in the group stages.

I think it would be foolish to hope for a result out of this tie now, but I will remain cautiously hopeful as this team, no matter what, is unpredictable.
Fan of
Arsenal - Bayern

Uli Hoeness -" Let's say we charged €300. We'd get €2m more in income, but what's €2m to us? but the difference between €104 and €300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk."
Yoda
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am

sch0ll7 wrote:I read some forums from some other clubs fans...and it seems that people still doubt us...or are saying something like...Bayern got lucky Arsenal didnt play their A game or something.
While in truth we were the ones that didnt play to 100% when going forward on counter attacks while being quite solid at defending.

To be honest, they are right. But we havent played our A game since Anfield in september. If we did play our A game - which is highly unlikely looking at our current form - we would beat Bayern. But it is also true it wasnt a totally dominating performance by Bayern. It would have been a Bayern win that way because you have better wingers, but both teams at their absolute best are not as far apart as the media and the current form wants you to believe.
Fan of
Arsenal - Bayern

Uli Hoeness -" Let's say we charged €300. We'd get €2m more in income, but what's €2m to us? but the difference between €104 and €300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk."
Yoda
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby sch0ll7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 am

I know it wasnt your A game...but we still gave you ball and let you play...but that is probably because we were already 2 goals up quite early...and away from home which was a big factor.

If Arsenal were 1:0 up...we would attack much more than Arsenal managed to. But it was obvious that our tactics was defend as a team and dont allow them any shots...and that tactics worked great this season. especially away from home.

Btw...

I totally agree with you on "why dont we have quality?" issue.

Bayern was at similar situation some 5 years ago. We had some money but didnt have enough to splash it around like Chelsea or some other clubs.

The difference is...that Ulli would probably rather die than to let some top player out of the club...and maybe not because Ribery or Schweini, Lahm would leave Bayern...but because he couldnt live with himself if Barca, Chelsea, Man Utd etc...bought any of Bayerns players and he became their feeder club. He would probably rather turn down 100 mil€ offer for one of our players if that meant that he wants to send out a msg to all other clubs..."Dont come for our players, you wont get them".

I remember when Lahm wanted to leave at some point when our club was not doing well and he was angry because we were not investing money in top players. Same with Schweini and some others...but the biggest win was to keep those players at club and buy at least 1 top player each year to keep them happy and get stronger.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby BayernLove » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 am

neither team completely outplayed the other

Really? I found both teams outplayed each other at times, but Bayern had more control, and when they did they seized the control, when they didn't they got back very well and worked their asses off.

it was more of a case of Bayern ultimately controlling more of the ball

55-45 is the possession stat, the stats don't lie, Arsenal had more of the ball, just failed to threaten us, they were lost, we dominated.

It wasn't a case of men against boys, as some papers put it, rather than a well oiled machine against a rusty and cloggy one.

First part, I can disagree with, Wilshere has been the only one that wanted to win this season, I also noticed this in the game in Yorkshire. Oddly enough, the "boy" in your team was the only thing that prevented utter humiliation.
Can't argue about the well oiled machine vs rusty and clogged one, but we did play you off the park in 75% form. "Well oiled" describes our work rates, maybe not our form.

We were actually doing okay till the first goal went in, Mertesacker failed to close down Kroos quickly enough and he took one of his trademark shots.

None of the goals scored was beautiful

Yeah, I'm just gonna leave these 2 quotes here...

How much of the blame goes to the manager? I don't know. I think he has to take some in the larger picture but I believe he should have spent more in the January window

I think Arsenal really do have some genuine quality, not amazing, but not to merit an overhaul in the winter when the prices are extremely inflated, it can wait until summer, IF it does happen, I blame the Arsenal board, me.

In terms of tactics, I can't say I fault him.

Well, I can! Aside from giving his team no motivation until the 45' break, he's lost it tactically! The whole game was "try to pass to Walcott and hope his pace serves him well". Unbelievable, no defensive organisation came from the tactics, not the players or "having a leader in the back-line". Where was the man marking? Where was anything?

As for the fans, I think the atmosphere in the stadium has been sucking crap for the past three games. Loud boos but hardly audible cheers.

Well, it's not that bad until you start failing and faltering.

Whether they agree with the situation or not, fans should be getting behind the team for the 90 minutes.

DO agree with, however, the fans are trying to be vocal with their concern for the club, if there's another way they can be heard, great, but not at all there isn't, they're trying to do SOMETHING to get the board to budge.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby MoFattal » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 am

Yoda wrote:You can see the difference between Wilshere and the rest of the team. It was pathetic because you can clearly see there was only one player on the pitch who really wanted to win it and the rest were just passing the time.

I agree with you on this. I really was impressed with Wilshere. He came up against the best double pivot in world football and still had an impressive showing. The lad would fit in nice with us ;) I hope, for your sake, that he doesn't end up wearing a blue shirt next season.

Yoda wrote:The difference in quality was only in terms of mentality.

Here I tend to disagree, my friend. Arsenal definitely had some stretches of pressure, but that's mainly because we were TWO away goals up and resorted to result-maintaining tactics. It would've been too risky and injury/booking-inviting for us to continue going forward with a lot of pace and physical plays. I'm sorry, Yoda, but in no way the quality of our squad and yours is on the same level. One just needs to take a quick look at both the defensive and offensive lines. Your midfield is close, but otherwise none.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby tflags » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

Yoda wrote:It would have been a Bayern win that way because you have better wingers, but both teams at their absolute best are not as far apart as the media and the current form wants you to believe.

"Master Yoda you surprise me." Having the 2nd highest midi-chlorians count of any person on the universe should help you identify the wings is where the closest gap between these two teams lie. For all the blunders Neuer does on one of those rare bad days at the office, there is a galaxy far away in distance between goal keepers.

Then there is the back four as PER usual. Your media never ceased to single out DvB as the gate to all things beautiful for Arsenal. What does he do? He comes all cannons blazing in front of EDIT your back line German and delivers a devastating header setting up the second goal. Yeah, our center banks, commencing with DvB, can rock your world too.
Then there are Bayern's fullbacks; constantly being hailed as two of the most deadly in the business. I agree, Alaba had a busy night in London but Lahm time and time again shows no other fullback in Europe has decided so many crucial CL nights single-handedly. No Champions League game for Bayern is over until the short dude with the funny look and the white arm-band sets up the final goal.

Now, would you like to discuss our midfield or are you ready to join the Dark Side? :P
Last edited by tflags on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby AdepT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 pm

tflags wrote: No Champions League game for Bayern is over until the short dude with the funny look and the white arm-band sets up the final goal.

Lahm's the BEST RB & LB in the world. For his and Basti's sake, I would like us to win the CL and I wish they win the WC too.
They deserve it.

ON another note, I get what you're saying but the arm-band isn't exactly white when we play in CL.

tflags wrote: Now, would you like to discuss our midfield or are you ready to join the Dark Side? :P

That cracked me up. :lol:
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League