You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: [2017-08-24] 2017-18 Champions League group stage draw

Postby #12 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

The impressive run already ended a year ago - people just choose to ignore it because it's easier to blame the ref when you're completely harmless in the opponent's half
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't think the transfer window was disappointing. We got a CB we needed, Tolisso is a great prospect, we got a creative midfielder we needed, and we got rid of Costa. All good. It's Carlo's tactics that are utterly disappointing. If he fails this season, I hope we send him packing and bring Nagelsmann in.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SrLuisGuilherme » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Please let us draw an English team and embarrass them
CARLO RAUS
SrLuisGuilherme
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby Ed. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:02 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:I don't think the transfer window was disappointing. We got a CB we needed, Tolisso is a great prospect, we got a creative midfielder we needed, and we got rid of Costa. All good. It's Carlo's tactics that are utterly disappointing. If he fails this season, I hope we send him packing and bring Nagelsmann in.

Yes, that's all good and we'll boss the BL again but none of the transfers so far makes the first XI a better team than last year. Tolisso seems excellent ,yes, and his energy and versatility adds something to this team but we've lost Alonso and though I wasn't his biggest fan, and as much as he was maligned in this forum, he did bring a measure of control and a larger passing range to our midfield. So, we've added something and lost something. Again, I don't see any overall improvement.

We haven't addressed the most important issue in the team, i.e replacements for Ribery and Robben. This has been beaten to death in other threads, so I don't want to derail this one, but world class options should have been brought in over 2 seasons, since we certainly are not the club to splash out 100mil+ in one transfer window.

Agree with #12's comment above. A lot of people in the forum have been blinded by the referee mistakes against Real and don't see that offensively, we did not really hurt them consistently over 2 legs (when it was XI vs XI). Robben and Lewandowski are our only 2 difference makers and Robben is going to be 34 this season. In addition, the guy still insists on playing for the NT, and given that he is made of glass, only a foolishly optimistic fan will expect him not to miss a chunk of games.
Ed.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Ed. wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:I don't think the transfer window was disappointing. We got a CB we needed, Tolisso is a great prospect, we got a creative midfielder we needed, and we got rid of Costa. All good. It's Carlo's tactics that are utterly disappointing. If he fails this season, I hope we send him packing and bring Nagelsmann in.

Yes, that's all good and we'll boss the BL again but none of the transfers so far makes the first XI a better team than last year. Tolisso seems excellent ,yes, and his energy and versatility adds something to this team but we've lost Alonso and though I wasn't his biggest fan, and as much as he was maligned in this forum, he did bring a measure of control and a larger passing range to our midfield. So, we've added something and lost something. Again, I don't see any overall improvement.

We haven't addressed the most important issue in the team, i.e replacements for Ribery and Robben. This has been beaten to death in other threads, so I don't want to derail this one, but world class options should have been brought in over 2 seasons, since we certainly are not the club to splash out 100mil+ in one transfer window.

Agree with #12's comment above. A lot of people in the forum have been blinded by the referee mistakes against Real and don't see that offensively, we did not really hurt them consistently over 2 legs (when it was XI vs XI). Robben and Lewandowski are our only 2 difference makers and Robben is going to be 34 this season. In addition, the guy still insists on playing for the NT, and given that he is made of glass, only a foolishly optimistic fan will expect him not to miss a chunk of games.
In my opinion, it's a matter of tunnel vision asking for Robbery successors. There are other ways to play football besides focusing on wingplay. James covers our main deficiency, which was creativity, and Thiago can do regista BETTER than Alonso. It's only a matter of finding the right system and tactics to accommodate the players we have. An attacking trio of Müller+Lewy+James would be fantastic in the right shape and under the right tactics.

PunkCapitalist

Postby #12 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:08 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
Ed. wrote:

In my opinion, it's a matter of tunnel vision asking for Robbery successors. There are other ways to play football besides focusing on wingplay. James covers our main deficiency, which was creativity, and Thiago can do regista BETTER than Alonso. It's only a matter of finding the right system and tactics to accommodate the players we have. An attacking trio of Müller+Lewy+James would be fantastic in the right shape and under the right tactics.

Question is whose tunnel vision though...

Cause apparently, Ancelotti wanted EXACTLY those players (Tolisso&James) - and the board bought them... Do they talk about concepts, vision, goals? Cause either they don't and the board is listening to the coach nonreflective, or the coach has no idea at all...

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Firefox1234 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 pm

The new season is hardly hear and we got the doom and gloom from the usual suspects smh....

I don't know how you can look at this transfer window and call it a disappointment. Bayern have more or less covered all the bases with quality players and they got a world class player in James on very good terms. End of the day stuff like this is all about perspective, you can either enter a season as a glass half full or half empty guy....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:The new season is hardly hear and we got the doom and gloom from the usual suspects smh....

I don't know how you can look at this transfer window and call it a disappointment. Bayern have more or less covered all the bases with quality players and they got a world class player in James on very good terms. End of the day stuff like this is all about perspective, you can either enter a season as a glass half full or half empty guy....

Depends on what you expected... A complete overhaul of our concept and style of play might work - but will take time... Endangering IMMEDIATE success for our best aged players... Might be disappointing...
And if we continue to play like this we SHOULD be disappointed, cause our biggest issues remain unfixed...

So far, I'd say it was a decent window... We'll have to wait and see...

National Flag:
Germany

Re: 2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Ajax and Nice are already playing in this round :o

I read that apart from those two, Sevilla, Liverpool and Napoli might also be drawn against Hoffenheim :twisted:

Do they have any new interesting player apart from Gnabry? How does their current lineup look like? Hope they make it to the group stage [-o<
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:Ajax and Nice are already playing in this round :o

I read that apart from those two, Sevilla, Liverpool and Napoli might also be drawn against Hoffenheim :twisted:

Do they have any new interesting player apart from Gnabry? How does their current lineup look like? Hope they make it to the group stage [-o<
I was looking for this thread to write about that match.... nice v ajax

Re TSGH. Last time I was reading from our website and when referring to Gnabry's next destination they wrote that he will be gaining experience especially since the his new team will be in the Europa League...
I guess that they were not wrong

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby YlonenXabi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:54 pm

This is interesting and proves that Serie A is far from BL

2010 Werder Bremen - Sampdoria
2011 Arsenal - Udinese
2012 Braga - Udinese
2013 Milan - PSV
2014 Athletic - Napoli
2015 Bayer Leverkusen - Lazio
2016 Porto - Roma

Since 2010, only AC MIlan in 2013 has made it from the qualifiers to the group stage.

On the other hand, I think that except Gladbach against Dynamo Kiev in 2012, BL teams have always qualified.

And what makes it better is that it is Italy's 3rd best team against Germanys 4th :lol:
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby DenElektrieker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 pm

For me it does not matter who we play really. Main goal is to learn and improve.
Qualifying is a must ofcourse. But this year I simply want the squad to give me the feeling of confidence and being invincible. A 1000% good feeling towards the next rounds.
Rivals needs to fear us again instead of being confident of exposing us.
2013 reharsh and i'm glad.

sheers :coffee:
DenElektrieker
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby #12 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 pm

So you're glad with a repetition of the single most successful season in a 117 years old club? Good
Guess it's ok to dream... Realistically speaking, the CL ship has sailed for us...

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:58 am

#12 wrote:So you're glad with a repetition of the single most successful season in a 117 years old club? Good
Guess it's ok to dream... Realistically speaking, the CL ship has sailed for us...
It hasn't sailed, not yet. We have the squad to win it. The problem is that, because of its composition, it would require some fine management... And departing from both 4231 and possession-obsession tactics.

PunkCapitalist

Postby dewajack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 am

I think it's important to be patient and see if they can get the right chemistry together at the right time. The CL is all about peaking at the right time, as well as hoping you're healthy.
dewajack
Woah, this feels cool!

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League