You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:57 am

Maybe this will turn out to be the stupidest post of the year (OK, after a bunch of #12's in that case ) but this preseason so far has only confirmed why I and so many others did not believe in Ancelotti last season. I don't think we stand a chance while he's coach unless we either are very lucky or he gets his head out of the sand. Our transfer market has been good. We're sorely lacking a striker backup but if Lewandowski stays fit and on form we have the squad to win the CL. It's just that the tactics aren't right, they haven't been for a long time and there's no indication that this is going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:
#12 wrote:So you're glad with a repetition of the single most successful season in a 117 years old club? Good
Guess it's ok to dream... Realistically speaking, the CL ship has sailed for us...
It hasn't sailed, not yet. We have the squad to win it. The problem is that, because of its composition, it would require some fine management... And departing from both 4231 and possession-obsession tactics.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

We have the squad for maybe one or two years... But we don't have the coach for these two years...
I still think playing dominantly is a Bayern trait that we shouldn't abandon... Obsession is never good though
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:33 pm

I still have some faith left in Carlo. However, He needs to learn lessons from last season and must be more flexible and shouldn't be afraid to change formation and personnel when needed. Also gambling on Lewandowski being fit throughout the season has proved fatal for Bayern once! Surely we shouldn't be committing the same mistake a second time!

I've lowered my expectations though and a CL elimination won't affect me as badly as it did in the last two seasons. Bayern has the squad to go all the way all we need is to peak at the right time anc a slice of luck!
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Isabella » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 am

dewajack wrote:I think it's important to be patient and see if they can get the right chemistry together at the right time. The CL is all about peaking at the right time, as well as hoping you're healthy.

Last year we had the "peaking at the right time", just missed the healthy and the lucky parts...
If someone (both Lewy and Carlo because sometimes someone need to stop Lewy and make him remember who the priority is the CL and not his damned Torjägerkanone) learned the lesson from last year we have a chance to make a good run in CL...
Isabella
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Italy

Postby America USA » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Isabella wrote:
dewajack wrote:I think it's important to be patient and see if they can get the right chemistry together at the right time. The CL is all about peaking at the right time, as well as hoping you're healthy.

Last year we had the "peaking at the right time", just missed the healthy and the lucky parts...
If someone (both Lewy and Carlo because sometimes someone need to stop Lewy and make him remember who the priority is the CL and not his damned Torjägerkanone) learned the lesson from last year we have a chance to make a good run in CL...

This is true. Bayern were hitting form at the right time last year. Then April happened.. Injuries to Neuer, Müller and Costa and the Defeat to Hoffenheim somewhat dented our momentum. Then Lewandowski and Hummels got injured. If that wasn't enough the referees made sure to finish Bayern off. (in both legs actually, yes Martinez sending off was soft! and had it been someone like Pique/Mascherano who play for UEFA's darling club they would have got away with the second yellow and let's not get started about what happened at Madrid!)

Hopefully Carlo, the players, the board and the club at large have learned their lessons from last season.
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm

I think this peaking at the right time thing is a myth. Obviously there will be times when we play better and hopefully that will be in the latter part of the season, but last season we weren't just a bit worse at other times. It wasn't about not being in peak form, we were mostly bad. This needs to change because we really seemed clueless at times.

Look at teams like Real or Bayern in the last few years. We don't talk about when they're in peak form, we talk about at which point in the season they'll be playing a bit worse. In 2013 our lowest point was BATE. In Pep's years it was mostly around April which was a big problem. But last season we had to speak about being in peak form because that good form wasn't the norm. Our average performances left a lot to be desired, in my opinion.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DenElektrieker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 am

#12 wrote:So you're glad with a repetition of the single most successful season in a 117 years old club? Good
Guess it's ok to dream... Realistically speaking, the CL ship has sailed for us...

Realistically RM shouldn't be able to have won the cl twice in a row. yet it did.
It's not a dream, it's achieveable, you simply need a good trainer, players and money to bribe refs, I don't see the problem.

:coffee:
DenElektrieker
Hey, I'm new here!

2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby #12 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 am

DenElektrieker wrote:

Realistically RM shouldn't be able to have won the cl twice in a row. yet it did.
It's not a dream, it's achieveable, you simply need a good trainer, players and money to bribe refs, I don't see the problem.

No that's statistically, there's a difference... They had the most superior squad - and they still do... We don't have a good coach, we don't have overall better players, and SOME OF US are not in kindergarten and saw that RM more than deserved to go through what with Manu's ears already glowing red from all the fireworks around his head...

Face it: it IS a dream - and IMHO, it'll remain just that for years to come

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:02 am

DenElektrieker wrote:

Huh, what's not realistic about that? Certainly they had luck on their side both times but they have a very good team. Remember, it's actually 3 in 4 years.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I think this peaking at the right time thing is a myth. Obviously there will be times when we play better and hopefully that will be in the latter part of the season, but last season we weren't just a bit worse at other times. It wasn't about not being in peak form, we were mostly bad. This needs to change because we really seemed clueless at times.

Look at teams like Real or Bayern in the last few years. We don't talk about when they're in peak form, we talk about at which point in the season they'll be playing a bit worse. In 2013 our lowest point was BATE. In Pep's years it was mostly around April which was a big problem. But last season we had to speak about being in peak form because that good form wasn't the norm. Our average performances left a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

I think it's a bit overblown too. Nine times out of ten teams that do well play consistently well throughout the whole of the season. Naturally some improvement is to be expected, but it's pretty rare that you see a team playing mediocre suddenly flip the switch and make something truly impressive happen late in the season. Does it happen? Sure....but it's rare.

That being said... I'm not buying that we "peaked at the right time" last year in the first place. We peaked in March. That's not the right time of the year no matter how you slice it. Injuries didn't help, sendings off didn't help, but IMO a failure to adequately rotate our players and adjust tactics was every bit as big of a problem, if not more so. I'm not willing to simply chalk up all our failures to injury or poor refereeing. Most bad situations we got in were avoidable to some degree. We peaked much too early, if you believe in that sort of thing.
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Well, seeing that we stand no chance against RM at all if we're not on our absolute peak, we did... Just that we ruined it ourselves and even our peak wasn't good enough since we were already in a comfortable trot before...

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:46 pm

I still want a very hard group for Bayern followed by easier opponents in the Ro16 & QF. That's the only way Ancelotti can get his head out of the sand. A tough group will force the manager to think out of the box and push the players to give their best.

Bayern's mental strength will be put to test and if they're not up for it then perhaps they deserve to fail. Maybe then something drastic would happen as a reaction.

Bayern Barcelona Tottenham Feyenoord
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 am

America USA wrote:I still want a very hard group for Bayern followed by easier opponents in the Ro16 & QF. That's the only way Ancelotti can get his head out of the sand. A tough group will force the manager to think out of the box and push the players to give their best.

Bayern's mental strength will be put to test and if they're not up for it then perhaps they deserve to fail. Maybe then something drastic would happen as a reaction.

With our form we'd be lucky to get 3rd place in such a group.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:59 pm

MUTU wrote:
America USA wrote:I still want a very hard group for Bayern followed by easier opponents in the Ro16 & QF. That's the only way Ancelotti can get his head out of the sand. A tough group will force the manager to think out of the box and push the players to give their best.

With our form we'd be lucky to get 3rd place in such a group.

So be it! We are Bayern for gods sake. If we can't get past that group then we deserve everything that's coming to us. In the worst case scenario Bayern must take the group stage elimination on the chin and do some serious introspection.

Maybe then some serious steps will be taken in the right direction for the betterment of the club.
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Let's not exaggerate, we would finish 2nd in that group.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League