You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2016/2017 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2016/2017 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby America USA » Mon May 22, 2017 5:04 pm

If I was Allegri I would rest at least ten regular starters in the game against Bologna. Would only start Buffon and Higuain. Higuain has that goal record to achieve and Buffon is the number one in the Serie A matches.

Rest Alves, Sandro, Marchisio, Pjanic, Dybala, Mandzukic and Cuadrado. Also don't start Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini, keep them on the bench.

They have already won the league and winning the Treble must be their number one priority. The game against Bologna is a dead rubber in the true sense. Bologna are a mid table team assured of survival. Both teams have nothing to play for in this match. Plus Real Madrid have already ended their La liga campaign and don't play until the CL final so it makes sense for Juventus to rest all of their important first team players to keep them fresh and avoid any unnecessary injuries before the final.

Play the kids along with squad members like Benatia, Sturaro and Lemina. Come on Gigi win the European Cup! Forza Juve.
Last edited by America USA on Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm

America USA wrote:^ UEFA killed the competition when it allowed the top four from the big nations to enter the tournament. I seriously think the name "Champions League " is a misnomer. Liverpool who have not won their Domestic league in 27 years and have failed to win the FA cup since 2006 have got no business being in the CL.

It just goes beyond that. The concentration of power and quality in the top teams of the top leagues is independent from the UEFA format. Liverpool hasn't been in the CL for ages and yet they are a much more powerful side than, say, Shaktar. It's just the Dynamics of the football market.

I think the current UEFA format does good at reflecting that market reality. No point in having the champions of small leagues being destroyed year after year, if you can have an interesting and more equal match between a league champions and a 2-4th placed team from another top league. If anything, letting all champions into pot 1 creates uneven and unfair group distributions.

At the core, the CL is just about the best teams in Europe facing each other.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Mon May 22, 2017 5:13 pm

^ A major reason why I believe the English clubs are so popular globally is because of the legacy of the British Empire. English is still spoken widely in former colonies and that helps a lot. Plus the Premier League did a terrific job of building its brand during the late 90's and early 00's (something that the BL has been trying to do since Bayern's Treble win). Also, not many countries speak Russian and Greek so that's a big handicap for teams from Eastern Europe.
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 pm

America USA wrote:I am amongst one of those people who believes that the Champions League should be for League Champions only and the Europa League should be for the Domestic Cup Winners only. In case a team wins the double then there should be a play off between the second positioned team in the domestic league and the runners up of the domestic Cup to determine the EL spot.

I hope you do realise that these two competitions you mentioned used to exist before, right? They were the former European Cup and the Cup Winners' Cup. Neither is considered as prestigious as the Champions League which is much more difficult to win. In fact, at least until 2nd June, no team has won it twice in a row, unlike the European Cup. The winner of the league in one season is not necessarily the best team the following season. Just look at Leicester City, are they currently the best English club? Sure, they survived a few CL rounds, but one could argue that they were lucky in the draws, especially the group stage.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby America USA » Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm

^ tbf I support a European Super Cup competition select the best 5 teams from the best 5 nations plus entry to champions of other nations like Portugal, Russia and Netherlands . I'd then have no problem with it. Just be honest. Don't use the word "Champions " league when teams likes Liverpool, Tottenham, Napoli and Sevilla play in the CL , who have not won their domestic title in ages!
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 pm

nm462272 wrote:That idea doesn't really work though, since it would be even easier for the top teams to win the CL. It reduces competition by nature of removing many top teams. Instead of 8-10 teams starting as potential winners, that would drop to 3-4.

And yet if you look at recent winners and finalists they're all from the same country. There isn't really that much diversity right now. This system would reduce the number of teams from each association to just one and therefore increase diversity compared to what we have right now.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon May 22, 2017 5:35 pm

nm462272 wrote:maybe, but the spending disparity is too great nowadays, as is the quality of teams. Sure, you'd have some smaller teams make it into the knockout stages, but there is a small chance that domestic champions of a smaller league would progress against a Bayern, Juve, Barca/Real, etc.

An interesting discussion. I think it works the other way round too. By having fewer teams from the big leagues (who spend more), the chances of so-called smaller teams facing one is less. Anyone can eliminate someone like Bayern on a good day, but few will manage to win the trophy if after eliminating Barca, they have to eliminate Real, then Bayern, etc.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon May 22, 2017 5:37 pm

America USA wrote:^ A major reason why I believe the English clubs are so popular globally is because of the legacy of the British Empire. English is still spoken widely in former colonies and that helps a lot. Plus the Premier League did a terrific job of building its brand during the late 90's and early 00's (something that the BL has been trying to do since Bayern's Treble win). Also, not many countries speak Russian and Greek so that's a big handicap for teams from Eastern Europe.

I agree completely! That's also the source of la Liga's huge popularity. In South America, probably 2 out of 3 football fans are either Barça or Madrid's. But all of that is a part of the market Dynamics, which the UEFA format has little to do with.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Postby America USA » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 pm

If anyone still has any doubts about whom to support in the CL final then check this out-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Lahm.html

Buffon is a legend and a true gentleman. I hope he wins it at Cardiff on 3rd June 2017. Really really hope that Juventus can complete the Treble. Forza Juve!
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Effenberg777 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Scam!
Effenberg777
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
El Salvador

Postby America USA » Wed May 24, 2017 11:36 pm

I'd like Bayern to be in a group of death next season. It'll prepare the players mentally for the knockout stages. Also if getting a tough group is followed by a relatively easy Ro16 and QF draw, then I'm all for it!

Bayern Munich
Barcelona
Tottenham Hotspurs
Feyenoord Rotterdam

That'll be some group. Also going to play in front of hostile away fans at Camp Nou, Wembley and De Kuip would be a great challenge for us. A test which if we pass will make the guys more tougher.

Barcelona are not as strong as they were a couple of years ago. Spurs will not be playing at WHL and Rotterdam shouldn't be a very difficult opponent.
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby #12 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:51 pm

None of these teams seem like much of a challenge (currently)...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 am

On a side note. If Bayern gets Real Madrid again in the UCL then I'd highly recommend playing in the black away attire at the Bernabeu. They call us the Bestia Negra and maybe playing in black would fulfill that title and help us out! :wink:
America USA
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby #12 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am

We've lost all that aura in the last two encounters... They used to always lose in Germany and especially Munich... Then came Guardiola and Ancelotti...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby nm462272 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:36 am

unfortunately the beast has been tamed :oops:
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League