You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2014-11-29] Hertha BSC vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the German Bundesliga matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Hertha BSC will win
No votes
It will end in a draw
No votes
Bayern Munich will win
100%

Total votes : 7

Re: [2014-11-29] Hertha BSC vs Bayern Munich

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35 am

quaazi wrote:Gomez was really odd in that way, he missed just as many clear chances as Lewa does these days, but he had a whole 'nuther style of play. So he scored more because he had a superb sense of positioning himself in the box as well as an almost perfect physical frame for a striker (even if I wish he had used it more). So he scored more goals while contributing to the buildup less. Only makes sense that he played well in a more rigid system than he would now under a more fluid system. It's all about tradeoffs. We have a lot more options in our play, but we can't really count on loose balls/aimless crosses being converted as reliably.

First time I see you writing anything positive about Gomez in a while.

Gomez missed a lot of chances, but I don't care about how many misses a player has, only about his number of goals. Gomez had such great positioning that he consistently had far more clear chances than anyone else who played in his position with the same teammates. He scored more and he missed more.

Likewise (as even I am bored of the Gomez discussions now), I don't want to discuss how many times Lewandowski missed. What matters is how many he scored. I hope for an average of 0.7 goals per game from Lewandowski. Right now he's at 0.5 which isn't too far off. If he returns 0.7 goals per game, consistently, against every opposition, I couldn't care less if he scores from every chance or if he misses 35 point-blank sitters each match. Only the goals. Because, at the end of the day, the match is won by having scored more than the opposition, not by having missed fewer chances.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Sorry for bringing on the never ending Gomez discussion once again ( :twisted: ) but I'm sure that Gomez wouldn't be near as prolific for Pep's Bayern as he was in his best years. As you said, he was really smart in the box and was always well positioned to find goal chances. But that's not what the striker does in Pep's system. You're not going to see Lewandowski just waiting in the box very often.

Lewy won't score as much as Gomez (almost nobody could do that) but Ribery, Robben, Götze.... will surely add much more goals than in previous seasons and that's one of the reasons why Gomez isn't here even though he was one of the most prolific strikers ever in terms of goals.

But I have to agree with one thing, and it's that Lewy is wasting way too many chances at the moment. But as I said before,I'm sure he will improve that part of his game. He's probably not the best finisher, but a striker of his caliber should've scored some more goals from the easy chances he had in the previous games.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:22 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:But I have to agree with one thing, and it's that Lewy is wasting way too many chances at the moment. But as I said before,I'm sure he will improve that part of his game. He's probably not the best finisher, but a striker of his caliber should've scored some more goals from the easy chances he had in the previous games.

But as I wrote earlier, why are you guys so interested in his misses? It's the amount of goals that matter not the amount of misses. Lewandowski also has quite great positioning and off-the-ball movement (look at his goal against Hoffenheim as an example). It doesn't matter if he misses 60 sitters a match, what matters is how many he scores. Right now, the amount he's scored is less than expected but it isn't disappointing either.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:21 pm

That's an interesting point of view :P but I can't agree with it.

Let's put this Hertha game as an example. Lewy had at least two clear goal chances that could have finished the game... but he couldn't convert them, therefore Hertha still had one or two goal chances in the final moments of the match that could have cost us 2 points. Goal-ratio is important, but the most important thing is when are those goals scored.

But the good thing is that he's actually finding those goal chances, and it's just a matter of time until he starts scoring more often from those. Nothing to worry about at the moment. As I said before, I see him as a big game performer and we're already done in Bundesliga and CL group stage. His time will come in a few months.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:30 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:That's an interesting point of view :P but I can't agree with it.

Let's put this Hertha game as an example. Lewy had at least two clear goal chances that could have finished the game... but he couldn't convert them, therefore Hertha still had one or two goal chances in the final moments of the match that could have cost us 2 points. Goal-ratio is important, but the most important thing is when are those goals scored.

But the good thing is that he's actually finding those goal chances, and it's just a matter of time until he starts scoring more often from those. Nothing to worry about at the moment. As I said before, I see him as a big game performer and we're already done in Bundesliga and CL group stage. His time will come in a few months.

I'm not convinced you understood my point. So let me bring another example.

Player A and Player B are playing for the same team at the same time in parallel universes.

Player A positions himself well with every attack, and has 10 really good chances, but only scores 1 (9 misses).

Player B has shit positioning. Every time his team attacks, he's somewhere completely different. As a result the player with the ball has nobody to pass to, tries to dribble and loses the ball. However, at one point in the match, player B positions himself well and scores the only chance he got all match (0 misses).

Player A and Player B have thus played for the same team, in the same game (in parallel universes). Both scored 1 goal, but Player A had 9 big misses. Who's the better player? For me, they're equally good. One had better positioning, the other better finishing, but the end result (1 goal) is the same.

In conclusion, the better the positioning, off-the-ball movement and aerial dominance of the striker, the more chances will come his way. By the laws of probability, the more chances a player has, the more misses he will have. Thus, judging a striker by misses rather than goals is exceptionally unfair.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby pyrasur » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:03 pm

:-k ....*shrug* ;)
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag: